“Friendly and Knowledgable staff”

Hotel Opera Frochot
Ranked #700 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I stayed here with my wife for 5 nights and I must say the staff are very friendly. They were 2-3 gents and a lady called Vanessa, she was kind enough to recommend a few restaurants for me and wife to go for dinner after I asked her. The other staff were also friendly, gave us directions to various places. The room was simple and nice, comfortable enough for a couple and very convenient access to the Pigale metro stop. All the souvenir shops/restaurants were also close by along with Moulin Rouge just 5 min away.

My only feedback would be that we booked a taxi with the reception but we didn't know that the taxi would charge by the second if we were late and because we were staying there with my other family members we were also a couple they were just about 10 minutes late and by the time we got to the taxi the meter was already at 20 EUROS! We were very annoyed about that and in the future it would be nice for the hotel staff to let us know in advance. Other wise everything else was amazing and I recommend any couple to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mohammed A
HOTELOPERAFROCHOT, Responsable réception at Hotel Opera Frochot, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2017

Dear Mohammed,

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I was thoroughly impressed with the Opera Frochot. At first I was a bit nervous given the areas seedy reputation. However, it became apparent that the reputation exceeded itself. It was no more or less safe than many parts of Paris. I was traveling with my girlfriend and had no problems late at night. The metro was about a minute walk to the hotel. The metro lines at Pigalle weren't the most convenient for seeing some of the attractions in Paris. I found that I ended up walking to stops in the area to avoid transferring at various lines. Though, for checking out Montmartre, Pigalle was ideal.

The rooms were comfortable and big enough for two people. The shower was a bit small, if I leaned back an inch or two my rear would turn the shower off. For most females this wouldn't be a problem, but I have broad shoulders and had to be careful entering and exiting the shower.

Long story short, for what I paid I don't think I would have got a better deal in Paris. The staff went out of their way to help us several times during our stay. I received some of the best customer service I have ever had while traveling. If the staff could assist in any way, they would. This involved lending a kettle, calling a doctor for my fiancee when she burned herself with the kettle lol, letting us use the microwave, helping me figure out why Orange is such a difficult company to deal with, and where to eat.

I can't comment on the food, but a buffet breakfast for 14-16 Euros might sound extreme, but in Paris this actually a steal. There's a ton of grocery stores in the area to help keep you on budget!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear RyanGTA,

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We spent three nights at this hotel. The room was clean, and perfect for the price we paid. The staff was friendly and helpful, especially Vanessa who made our stay so much better by going beyond what is required of her to assist us. The location is great too, since it is very close to a metro station, and the area is packed with lively little restsurants. Although there are some shady sex shops around, this did not have a negative effect on the ambience. Moulin Rouge is a stone throw away. The shower is very small, but we managed all the same. I would suggest to the hotel to invest in an ice machine. Ice was given to us from trays, which was limited. All in all, a great stay! Merci!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Marius,

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stayed at this hotel as part of a 50th birthday party for a friend. The mother in law lived close by and this dictated the location. My friend, an American and very frequent visitor to Paris, scoped this hotel out for all of us.

I liked it. It is not very expensive by Paris standards and it met my expectations for cleanliness. It is comfortable and quiet. I have read the other reviews about the location and the proximity to sex shops, but this was not an issue at all for us. We had no problem with the shops, just ignore them and they ignore you (and I was there with my 14 year old son), and the location is amazing - Pigalle metro is steps from your room and you can go anywhere on it. Tons of bakeries, etc around as well so skip the breakfast (expensive) at the hotel and have your croissant and coffee around the corner.

You are also right in the heart of Montmarte which we loved - having dinner on the hill, visiting the Sacre Cour for dinners...

This is a find - it isn't perfect - rooms are a bit on the small side as well as the bathrooms and showers...but the staff and the comfortable beds all make up for this. Try it.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Traveller48570 ,

Thank you for your review. Your feedback is important to us so we can improve our service.
We hope we'll have the pleasure to welcome you again the next time you visit Paris.

Sincerely Yours

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Location: Excellent! 1 min walk from Pigalle station.
Staff: Helpful and friendly.
Room size: Small but enough.
Bathroom: Shower very small! The door of the shower cannot be closed completely!
Cleanliness: Towel - so so! Bed sheets & pillow - acceptable! Floor - bc it is carpet, a little bit smell! Overall - ok!
Wi-fi: Cannot go online in some corners of the room. Need to go near bathroom to get connected! But ok near elevator and lobby.
Bed: Too soft for me. It caused me a little bit back pain.
Air-con: Good.
Others: The 2nd night of my stay, I got 2 mosquito bites (1 on my face 1 on my neck!) when I slept and I got up to kill 2 mosquitos at midnight!
The same night, I didn't know what happened with the people next room, during midnight, they opened and closed their door loudly for more than 7 times. The first 3 times woke me up and I waited till they finished before I could go back to sleep...

Room Tip: There are 4 floors. It's better to get on the 4th floor especially you will stay on Fri and Sat...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Stella ,

Sincerely Yours

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Let's get the location thing out of the way first. The hotel is a 2 minute walk from Pigalle station, so a great location for getting around Paris if you're comfortable using the Metro. It's a 2 minute walk from the Moulin Rouge (which was the purpose of our stay), so you have to realise that there is a lot of sex shops and strip bars in the area. If you're not comfortable with this kind of thing (and let's just say they're not shy in what they display), don't stay in the area full stop. The strip club at the top of the street where the hotel is was still open on a Sunday morning at 10am, probably from the night before. As a consequence, the area can attract some individuals you probably wouldn't want to go for a beer with...I saw a local arguing with the door staff on the Sunday morning, clearly having been ejected for a few too many 1664's.

The hotel itself was excellent, we were upgraded free of charge and the room was lovely. The TV had no reception, but we weren't there to watch TV so was no big deal. It was clean, staff were friendly and if you're OK with the location, couldn't ask for anything more for the money.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andy C

Dear Andy,

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Loved our stay at Opera Frochot, the staff are really friendly which was great because we haven't travelled by ourselves before. I'm not sure why some people have said the location is bad, the location of the hotel is absolutely amazing, in fact it's given us the main reason to return again once we get some more money. Gare du Nord is only like a fifteen minute walk away, so you don't have to panic too much on your way home. The metro is up from the hotel like two minute walk if that, there's a supermarket round the corner too and lots of bakeries down the hill and around. The main attractions are only a few metro stops away, and if you're a big walker I reckon you could probably walk to most of them. We're very lazy and managed to walk to sacre couer (only at the top of the hill) and le cemetier (dont think I spelt that right but that's right by). If you're travelling as a family, you should probably know that the area has lots of sex shops around but that's because the moulin rouge is just down the road (another attraction close by!) but it isn't dodgy, by the sacre couer you will get hassled by the infamous string men but, we never had any trouble by the hotel anyways, we stayed wednesday to saturday and there wasn't even anyone outside the sex shops, we had more hassle in the actual city centre. So you'd probably be ok bringing kids there as long as you can handle them asking you "what's that shop for?".

We had a standard double room, the bed was really cosy, especially the pillows! They give you shower gel, body lotion, shampoo and bath bubbles, hand soap, lots of towels, a bath mat and there is instant hot water. TV had lots of channels, if you want english tv we managed to find BBC world news. Only possible faults I could have is the coffee machine in the room you have to pay 1,50 euros for but in their defense it is quite a posh machine, if you're gasping there's a maccies literally up the road, they didn't seem bothered when we brought food into the hotel so you might as well go there or there's a supermarket just round the corner. You get given two glasses and two mugs, so we got some sirop from the market and then we always had a drink when we got back to the hotel because we could use the glasses and the water from the tap. The curtains didn't completely cover the window though you get two layers so it won't really affect your sleep if you position it right and we had trouble shutting the window but the maid did it for us and like I said before the staff is really friendly so even if you have any problems with your room I'm sure they'd help you. I'm trying to compare my experience to other comments on here, yes the room is smaller than it looks on the photo I think that photo is from the deluxe rooms but it's paris everything is small and it's not so small that you can't move. The cupboard is pretty big, the bathroom isn't a bad size either, it has a bath tub and a shower. To be fair it's not that much smaller than your standard hotel room, I preferred it to staying at travelodges in england! The bed is huge in comparison to most french hotels, I've been to France before with my folks and they usually get two singles because the double beds are usually tiny but this hotel the double bed is actually a double bed so dont worry. I can't comment on breakfast because I thought it was a bit too expensive to go for, so we just went to the bakery which was just as good probably.

If you're doing what I did before I came which was look at hotels for hours and worry your head over it, just go for this one. I promise you that you'll be absolutely fine here. You get given maps on check in and they give you little candys on your pillow. The room was clean and you'll feel safe, Paris is not a cheap city to travel to, but this area is probably one of the best you can do. For a standard budget, in Paris, this is pretty excellent. If you want cheaper you'll probably lose the quality and if you want better than you'll be paying more, though I have to say that I've seen some of the posher hotels on here and they don't seem to have as good reviews as this.

On a side note, unrelated to the hotel; be really careful around tourist areas, we got these travel bags that are like bumbags from the pound shop back home, which you can wear really close to your body with your money and ID in. Don't wear a rucksack, you'll probably be fine if you do but you will have to constantly watch your back. If someone asks if they can put string around your finger keep walking, if someone says they found a gold ring and tries to get you to take it then keep walking and don't buy anything from the bag men that sell the eiffel towers on the street - not all of them I'm sure- but it's most likely they stole them. We saw some poor man get robbed by the sacre couer, and he fell down the stairs trying to chase him, (luckily the guy got caught by the police, basically instantly and the man was ok!) but be careful fellow travellers! :) Don't be put off by that by the way, Paris is a safe place you just have to have your wits on, which I'm sure you know anyway and don't worry if you can't speak the language, we're both dreadful at it but the majority of people know some english especially around the tourist areas so don't get scared if you get lost or feel put off going somewhere because of the language. We found pointing and smiling got us most places and the machines at the metro have an english option.

From two students on a romantic break from exams! :)

Room Tip: I think the hotel is non-smoking but if you're worried maybe just put it in the comments just in...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple