W Paris - Opera
$265
Cancelon
  • Fitness center
1,054 results
All reviewsopera houseapple storewow suitespectacular roombliss productsmarvelous suiteopera viewspg platinumstarwood hotelspalais garniercozy roomhotels around the worldtrendy hotelgallery lafayetteconcierge teamrestaurant staffopera area
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Not as "clubby" as other W Hotels we've stayed at (which is a good thing). Rooms were clean and modern. We didn't have a view, but that didin't really matter since we were out and about all day. Staff was very helpful with booking anything we asked, as well as directions and answering any questions. Location was great as it is pretty much walkable to most sites.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Every single staff members was extremely helpful and welcoming the two days we were there. Cecile helped my wife and I with a couple of requests even before arriving which was extremely helpful.
We also got in early at about 11am and were given an enhanced room (as a SPG gold member) which was slightly longer than the usual wonderful room located on the second floor. View was facing a building but there were three sets of double windows so a good amount of light.
If you are on the second floor you can actually use the free wifi for the lobby which is a useful trick if you want to save on wifi fees.
Restaurant was a bit overpriced for the small dishes that you got. Service was a little slow and the food was just "ok".
The hotel was very well located to the Eurostar terminal & Gallerie LaFayette. It is a bit tricky to find and some cab drivers did not know it existed (but its right next to the Apple store and the Opera house/Opera metro).
I found the helpfulness of the staff a pleasant surprise. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We didnt get an opera facing room but if you happen to be on a lower floor you can use the free lobby wifi.
1  Thank Tsenlike
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Please review all this information and consider whether it is all fake or not:

In the confirmation:
Room Description
• Marvelous Suite Non-smoking, Smoke-free
• 32 Sq.m/344 Sq.ft • Ipod Dock
• W Signature Bed • Living Area
• Opera House View
In reality: The room is opposite a haunted building with some office and shops on ground floor only put our face against the glass window and look then we can see Opera House View.

Check in after 3 pm the room was not ready. The receptionist who checked us in advised two options: 1) Go to the bar and have some drinks to relax or 2) Get another room to relax first and move the room after the assigned room is ready. --> We chose option 1 because of thirsty and tired from travelling. The refreshment is fully charged to the room bill. This is the first time of welcome in this style in my experience. Most of good service and responsible hotels normally take care customers with some basic drinks if the arrival is after committed standard check-in time and the room is not ready.

Words are always sweet and technical "W" words but We never have the results:
1) The wrong room assignment was reported to the staff who checked in. I was informed that the team will find a new room for us but that never happened during the 4 days 3 nights stay.

2) Some Complimentary Water supposed to be provided in the room every day as a benefits of Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum members. No water provided on the 3rd days (the day before the check out date). We requested through front desk staff and housekeeping - nothing happened.

3) Please refer to the photo I shared. The thick glass top table just broke down on my leg. It made me get some hurt and green knee. I informed the hotels two staff came three times and asked whether I'm fine. I informed that it a hurt. They offer whether I need doctor. I said I don't need (only thought that doctor could not do anything for this kind of pain which is not too much. The balm that I had could also help). If I had known what would happened next to me, I should have requested to meet doctor. Both staff asked total 3 times what I want for compensation and they advised that I would meet their manager on duty. The second staff came to meet and sweet talked and tried to get to know information what occupation I am. The manager on duty came to meet and asked what I want for compensation. I told him that I do not plan or consider about this. I don't think this is market place to bargain for anything. What he considered it is proper for this, it would be graceful.

At the end being civilized, being shocked (from the incident) and being calm results in nothing happened from the hotel until I checked out. The check-out staff even expected me to say "Yes" when he asked, "Did You have a good stay with us?"

I started to consider this is not fair to me then sent e-mail back to the hotel with copy to the general manager and the Starwood Platinum Member Customers Service. No reply from the general manager, automated reply from Starwood plus a standard e-mail reply from one of the staff of Starwood, and and apologize e-mail from the duty manager who met me after the accident:
Not to make any amends but to truly apologize, I have posted 20 000 Starpoints to your Platinum SPG accounts. This amounts should show up within the next couples of working days on your account. --> at the end they posted only half of the starpoints to my account.

No more action nor reply from the Starwood chain after this inquiry except an automatic reply to acknowledge that they received the e-mail.

I consider this is all fake.
It is not good hotel service.
It is not hospitality.
It is not business (both the hotel and the Starwood chain)

PS Other furniture is awful and I showed to one of the staff who met me in the incident scene in my room. Coffee table in the living area is shaking all the time you touch it plus the glass top was teared off so ugly. The working desk that the glass top dropped on my legs has got some obvious repair. We saw some silicone glue which looked very different from normal glue used to fix glass with stainless steel leg.

Room Tip: Don't be excited with the strange design. You will need real comfort and hospitality in a hotel stay.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank UncensoredLips
olivier s, Directeur général at W Paris - Opera, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear "unsensored lips",

Thank you for keeping in touch with me through Cecile.
I do apologize for the delay in my response. Trust me that we are taking your case very seriously and also I have been briefed on this case.

I do understand that the morning during check out one of the Welcome desk agents asked you a wrong question. He was however well aware of your issue. I do apologize for the fact that he has used wrong wording during check out to respond to your needs.

I have also started the investigation of your water issue. This is definitely not the Standard that we would like to reflect and have forwarded your complaint to our Style Director.

The incident in your room I would like to profoundly again apology for the trouble and pain that you had to go through. I do understand that this fact has put into the jeopardy the trust that you have in us as being part of the highest tier of our SPG membership.

I have opened a case with our Engineering and owner company concerning these tables which, seen in your case, can be very dangerous. As we stated in our discussion yesterday night, the first topic on my list is to prevent this from happening again. I ordered as well an immediate refix of any tables and also blocking of suites where I am not sure that we can guarantee a 100% fixing rate.

Dear Unsensored lips, I stay at your full disposal if you have any further questions concerning this case.

Cordially
Olivier

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the thrid time in a year. The location near the department stores and the opera metro station is ideal. The metro is a central hub for many lines and this makes it an ideal base for trips thoughout the city. The rooms are not large, which is typical in Paris, but it was well designed for use of the space. The bed was comfortable and the atmosphere was quiet. I got a good nights sleep with no disturbances. The staff is exceptionally helpful and researched and assisted with almost any question. I did not use the restaurant but had a drink at the bar each evening. The drinks were somewhat expensive, but the bar staff was always friendly and attentive and there is a nice atmosphere. There were two evenings out of the 7 that I stayed at the hotel where the bar hosted a band or a special event. It is packed during these evenings with the local 20 & 30 something crowd, but if you can get a seat on the side it is not as bad as standing up in the crowd. I plan to stay here again during my next visit to Paris.

Room Tip: Ask for the Opera view room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Excellent hotel with amazingly high level of service, modern facilities and a fabulous room with tall ceilings.

Enjoyed the bar in the evenings.

Location is perfect for exploring, everything is within a walking distance or a quick hop on a Velib.

This stay has now convinced us to try out other W hotels on our next trip

We will be back