“great hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
co down
“great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

just back from this great hotel, after new year in paris .the hotel is spotless the staff were more than helpful nothing was a bother to them, the rooms are small but they have every thing you need , i would say the breakfast is not worth 20euro, there is a great little shop across the road that has a bakery and their bread filled roll and coffee for 2 people is only 10 euro,also there is a supermarket beside the hotel that has brilliant wine very cheap, from gard du nord station theres a number 31 bus that takes you direct to hotel,or the metro line12 to jules joffin, take the main exit onto rue ordener walk 700 m then take a right rue damremont hotel on right,

Room Tip: try to get a room to the side or back of hotel , as hotel is near main road.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank annieoCoDown
HotelLumieres, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Lumieres Montmartre Paris, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Annie,
It's pleasure to read your very kind comment about our hotel.
Don't hesitate to contact us for a special welcome, next time.
Yours faithfully
HL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Location is ok, around 25-30 minutes from Gare du Nord and under 10 minutes walk from Jules Joffrin station on the metro line (M12) and within a 15 minute of the Butte de Montmartre, which has some great cafés for brunch (try le Pain Quotidien) and cafe/bars for drinks outside under heat lamps (avoid Cafe le Vrai but try le Zebre de Montmartre). A further short walk takes you up to Sacré-Cœur and an unbeatable view across the city, the glittering Eiffel Tower at sunset/dusk is something I won't forget in a hurry!

Back to the hotel. Our room (107) was an average size, although the shower room was small. The bedroom could do with a full length mirror. There is very little soundproofing so I could hear a couple in a neighbouring room talking loudly and arguing at various points, this really spoilt the night. I found the reception staff (2 men) quite brusque and not particularly hospitable, especially the guy who made me do a credit card/ID check and pay the taxe de sejour at 2am when we got back to the hotel after a night out; he didn't seem to feel it could wait until the following morning which was odd.

We paid £80 for the room which was good value. They have a free bagagerie so you can check out but leave your suitcase for a few hours if you aren't leaving until later. Free wifi in the rooms.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JBizzzay
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

1. LOCATION: you need to walk at least 10 min from the nearest subway Jules Joffrin. -- as far as I can see, safety of this area is not too bad though. This hotel is conveniently located in the north of Montmartre. Please do take 1-2 hrs time to walk up and visit the renowed Sacré-Cœur. You will be able to birdview entire Paris when you get there. The scene is absolutely breathtaking.

2. In side the hotel: the size room and corridor are not decent at all. In Paris, it's not rare to find this type of hotel which is coverted from a couple of hundreds years old residential building to a hotel. WIFI is available in all room speed is OK. As usual, not kettle or tea or mini bar in the Room. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE YOUR OWN hot water KETTLE if you like a cup of tea in the evening and morning.24 hrs receiption ---don't worry if you gonna get a late arrival to Paris. Cleaniness is very good,I especially the chic and modern renovation of bathroom.

3. PRICE: I booked it in a really good price comparing to other fellow hotels in the same area. Brekkie sometimes is not included if you booked earlybird special room rates--but there are a few good bakeries just on the other side of the road for you to grab some nice pastries.

4. This is why I took 2 star off in the rating : the old lady servant in the kitchen is RUDE and pretending she doesn't understand English. She 's very reluctant to let you use their electronic kettle even though you are permitted to do so by the front desk; soundproof between rooms are not good enough. You can her your 'neighbors' high pitches sometimes from your room.

Room Tip: MAKE SURE YOU TAKE YOUR OWN hot water KETTLE if you like a cup of tea in the evening and morning. so...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank QiongWU
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

My partner and I stayed here over a weekend Friday-Monday. For a short break this hotel is perfect, the rooms are small but as a base it was absolutely ideal. The bed was very comfy, room very clean and all staff very friendly. We weren't facing the road so no noise complaints from us. Free wifi is also very handy. Only things that would have made the room better is a long mirror as being a girl a small mirror above the sink isnt enough! Apart from that I really can't complain. We had breakfast on the Saturday and Monday-croissants, fruit, bread, yoghurts-it was 10euros on the Sunday each but we didn't think it was worth that, instead we went to the bakery on the way to Jules Joffrin. The location is ideal, we used Jules Joffrin and Guy Moquet stations-and brought the pack of ten tickets which we found cheaper than a day ticket as we did more walking around then using the metro. Compared to london where you have different prices for zones 1-6, being further out made no difference price wise. Things we did included walking through moulin rouge area to Sacre Coeur, the L'open bus tour, all the usual sight seeing. We found a few other quirky things such as the 'i love you' wall near Abessess station, Promenade Plante which is an old railway bridge over the city, and we went to a lovely park called Buttes Chaumont. We also went to Bastille market on Sunday which was lovely to walk around. I also dragged my partner to queue up outside Pierre Hermes and got some lovely macarons. Restaurant wise we ate a La Chope which is opposite Guy Moquet station, and then at a restaurant on the way to Sacre Coeur-I think it was called plait jour or something like that. We also ate at the Hard Rock Cafe which was a very expensive meal and we had to wait 1hour45mins but it was our choice they did warn us of the wait. Overall a fantastic trip and a lovely stay at the hotel, absolutely no faults and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank elw186338
HotelLumieres, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Lumieres Montmartre Paris, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear elw186338,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, the staff and the location!

It would be really helpful if you could get in touch and let me know when you stayed so I can really investigate which room has not a long mirror as we have fixed one in all rooms.

Thank you again for your comments, listening and acting on our guest’s feedback will ensure that we are continually improving our offer.

Kind Regards,
Laval, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed there as it was located next to a concert we were going to.
I knew it was going to be small by reading other review so it didn't bother us.
We had a room on the street and slept with the window open , it is Paris if you want quiet Dont book in the centre.
The hotel is very very clean, smells like bleach when you enter the room, not great but at least is very clean.
The staff is ok, not rude but not overly friendly either.
Well located, tube not far, buses nearby. Bakeries, restaurants and supermarket right next door so convenient.
My husband and I would agree though : a massive 10/10 on bed and pillows , absolutely amazing. We did sleep really well.
Overall I do recommend as you will book a small but very comfy room well located in Paris at a very good rate .

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank 489caz
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

I recently visited the Hotel Lumieres with a friend for a girls weekend in Paris. This hotel is located in Montmartre, which is a neighborhood I'm familiar with. It's walking distance to my favorite breakfast restaurant in the world, Le Consulat, as well as Sacre Coeur. The hotel staff is very friendly and always answers any questions you may have. The hotel is incredibly clean and well maintained. The breakfast is your standard continental breakfast, but on weekdays it's free, so that was a pleasant surprise!

The rooms are small, but what do you expect for Europe? If you want a bigger room, stay somewhere else (and pay $1000/night!). We were very comfortable in our room regardless of the size. We weren't there much, just to sleep and get ready for sightseeing during the day, and dinner/dancing at night. The decor is gorgeous! And although it was a little loud with the window open, it wasn't unbearable at all. We slept through it with no problems. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Natalie H
Many thanks for posting your review following your recent stay with us at Hôtel Lumières. I was delighted that you enjoyed all the smaller details we take pride in offering our guests. I have passed on your kind words to all of the staff .

My best regards and renewed thanks,
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here, having stayed in Montmarte previously, I felt confident finding my way around.
My hsuband and I went for our anniversary and used the hotel mainly to sleep. The room was very clean and and modern and although some might say small, it did the job just fine and reception was friendly too. Located in a very good area for getting arouond, as the Metro and bus stops are within walking distance with bith taking you straight to the Champs Elysees.
My only complaint is there is no air conditioning, but it was very hot outside, might be better in the winter, but not enough to deter us!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Funmi O
HotelLumieres, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Lumieres Montmartre Paris, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks a lot for your kind feedback of your stay in our hotel.

Awaiting the pleasure to welcome you soon again.
Yours faithfully