“Great hotel and friendly staff”

Belta Hotel Residence
Ranked #877 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
England
“Great hotel and friendly staff”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel was in a nice location (not far from the canal). The rooms were clean and while they were a little small they had everything that you might require for a few days in Paris. The bathroom was large enough for a "bath" (shorter than your average bath but deeper) which was a lovely surprise and so nice to soak in before a long day walking the streets of Paris.

The hotel had free Wi-Fi, this isn't normally a requirement for me but I needed reliable internet access for the time I was away. This was excellent, constant connection and speedy with no glitches.

We didn't try the breakfast (I prefer a café - when I get the chance).

Finally, the staff were friendly and helpful, also they spoke excellent English.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My experience in the three star Hotel Belta in the 10th arrondissement in Paris (near St Martin’s Canal) was typical for a European independent hotel. Reasonably clean, somewhat comfortable but spectacularly uninspiring.

The hotel is in the 10th arrondissement of Paris within walking distance of Gare de l'est (the East train station – one Metro stop from Gare du Nord). It is in a mixed use road with residences and bars, cafés and shops nearby. The road is neither especially noisy nor especially quiet – it’s about what you’d expect in the centre(ish) of a major city. However, I am glad we were on the sixth floor (of six). This cuts down the noise significantly, especially as there is no air-conditioning. Had we needed the windows open at night (we didn’t – it was May with a mixed bag of weather) we certainly would have noticed the hustle and bustle from the road and bars.

The entrance looks a bit dated and the reception area is fairly small, though clean (although you couldn’t say the same for the fish tank – it really could do with a good scrubbing). The front of house staff (the one man who seemed to be the sole receptionist – he may be the proprietor) was very friendly. He spoke reasonable English, though rarely, as my companion speaks fluent French (which he clearly appreciated). He was helpful and welcoming and check-in was quick and efficient. I wish, however, I could say the same for the lift…

As we were on the sixth floor, we needed the lift, especially with three days’ worth of luggage for two people. We called the lift. And waited. And waited. And waited a bit more. Eventually it came and lordy, was it dinky. According to the plaque within, it would fit four people, but it would be a rather tight and cosy squeeze. The lift is slow so patience is required. Fortunately, we had that.

The rooms open with a key card. The room was…pokey. Inside was a double bed – oh wait, I lie. It was actually two single beds duct taped together by the legs (I’m not making that up). There was a small desk (on which, much to my shock, sat an ashtray), an open hanging space with four or five hangars and a small flat screen TV above that. Next to the bottom of the bed is a full length mirror, and next to that the amazingly tiny bathroom with a sink, toilet and shower cubical. There were no tea or coffee making facilities – indeed, no extras, except free yet quirky wi-fi, of any sort (not even a Gideon’s Bible).

The television picked up CNN, a lot of French channels (quelle surprise) and a smattering of German channels. Never mind – we weren’t there to watch TV. The bathroom was, as noted small, and the facilities just about adequate. There were two of the tiny little soaps (what possible use to man or beast or those?!) and two minuscule sachets of shower gel. There was no shampoo or conditioner; fortunately, I’d brought my own. The towels were small, white and thin (except one on our last day – for some reason we seem to have acquired a larger, fluffier towel. Most welcome.). The shower was…interesting. It would more accurately be described as a large, high tap. The water just fell out; there was no spray nozzle. It did get me adequately wet but wasn’t terribly exhilarating. Fortunately, it was hot and didn’t seem to suffer from unexpected temperature changes.

Despite the Heath-Robinson nature of the bed(s), it was reasonably comfortable, though more than one flat, synthetic pillow each would have been a bonus. We were warm enough with a sheet, a blanket each (clearly they don’t possess double blankets) and continental duvet/bedspread doing the job (indeed, we didn’t use the duvet at all). As the weather was not especially stifling we slept with the windows closed, however they do open fully giving a nice view of the local area.

Some tariffs include breakfast; ours didn’t (not shocking given what we paid) so we did not try the continental buffet breakfast on offer in the basement. Reviews I’ve read on TripAdvisor weren’t very complimentary, so we avoided it and ate croissants elsewhere. However, had we chosen to eat there, it would have set us back, I believe, €9.00.

Check-out was quick and the receptionist/proprietor booked us a (what turned out to be a slightly scary) airport shuttle and was, as mentioned, really very pleasant and helpful. I didn’t see nor speak to any other members of staff at the hotel – besides cleaners I have no idea if there are any (there must be).

For what we paid, the hotel was … adequate. It gave us a roof over our heads, hot water and a bed (of sorts). However, were I paying full price I’d have been very disappointed indeed. Whilst I know Paris is an expensive city, I would guess that with a bit of careful shopping and pre-booking, one could find a homier, roomier and/or more comfortable hotel at a similar price. However, if you do find yourself there, as long as you know what to expect, you’ll have a reasonable stay.

Room Tip: Go for the upper floors especially in summer - no air-con so you'll want the window open. Traffi...
3 Thank Kate G
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This was a great little hotel overall. The rooms were nothing special, but were perfectly adequate for the 7 nights that my boyfriend and I stayed there. The location is excellent, as it is in a bit of a quieter arrondissement but with quick access to a couple of major metro stations (Gare de l'Est is a couple minutes walk away and République is about 10; both pick up to 3 or 4 different lines each). Even walking, it is only about a 20 minute walk to le Marais/Centre Pompidou to give a reference point.There are also a few really good restaurants and shops nearby and along the canal. The breakfast was a little lackluster, but adequate considering that it was included. Just one word of warning if you stay here: BEWARE THE TUB! It is a bit oddly-shaped (more like a rounded oval sloping down than a rectangle), which made it very easy to slip on. My boyfriend and I each slipped on it and fell at some point during our stay!

1 Thank Laura P
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband & I travelled to Paris for the first time middle of May but we didn't have a hard time exploring the city because of its convenient location. We appreciate the kindness and helpfulness of Belta staff - they were all truly awesome. The place is clean and well maintained, breakfast is excellent, Highly recommended!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I came to Paris because of a seminar, I was on my own and this was my first visit to Paris. At the Belta Hotel, I've received all the help I needed and a warm and pleasant place to return every evening. I was even looking forward to come back to the hotel, talk a bit with the hotel staff and rest in a very comfortable bed. My solo room had all I needed. Breakfast was continental, but very good. The location is great - but at night, if you are a girl and alone, you could feel a bit unsafe.

I would go back to this hotel again, for sure!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Milica2013
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Hotel provided all the facilities of a 3 star hotel and is surrounded by good restaurants all within a short walk. The day and night reception staff were particularly helpful with information on best way to visit sites in the Paris area and were very sympathetic, when we returned from Stade de France where Scotland had just been defeated by France. We will return again as its location is ideal for Garde de L'est and Garde de Nord.

We stayed five nights.

Room Tip: We had one twin and one double room on the fifth floor and we were satisfied with both. The rooms we...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2013

As stated in other reviews, this hotel is basic but we found it met all our requirements. Very easy access from Gar du Nord (easy 10 min walk) and 5 mins from metro link at Gare de l'Est. Rooms are small but probably average by Paris standards and clean. Friendly and helpful staff. Continental breakfast good enough: ham, cheese, breads, croissants, yogurts, coffee, fruit juice. Excellent value over all for the location in Paris and I would certainly stay again. No bar but L'Atmosphere just across the road more than makes up for this and is a gem.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends