“Hazardous stairs”

Ranked #1,455 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
Stockholm, Sweden
“Hazardous stairs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

The location is really the only positive thing I can say about this hotel. Located right by Saint Michel in the Marais, it's unbeatable.

However, the winding staircase is so narrow and steep and children and elderly should not even consider staying here. There is no elevator so you will have to drag you suitcases five flights of really worn down stairs. The rooms are extremely tiny and quite worn down.
The fuses in my room were broken and I asked the reception to fix it - they did not. I had to find the fuse box myself and change the fuse!

Would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank monacosswe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Turkish first
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed here a couple of years ago in a very small room. This time we decided to upgrade to a suite. The room was lovely. It was large, well decorated and felt very French. Unfortunately it was on the first floor at the front so you can hear every voice in the cafe downstairs. The stairs are built for goats rather than humans! They are doing the inside up and decided to start early every morning - lovely wake up call! I only wish I knew more French so I could have made my feelings known. Finally you can't be disappointed by the distance to the metro, that is when the escalator closes down for the night! I can't fault the room but I think it's first floor location is silly when it's more expensive than the rooms on higher floors.

Room Tip: The higher rooms are smaller but much quieter if you can cope with tight narrow stairs
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andbain

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Setting everything else aside, the location is great: right at the entrance of the St Paul Metro, and in the heart of the Marais. My overall rating is heavily influenced by location. If location is your primary concern, this is a perfect choice. The hotel is best for independent travelers who don't need a fancy room to lounge in: it serves its purpose of providing a secure place to sleep, and a friendly, helpful staff. But there is no getting around the fact that this place old, cramped and quirky, even by funky-Paris-hotel standards. The staircase looks like it may have been built by beavers - certainly the artisan considered tools optional (as others have noted, if you have mobility concerns this is probably not a good choice). My single room was very small, but the decor had a charming, arts-and-crafts feel to it. Wi-fi worked well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank tombat
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Or you will end up here. I'm not even going to address the stairs, the pictures and descriptions are plenty accurate. We stayed on the very top floor, but knew what we were getting into and no one was worse for the wear. If you travel heavy or have mobility issues look elsewhere.
The good:
With the exception of one front desk guy (who if he was the only Parisian you met you would be forced to believe the French stereotype) the staff downstairs was friendly and helpful.
The location is great, excellent in fact.
The price is good for Paris.
The Bad:
Room was not as clean as it should have been
The decor and furnishings were very cheap.
Every single day the cleaning staff failed to replenish something in the room, soap, toilet paper, coffee. It's no small thing to hike those damn stairs to fetch something that should have been there in the first place.
The aforementioned rude guy (only worked overnight)
To let you know where I'm coming from, I'm an American, but I don't compare European hotels to American hotels nor to I intend to imply American hotels are better. I don't think French people are rude-- my experience has been quite the opposite. When I was researching my trip I found it frustrating to read bad reviews by Americans who use Best Western as the standard bearer for how a hotel should be.

Room Tip: You'll save money if you stay on the very top floor which only has two rooms. Be aware that ther...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank CastroCathy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed in a suite here for three nights. Phenomenal location, super pleasant staff and wonderfully decorated. The staff went out of their way to make sure our stay in Paris was just perfect. It was great value for our money. Truly enhanced our trip to Paris.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Raachell
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Traveled alone to Paris June 2013... visited an old friend living in the Marais district. Found Hotel Pointe Rivoli online and was very pleased with my stay there. The cute, funky nature of the hotel ... including the crazy staircase... made it a thoroughly fun visit! My 4th floor single room ( with great bathroom) was very comfortable and cleverly adorned! The best feature of Pointe Rivoli is its marvelous location! As a passionate walker, I was ecstatic to find everything I wanted to do perfectly in my pathway... Notre Dame 5 minutes.. Louvre 20 minutes... Left Bank, Place de la Bastille, Place Des Vosges, Pompidou Center, shopping and terrific cafes and markets everywhere at my feet!! I even walked along the Seine to the Eiffel Tower (about 7 miles but fabulous!!!). To top everything off, the staff at Pointe Rivoli were outstanding! And, yes, I would climb those crazy stairs again!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Joan D
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Great location, if a tiny bit difficult to find. We rented a 'suite' which was really a big room on the 1st floor. The suites are a bit more expensive, but I'd definitely recommend this option. The room was on the inside of the building, so no road or metro escalator noise and as far as I could tell this was the case for all of the suites. The suites also all seemed to be on lower floors up a staircase that was easy to climb. The room was clean and nicely decorated and was very spacious by the standards of central Paris budget hotels. The staff all spoke English and were very friendly and helpful. No problem recommending this hotel - I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for a suite - quiet and spacious.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family