“Definitely not 4 Star!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Carlton's

Hotel Carlton's
Ranked #946 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
A TripAdvisor Member
“Definitely not 4 Star!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We changed from a three star to this 'four star' a couple of weeks before our arrival. To say disappointed would be an understatement.
We booked this hotel via Club Travel as part of a rugby package. My other half purchased as a gift for my birthday. Mixing our love for the game with a romantic break in the city of love was perfect... Until we got there!!

After reading the reviews on trip advisor I personally touched base with the hotel to request a double bed. I also mentioned if there was an upgrade available we would be happy to pay. (You'll read a lot of reviews on here about split singles)
After dealing with a lovely guy called Sebastian he assured me he would put in the request of a double bed with bonus of a view of the sacre couer.
On a arrival (Friday the 14th, about 6pm) we were greeted by the most arrogant & unhelpful receptionist I have ever come across. I unfortunately didn't get his name.
We checked into our room... Two single beds, a view of the top of the sacre coure. We called down to reception to explain we had spoken to Sebastian during the week and he knew nothing about it. We requested a room change and we were told 'no there's nothing that can be done'. I requested to speak to Sebastian, he was off. Requested a manager, not one available. After arguing with me I asked something be done for next night. Nothing happened. No call from anyone. Completely forgotten about.
On departure we were lucky enough to be checking out with the same guy. We were told out collection bus had not yet arrived. We sat in reception for 15 minutes and asked him if he was sure no1 came from our agent. He said no. We asked for a contact number for our agent, he told us he didn't have one that was bookings job. Extremely unhelpful!!
Turned out our bus arrived & he was in the breakfast bar so didn't see them. He made no effort to point us in the right direction of the airport literally shrugged his shoulders at us.

Definitely won't stay here again.

Things to note about this hotel. It's in the red light district of the city. Every shop on the street is a sex shop. So not recommended for children. We don't have any so got a kick out of it.

Cons: Small Rooms. Extremely Outdated. Single beds. No atmosphere in place. Bar consists of four tables and is empty. I think I seen a bar tender behind the bar once during our stay. The particular reception guy is 'only reception' and has zero customer service skills.

Pro: close proximity to stade de France €20 in taxi. (Get one on the street though because the hotel won't call one for you)
Wifi
Ireland taking the championship!!

Wouldn't recommend for romance, families or girly breaks.
Would recommend for a bunch of alcoholic adolescents looking for expensive booze, hostel type accommodation & women!

Taxi drivers were decent enough and constantly available. Metered too so you weren't getting screwed!

Note: Beers & wine very expensive along this street with most places upping their prices by €1 after 9pm.

We were charged €22 for one class of Chardonnay & pint of Heineken.... At 8:50pm!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Beverley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

After an enjoyable train journey to London and then Eurostar we arrived in Paris.We took a registered Taxi(with green light) to our Hotel.Efficient registration and friendly staff.Room was 712
was quite small but immaculately clean and had plenty of wardrobe space.Double bed had lovely fresh cotton sheets and extra pillow in wardrobe if needed.Tea and coffee making faclities and mini-fridge.Air conditioning and windows opened.Bathroom very good size and pleasant surprise on opening the large arched window!!Look left and the Sacre Coeur is very close and beautifully lit up in the evening!!What a view!!Good Continental breakfast-all quality foods.Also pleasant bar and sitting areas off reception where it is possible to order a drink.Over all we felt happy here and would stay again.It is a good base.Just down the road to the right you can visit the Tourist info hut and buy tickets for the "hop on and off bus". Thankyou to the lovely staff!!

Room Tip: Our friends in 711 had a slightly bigger room with a Juliette balcony and better view of the Sacre C...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rose9865y
CARLTON75, Responsable réception at Hotel Carlton's, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback, we hope to welcome you again for your next stay in Paris
Bonassola, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Terrace view is a must. Rooms are clean, well furnished and serviced. We had perfect welcome and quick check-in and check-out. You leave with the desire to stay more. Close to subway stations and anyway a short walk from everywhere in Paris. Sacre Coeur is just to be stepped up to. To be recommended for any weekend, romantic or touristic stay in Paris.

Room Tip: Any room is quiet and view is guaranteed on top terrace
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Xtz
CARLTON75, Responsable réception at Hotel Carlton's, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback, we are glad to read that to had a good experience at the hotel Carlton's and we hope to welcome you again.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

We had a good stay at this hotel. It is conveniently located, our family room (intercommunicating rooms) was convenient and clean and had a good view of the Sacre Coeur. The breakfast buffet was fine. We loved having access to the roof terrace to take a few rooftop pictures of the city. But it feels like a three star experience, not a more luxurious four star one as there were a few small niggles: we struggled to close the door between our rooms, the kids' room was on the small side, the carpets were slightly tired-looking in places, the bath lacked a plug etc. Still, all in all, perfectly reasonable.

Room Tip: Good views and probably less noise from rooms further up.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank karino
Thank you for your comment, your feedback is important for us in order to improve our services. We are actually doing renovations in the hotel, and we hope to welcome you again.
Navan, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

very good hotel in very good location, staff very nice, could not fault one thing, we stayed there 3 nights, had a room on 7th. floor, had a great view of the city. close to metro stations, hop on hop off buses just 100 metre from hotel door.breakfast good,we will stay there again next time we visit paris.we got shuttle bus from c d g return.dont miss the view from the roof, 9th floor.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
We thank you for your comment, it is always a pleasure to read that you had a great stay with us.
We look forward to welcome you again.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

I was misled by good reviews of this hotel. I guess that this hotel was good at one point but that is not the case anymore. We arrived on Jan 27 and were informed that they do not have double room (room with single large bed) they have only twin room (room with two small beds)
We went to see the room and the beds were almost kid's size.. so do we have to sleep separately on our romantic vacation.. are you kidding me? I went back and asked for a manager, explained situation to him. He did not apologize, did not smile just informed me that if I want a single bed room I need to pay for upgrade. I agreed so they change our room.
Besides the fact that there was a single bed in the room I did not notice any kind of upgrade at all. Also the bed was made up of two mattresses instead of one, so if you try to sleep on the middle of the bed the mattresses kept drifting apart from each other which created a crack in the bed. Internet didn't work at all, I could not check my work emails, forget the facebook. You have to chase the signal in the room, and if you lucky and get connected it took two-three min to open the page. It also kept disconnecting.. I eventually gave up and went to find a cafe with wifi.
Another thing is that they don't give you fresh towels unless you ask them , it is part of their "eco-friendly program" there were no any lotions or shampoos in the bathroom either, I'm assuming you have to ask for it too but I didn't bother, just used my own staff. There is no soap bars, only big plastic bottle on the wall with liquid soap that you have to squeeze very hard several times to get any soap out of it. The one thing I kept wandering about is that if they are so eco-friendly why they provide plastic cups wrapped in plastic instead of regular reusable glasses like all other hotels do?.. doesn't seem eco-friendly to me (see my picts). So taking into consideration everything else they don't bother to fix/spend money on, I really think by not providing anything except liquid soap on the wall they trying to cut costs/expenses and conveniently masquerading it as "eco friendliness"
Breakfast was terrible as well, coffee was old, I didn't like any food except croissants.
Overall during our trip we went to two cities Prague and Paris and stayed in three different hotels and Carlton’s was the worst one. It really spoiled the end of our trip and overall experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anastasia787

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Craigavon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stayed there for 3 nights I think it should be rated again, maximum 2 stars. It was the only part of our holiday that went completely wrong, the hotel.The air cond. and heating weren't working, the breakfast is very, very poor, the conservation of the hotel is bad, there was no atmosphere at all. Don't recommend to anyone. The only thing good is the location but there are other hotels with good location in Paris.
The service we will say was good because of one person Jean Luce(does the night shift) because the rest was really awful. And we worry with our dog in the kennel, hahaha

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback, we regret the experience you had during your stay in our hotel, we will take your comments with importance in order to improve our quality of service.