“Charming and Romantic Paris Hotel”
Review of Hotel Balmoral

Hotel Balmoral
Ranked #77 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a week at the Hotel Balmoral. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and are already planning a return trip. Balmoral is a quaint, charming and romantic hotel. Walking in the front door feels as if you are stepping back into a slower, simpler time. The hotel staff is very friendly, courteous and helpful. Our room was quiet and comfortable; the bathrooms are spacious and modern. The breakfast they serve each morning is amazing and you can order room service until the wee hours (we actually tried this and it was great). The area around the hotel is very beautiful – the Arc de Triomphe and the Champs Elysees are both nearby. We ate at several of the cafes and bistros in the area and always had really good food. We can’t say enough good things about Balmoral – if you’re looking for a charming and romantic Paris hotel at a reasonable cost, you won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 11, 2013

The key to the Balmoral Hotel is its location. As a new adventurer, the fact that the hotel was located off an arc de triomphe spoke and one block from a metro station helped tremendously when it came to finding out hotel after a long day and/or after dark. My daughter and I spent several evenings walking up and down the champs de elysee which was simply extraordinary and so close to our hotel without the location pricetag (somewhat). Also, the hotel is located near so many cafes and a small "grocery" which was convenient.

American visitors need to understand, though, that traditional European hotels simply are not like Americanized hotels. Rooms are so small, stairs are small and winding, elevators might fit two people without luggage, beds are not soft, bedding is much less luxurious, rooms are based on two people and finding something that will house a family of four is incredible difficult, typical European breakfasts do not include eggs or meat, etc. And, finally, everything costs about twice what you expect to pay even before factoring in the exchange rate.

Because we had a family of four, we had to book two rooms in a family area, which meant we had a little hallways to ourselves with two unconnected rooms. Both rooms had television (but on two American news stations -- we watched more news in those four days than we had in months), bathrooms, showers, mini closets and bureaus. But, they were really, really small.

The concierges were excellent and did a marvelous job giving us recommendations and directions. We could also print off directions and tickets on the lobby computer.

What you will not find in this area are the quaint little shops associated with the champs de mars and the movies we all see of Parisian bakeries, cheese shops, etc. But with the metro so close, it's easy to get to one.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel.....especially for single travelers. The hallways are not lit at night (they light as you walk by) and the chain on securing my door was broken. Furthermore, there was someone in my hallway one night making funny noises on my walk in the dark toward the elevator. Instead of going to the lobby, I called the man at the reception and asked him to bring me a converter (which was broken). The staff (with one exception) was pleasant enough but the room is nothing special.

I had to pay extra for a decent bathroom. I checked out early and asked if I could store my luggage in a safe place while I walked around Paris. When I came back to retrieve my luggage, the fellow at the desk could not locate my luggage in the first place that he looked for it. Much to my horror, my luggage was just around the corner from the reception in the lobby. It was relatively close to the door where anyone could have walked in off the street and easily stolen it without the person at the reception noticing. As far as I know, I only saw a locked small closet where only carry-ons (not full sized suitcases) can be safely stored.

The only reason I am giving this hotel two stars is because it is affordable for those traveling on a budget, my bathroom was clean and it is located near the Arc de Truimph and right next to a subway station.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank nicole l
FDAPREMONT, Propriétaire at Hotel Balmoral, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Madam

I am sorry you did not appreciate your stay with us.
We kept your luggage under our supervision during all your stay. When the bags are left next to the reception , they are still under our responsability and we keep them secure. We have never had any problem with this.
As for the converter, we tried it, it works....And for the securing chain in the room, we do apologize. It was broken, we changed it at once.
Despite all of these issues, we hope to welcome you again in the future.
Respectfully.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in June, 2013 for 5 nights with extended family. Collectively, we had 3 rooms.

LOCATION -- very close to Place D'Etoile (Arc de Triomphe) and a block from the Metro. If you are a sightseer, this is a good, but not perfect location, as it's really only near a few of the "big ticket" items. There are also not a ton of truly memorable restaurants or quaint streets in this area. But, if you are not adverse to the Metro, then this is a nice place to stay as it is quiet and away from the really buzzing areas. Our room was very quiet (although we faced inward, to the small courtyard).

FACILITIES -- Typical small-ish Parisian hotel. Narrow, dark hallways with worn carpet and a very small elevator -- but you're not living in the hallways or the elevator. The rooms are also typically small. However, they are very clean and the A/C works perfectly. If you want an icebox as a room, you can have that. The bathrooms all appear to have been renovated and ours had a big double sink and a full bathtub with usual hand-held shower attachment. As noted elsewhere, there is no shower curtain, and only a partial glass "shield" -- my guess is they don't want to encourage long showers. Not a big deal. The cleaning staff was very thorough and efficient. WiFi throughout and a nice but smaller flat screen tv.

STAFF -- I speak decent French, but no matter -- the front desk staff all speak excellent English and are very accommodating to your needs. They will work with you to set up excursions, private vans to the airport, and make decent restaurant recommendations depending on your needs (again, I wouldn't rave about any of the restaurants nearby - but they are sufficient). They are friendly and soon come to recognize you. Honestly, it's better than you will get at any large American hotel.

OVERALL -- the big fear of most who come to Paris for the first time is standing out like a sore thumb and being mocked as typical "touristes". Well, get over that. The city likely has tens of thousands of tourists at any given moment. And most of us are congregating in the big tourist areas with our maps unfolded. The Balmoral gives you a nice retreat from the chaos. It truly began to feel home-like after a few days. If you knew you were going to concentrate most of your time in other areas (like Montparnasse or St. Germain), then you might not want to stay at the Balmoral. However, if you plan on a more "generalist" tour of the city, the Balmoral is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at the Balmoral Hotel for 5 nights for combined business and pleasure. The service was excellent, and the staff very professional and friendly. The breaksfast exceeded my expectations and even here the staff was surprisingly friendly. We felt very much welcome and taken care of. The bathroom was spacious and luxurious.The hotel has a perfect location in a nice neighbourhood. I will definitely recommend this hotel to others and come back at another occation.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TrondheimEva
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here for whilst working for 7 nights 6-13 June. Very impressed, spotlessly clean and with friendly staff who spoke very good English (my French is appalling!).
By UK standards the rooms are rather small, but well appointed - 2 chairs, reading lamp on desk, plenty of hanging space etc. Bed comfortable, and air conditioning that really worked well. Bathroom had a corner bath with shower attachment, so showering was interesting.
Wifi in rooms is free.
Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were look for a friendly Parisian hotel and well...wow...The Balmoral was exactly that. The staff were so friendly, helpful and welcoming. The location was outstanding and the room, although a little small was clean and comfortable. We had a wonderful stay and would definately stay here again. Thank you to the staff for making it such a lovely place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HehlertK
FDAPREMONT, Propriétaire at Hotel Balmoral, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

we are very happy you loved your stay with us. We remember both of you.
All the team here had the opportunity to read your comments, in the name of everybody: thank you !
We really hope to have the pleasure to welcome you soon in the future

Best regards,