“not your average everday view...”

Hotel Duquesne Eiffel
Ranked #194 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Halifax, Canada
“not your average everday view...”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My wife and I and her sister & husband recently spent 3 nights here in May and absolutely loved this hotel; finding the location to be ideally situated and not a far walk to either shops or the tower itself. We had rooms 55 & 56 respectfully (having booked many months in advance) and loved the views and the balconies that these top floor rooms offered. Specifically room 55 (situated on the corner of the building) had a wrap around balcony and offered an unobstructed view from the bathtub and a partial view from the actual bed. Room 56 offered more of a slightly obstructed view from the bed itself (only) as it is turned sideways to the window/door. Both rooms are small but well appointed and comfortable. It was something else to see the tower gradually light up as the sun set and to watch the flickering of all lights at about 10 pm each night for approx 1/2 hour..The hotel staff were quite friendly and more than willing to provide directions and/or advice as needed and we found the restaurant downstairs provided a tasty hot or cold breakfast. While in Paris we were of course delighted with everything that Paris offers, took the hop on hop off bus around the city, toured the top of the Effiel Tower, various museums, the train to Giverny to see Monet's Lilly Pad scene and ate at sidewalk cafes and people watched; something the Parisians seem to do quite frequently. Paris is such a lovely city and the parks are brimming with all sorts of people picniking or lounging about either in the grassy areas or by the many fountains. The city itself seems relatively flat so walking about is fairly easy and relatively safe at least in the day time(?) Language is not an issue and the locals seem to delight in communicating with you even with the diffference. Do not hesitate in booking this delightful hotel..it is a nice way to start your visit to this magnificent city.. Paris..we will definitely return to both..

Room Tip: if wanting the top floors (55,56) we booked approx.10 months in advance.. well worth it :)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
south africa
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a few days during late December 2011. The hotel was nice enough in a good location - we were able to walk to the Eiffel Tower, & there were plenty of restaurants around. The only issue we had was that even though booking (& paying!) over 6 months in advance for a 5th floor room (with a balcony), upon arrival we were told that no rooms were available on the 5th floor by a very surly man at the front desk! We decided to overlook this & enjoy our stay in Paris anyway! We did not use the Metro, instead we got a few days tickets on the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus tour, & used this to travel around Paris while learning some of the history of the city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
OlivierLeeloo, Responsable réception at Hotel Duquesne Eiffel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Hello,
Thank you for having taken time to write this comment.
We’re sorry you didn’t get a room with a view, but to be honest, depending on the periods, they’re sometimes booked a year in advance, and when you don’t reserve directly with us, there is no possibility to us to let you know about our availability (booking.com can’t know if the superior room available does have a view or not).
I’m a bit surprised by the attitude of the front desk; it is really unusual (as you can see in the other comments).
All in all, we are really glad that you enjoyed your Parisian experience and hope to see you back soon!
Hello,
Thank you for having taken time to write this comment.
Mason, Michigan
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I had booked this hotel as part of our 25th Wedding Anniversary through Hotels.com. I had written in there about our anniversary and had booked six months in advance. Our Room 34 did not have a view of the tower unless you opened the window and stuck your head way out and looked to the right, so that was pretty disappointing, especially since I had booked this specific hotel to have that view.

The reception was uber nice and went out of their way to make sure they answered all of our questions about transportation, things to see and do, and making dinner reservations. The hallways are a little worn and I was unaware the breakfast wasn't included until after the fact, which was my fault for not asking, but that could have been made more clear upon check-in. It was a fine breakfast, but not worth 13 Euro apiece that we had to pay.

The taxi stand is two blocks away. The Eiffel tower was within walking distance. There's a nice little restaurant, Le Duquesne, right next door where you can sit and watch the tower on the sidewalk patio and have wonderful escargot. Overall we enjoyed our stay, but had I known I wouldn't have had a view for our anniversary, I probably would have chosen a hotel located in a more happening area.

1 Thank igo2travel
Hello,

Thank you for your comment. We are glad that you choose our establishment for your wedding anniversary. About the rooms with a view of the Eiffel Tower, please note than no website can guarantee you a room with a view, the only way to make sure you’ll get one is to check the availability with the hotel.

We are glad that you noticed the kindness of the staff as the customer service is really important to us.

About the breakfast, we are keeping on improving it and take note of your comment.

We would be happy to welcome you back again, in a room with a view this time!

San Diego, California
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights. Great location. Amazingly helpful staff. (Many thanks to Laetitia!) View of Eiffel Tower is worth a little extra. As others have noted, the rooms are small but you shouldn't really be in the room much. Skip the restaurant next door - a short walk towards the Metro, Eiffel Tower, and Rue Cler is well worth the extra effort. Some great parks just down the street for kids.

Room Tip: Get a view of the Eiffel Tower.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
OlivierLeeloo, Responsable réception at Hotel Duquesne Eiffel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Hello,

Thank you so much for having taken time to write this nice review.
The customer satisfaction is our main concern and we'll especially thank Laetitia for you!
We're really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and would be really happy to wlecome you back in the near future!

In the meantime, please follow us on twitter and/ or Facebook.

Washington, DC
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Hotel Duquesne Eiffel is a very nice hotel and the views of the Eiffel Tower is the reason to stay here. The location is great - near the Metro and just around the corner from the Les Invalides and of course the Eiffel Tower is easy walk. The room was small - but I do not spend time in the room anyways, so no big deal. There is a little bakery near the hotel that you pass on the way to the Metro. I would stay again at this hotel

Room Tip: Book rooms with Eiffel Tower views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
OlivierLeeloo, Responsable réception at Hotel Duquesne Eiffel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hello,

Thank you very much for your nice comment. It’s always a pleasure to read such nice feedbacks, and we’re happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Duquesne Eiffel!

We would love to welcome you back on your next trip, in the meantime, please follow us on Facebook and/or twitter to keep in touch!

Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Me and my daughter stayed here for a weekend in mid-April. As it was a special trip for my daughter's birthday, I booked well in advance (eight months to be exact!) in order to get the best room, which I was reliably informed was room 55.

I booked via email with the hotel direct and, whilst the staff could not have been more helpful both before and during our stay, I was a little disappointed that the hotel did nothing to acknowledge my daughter's birthday - not so much as a banner or a little cake. Disappointing, especially given that I had specifically advised them it was a trip for my daughter's birthday.

The room itself was smaller than I expected and the TV didn't work properly - it switched itself off at regular 10-minute intervals, plus I couldn't get the subtitles to disappear from the screen. These were minor annoyances, and we didn't go to Paris to watch TV all day, but for the price of the room I'd expect to have a TV that works.

The room was very clean and tidy and the view - directly of the Eiffel Tower - is spectacular. One of the nicest things about the room is that, being situated on a corner, it has two sets of opening doors and a private balcony which runs right around the corner of the building, connecting the two doors. Me and my daughter loved standing out there in the evenings watching the 10pm light show on the Eiffel Tower. One other thing I should mention is that rooms must have good soundproofing - I did not hear noise from any other guests for all the time we were there, which is quite different from my usual experiences of staying in hotels!

The block which the hotel is on had a few shops which were closed for the duration of our stay, and it felt a bit desolate. However, there is a pharmacy and a grocery store on the corner of the next block, as well as several pavement cafes within a 5-min walk of the hotel - we found one which did a continental breakfast for 7 euros apiece, not bad at all. There are a number of eateries within easy walking distance and the cost each night was around 60 euros for the two of us, including half a bottle of red wine for me - not badly priced for central Paris, I thought.

As for attractions, the Eiffel Tower is a 10-min walk and from there we walked along the Seine a little and then jumped on a Batobus (hop on/hop off) which took us to Notre Dame and the Louvre. On another day, the Arc de Triomphe took us about 20 mins to walk to from the Eiffel Tower and then we walked along the Champs Elysees.

The hotel is situated close to the Ecole Militaire underground station which we found very handy for connecting onto other lines. On the way there we managed to get from the airport by train and then underground without too much difficulty, but on the way home we booked the shuttle through the hotel and for 38 euros I thought this was worth it.

I've been to Paris three times before but not for many years and this was the first time with my daughter. I have always previously stayed in quite modest hotels but, as my daughter had long wished to visit Paris, I splashed out a bit for this occasion to get her 'a room with a view'. She absolutely loved it and I am already saving up for another trip. We'll go to a different hotel next time, though - not because this one wasn't good, but because it could have been better.

Room Tip: Room 55 - the Gustave Eiffel room - has the best view of the Eiffel Tower. As it's on the corner...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
OlivierLeeloo, Responsable réception at Hotel Duquesne Eiffel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Hello,
Thank you very much for your lovely comment. We’re really glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we do really hope that your daughter had a good time in Paris!
We’re so sorry you felt like we didn’t care of your daughter’s birthday, it’s just that we usually offer a bottle of champagne for such events and we didn’t know if your daughter was old enough to drink champagne (and apart of the little snacks, it’s forbidden to eat in the rooms)
About the TV, we do apologize for the inconvenience. We’re changing the entire system and unfortunately it is still having little bugs. We are really sorry about that as we try to provide the best service as possible, and it’s always frustrating when something is going wrong and there is nothing we can do about.
All in all, thank you for having taken time to comment about your stay in our establishment.
Indiana
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Hotel was nice. We had a corner room which was small - expected in Paris. I would recommend a high corner room for a great view of the Eiffel Tower. We were on floor 1, and could see it but would be better higher up. Bathroom was average. Bed was comfortable. Staff was helpful and friendly. Would recommend the hotel to a friend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank timmsteiner
Hello,

Thank you so much for you nice comment. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay in Paris.

It’s always a real pleasure for us when a customer is satisfied, that’s the purpose of our job.

We would be happy to welcome you on your next trip to Paris! In the meantime let’s keep in touch through Facebook and or twitter.

Best regards