“Absolutely stunning! A historic boutique hotel done right”
Review of La Maison Favart

La Maison Favart
Ranked #20 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My wife and I booked this hotel for our first wedding anniversary trip to Paris and it was the highlight of our trip! I chose La Maison Favart because it was, at the time, the #1 hotel in Paris (this was for the 2012 hotel rankings). I'll admit that we were initially hesitant to book this hotel, because it was the most expensive hotel we have stayed in so far (there are of course more expensive hotels in Paris). I'm glad that we did go with La Maison Favart and feel that it was worth every penny. We can now say that this hotel absolutely earned every bit of its acclaim. The location is quiet, which makes for a nice respite after exploring the busy streets of Paris all day. Plus, it's very close to the RoissyBus stop, which is one of the more affordable ways to reach the city center from Charles de Gaulle airport. All in all the location was excellent. We were able to walk to the Louvre, Notre Dame, the Orsay museum, and many great restaurants and shops. The 2nd Arrondisement also has some cool galleries (sort of like early mall prototypes), the Bourse, and of course the Opera Comique right across the street from La Maison Favart.

What I liked most about this hotel is that it maintained a perfect balance between historical charm and modern amenities. I found this impressive because we also stayed at a "historic" hotel in Avignon that seemed rundown and used the fact that the hotel was "historical" as an excuse for its dilapidated state. There was a Nespresso machine in our room and two in the breakfast room. The decor was modern and updated while still maintaining elements of the hotel's operatic past. When we arrived, we were quite sleepy and jet-lagged. We were greeted by the friendly staff, check-in was very quick (they even upgraded us from a classic room to a deluxe room), and our bags were escorted to our room. We were able to enjoy a much-needed nap upon first arriving and found the bed very comfortable.

We stayed in room 12 and noticed that every room seemed to have its own theme. Our room was "Les 4 parties du monde" ("The four parts of the world"). The room itself had many lovely offerings such as the iPhone/iPod clock radio, a refrigerator that actually kept foods cold, a wine key, a safe, a hair dryer, high quality lotions and toiletries, and the aforementioned Nespresso machine (including an assortment of Nespresso pods and teas). The room was a decent size for a Parisian hotel, though we didn't spend too much time in the room since this was our first trip to Paris. The bathroom was large enough to allow both my wife and I to perform our morning preparations at the same time. The shower/bath had options for an overhead shower, a shower wand, or a waterfall bath. The water pressure was excellent and we never ran out of hot water.

We booked the hotel directly through their website and used a TripAdvisor offer that included free breakfast. The breakfast was excellent. The only downside was that we tended to eat too much. There was a nice variety of baked goods (the croissants and pain au chocolat were excellent), cheeses, meats, juices, tarts, and hot foods such as eggs, bacon, and sausage.In fact, their croissants were as good as, if not better than, Regis Colin, which is supposed to be the best artisan boulangerie in Paris. I will have to honestly say though that if breakfast had not been included we would not have paid €24 a person for breakfast. But since it was included we thoroughly enjoyed it. There were usually leftover items from breakfast such as cheese cake or tarts that were available in the afternoon to all guests. The cheese cake was literally the best I've ever had.

The one thing you don't want to miss if you stay here is their relaxation pool, which is located in the basement (floor -1 in France). It has a very relaxing ambience and is a great way to end a hectic day of sightseeing. The sauna was great too.

To summarize, we absolutely loved everything about La Maison Favart. This four-star hotel completely blew away the supposedly five-star hotel we stayed at in Avignon. The decor, staff, amenities, and location were all top notch. This was our first trip to Paris and it was an unforgettable experience to enjoy a luxurious hotel in the center of the city.

2  Thank NicolasM807

Reviewed September 16, 2013

A wonderful little hotel in a fantastic location-easy walking distance to the Louvre and close to the metro. French themed decor, great breakfasts, lovely pool area. All the staff were so helpful-with excellent restaurant recommendations and bookings. Would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank Fiona R
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a delightful hotel. Rooms are variable in size - but are beautifully appointed. The staff are attentive and the breakfast excellent. It was a real oasis to come back to after work - and having explored Paris at the weekend when my wife joined me (she loved it). I highly recommend this hotel - which is well located - yet in a quiet location (not easy in Paris).

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I had booked this boutique hotel based on trip advisor reviews and was not disappointed. The location is on a quiet street right across from the Opera Comique and close to the metro and many restaurants. I had booked a larger room through Expedia but was upgraded to one of the suites on the six floor - a duplex. The room was spacious and comfortable. The bellman are all very nice with wonderful recommendations for restaurants within walking distance and could not do enough to make our stay pleasurable. The breakfast room is on the main floor and bright and cheery. The breakfast is nothing special but more than met our needs.

Thank you to the staff who made this a truly memorable visit.

Room Tip: Sixth floor suites are lovely
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2013

When I first went to this Hotel in August of 2012 the hotel was newly refurbished and trying very hard to please its guest. At that time there was at one point a lack of hot water and the staff went out of their was to repay its guest's patience. One year later the hotel was showing some wear around the edges and the pleasant staff of the year before were mostly replaced by a surly crew, especially the woman working at the desk in the evening who couldn't have been more condescending when I asked , upon seeing my room, for one that didnt face an air shaft and suggested i really shouldnt get anything better for the room I "reserved" and then reluctantly found another room for me when I pressed. Even in France I have encountered more hospitable and gracious hotel employees.

Room Tip: Avoid the room that don't face the place facing the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Glyncas
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is the third time that I stay at La Maison Favart and it will always be my place of choice for Paris. This small jewel is located in a quiet street within a buzzing area so it makes it the perfect hideaway after a busy day in town...

Although some of the rooms can be small, other a perfect and I am slightly reluctant to stay which ones to ensure I always get them ;-) this hotel can get quite busy due to its popularity and the perfect stay you can always be assured of.

A particular thank you to the gentleman at breakfast would is always very helpful and welcoming.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are the best
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Having previously experienced some of the more commercial Paris hotels, my wife and I were seeking a quieter, more relaxed experience for a short break. La Maison Favart proved a good choice. Although only minutes on foot from excellent restaurants, busy boulevards and the metro, the location on the quiet square overlooking the Opera Comique was an oasis of calm to return to of an evening. With tastefully refurbished rooms, quietly attentive staff and a helpful concierge, we felt welcome and well cared for. And, in temperatures reaching 32 Celsius, the aircon proved faultless! We have every intention of returning.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple