“Great service, but strange decor”
Review of W Paris - Opera

W Paris - Opera
Ranked #415 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I have been travelling to Paris rather frequently on business over the last couple of years. I was really looking forward to the opening of this hotel. Honestly I ended up being somewhat disappointed as it did not live up to my expectations. One the positive side the hotel has a great location right next to the Opera and the service is excellent.

In my opinion here the real failing is the room design which is eclectic and not particularly practical. I stayed in a room of a nice size, but the furnishings and unusual colour combinations did not contribute to a restful environment (nor did I ever figure out the meaning of the large wallpaper cartoon characters). Now one could argue that my criticism of the decor was simply a matter of preference; however, there are other parts of the design that are just impractical. The bathroom has no walls! You step out of the shower directly into the room, so it was naturally freezing. The sink basically was in the centre of the room, with hardly any space nearby to set out toiletries because of their so-called mini bar. Instead of having a cabinet for snacks, etc. these items were arrayed on a large tray that was invariably in the way and placed right next to the sink. So much clutter! Just a really impractical room design.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Cefyn

Reviewed December 16, 2012

First trip to Paris for my birthday. Originally stayed at Westin Vendome for 2 nights but the room was tiny, noisy and the ac didn't work (though breakfast was really good) so moved to the W and stayed there for the rest of the trip.

The location is perfect for shopping and sight seeing, very close to 2 big malls (Lafayette and Printemps) and close to the subway (Opera station). The room is new and beautifully decorated like W style and you get the view of the Opera (my pictures didn't do it justice). Breakfast was really good. The staffs are the best! I got upgrade to a suite which was HUGE and so so so beautiful! The staffs also bought me Pierre Herme macarons when they found out it's my birthday, what a cool surprise! Everyone at the W was so attentive, friendly and willing to help on anything. The whatever/ whenever staff gave awesome recommendations on restaurants as well. They made my trip the best trip ever and I will definitely stay there again when I visit Paris! Love love the W Paris!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
olivier s, Directeur général at W Paris - Opera, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Babybambi,

So happy that you decided to share your experience with us. There is no better satisfaction reading that you have been positively surprised all along your journey in Paris.
I hope you had a safe trip back home and that you will share with your friends your happy memories from your new friends in Paris.

I will immediately share this with the team which is their best reward for what was done.

I warmly thank you again.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed at W for 3 nights for my birthday this year (december 7th to december 10th) and what a great experience it was.

We stayed in a cozy room and yes, its name is rightfully deserved as it was cozy, but for 3 nights this was perfect! King sized bed, lovely hot shower, great TV... the room was lovely.

Every night we asked the concierge to recommend us restaurants and we feel we owe our fab dining experiences to their 'insider' knowledge...one night we ate in chez flottes which was fab and worth the money. We then ate in hotel costes which again was expensive but sooo worth the money...it was a real experience!!!

Everyone at W went out of their way to ensure our stay was perfect. The concierge, ordering us taxis and then letting us know that the taxi had arrived whilst we were in the bar, to the room maid checking if we would like more water, to the bartenders who were amazing and created some gorgeous cocktails for us that weren't on the list.

What impressed me most was how we were treated given that there was a celebrity staying there too; Chris Brown, the hotel was manic on saturday night with him and what looked like 100s of his fans outside (plus 2 white lambourghinis) but they still ensured we were treated amazingly well calling 5 restaurants to get us a reservation and ensuring we got a taxi.

All in all we loved our stay at W and will most definately be returning; I wouldnt even think about looking for a different hotel.

Room Tip: use secret rooms to get the best rate
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Colabottle,

Thank you for spreading the word about you latest stay at the W Paris Opera. We are thrilled to accommodate celibrities but we do not forget that you, as a loyal guest to Starwood, are the most important element that bring our Brands to live. Without your feed back we cannot fine tune, nor stick to your requirements.

Please continue to patronize our Brand and please be sure that since a few weeks ago, you have new friends in Paris.

Have some great Season's holidays and a happy new year 2013

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed at the Wow Suite of the amazing W Hotel and was the perfect location and perfect sized rooms. The rooms have the perfect view of the Majestic Opera.
But not the full W. Doest have the awesome signature W spa!!!
The room is a little extravagantly priced but its worth the experience.

Room Tip: Take the suites. Theyre really good.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Rohit_patni,

I am glad that you have spread the word further your latest experience at the W Paris Opera.
You obviously came while the hotel was busy and we take a great care to carafully pay attention to everyone.
Though the hotel does not host a W Spa due to our size (which is too small for it), it however allow us to precisely take a particular attention to each and every guest at a higher level.

I am happy that you already plan to come back at the W Paris Opera when you will be back.

Wishing you and your family all the very best for the holiday season and for a happy and healthy 2013

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed in the "wonderful room" for 2 nights for leisure. The room is slightly small but well designed for use of the space. The bed was comfortable, clean & tidy. Staff were helpful , attentive & friendly. It's a trendy & modern hotel, for people who prefer traditional deco might not like it. The location is great as it's near the opera house & is walking distance to the metro & department stores. You can also find lots of restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChloeSnowball

Dear ChloeSnowball,

I am glad that you liked your latest experience at the W Paris Opera. Should you need any further assistance while you are planning another trip in Paris or anywhere else in one of our Starwood properties; just ask.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

W hotels have always been my favorite. The one in Paris has its ‘WOWs!!’ and ‘hmmmm’

The ‘WOWs’
Cleanliness, great night sleep, not to mention excellent service. Front desk staff, concierge and bell boy did their job well.
One WOW that I had was there is this multiple phone charger right beside the bed that cater for any kind of phone that you can find. (So far only discovered in W Paris).
Laundry service is on time and did a great job.

The ‘Hmmm…’
The multiple phone charger in my room isn’t working.
The international adapter isn’t working
Didn’t replenish the body lotion, nor drinking water regularly
There is an ipod dock for your music and iphone charging…. It’s not working.
Small gym.

I'd still choose this hotel IF i get a good rate and upgrade.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
olivier s, Directeur général at W Paris - Opera, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear Ernie W,

I thank you very much for the very informative feed back that you provided. We have noted the WOWs and the "hmmmm" as you metionned. Please be certain that I have addressed them to make sure this does not occur again in the future.

We will be happy to see you again in our property as soon as your plans allow you to be back in Paris.

Make yourself at home

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here for 8 nights in November during Thanksgiving. We had a fabulous suite which was smaller than expected but had some nice features. The bathroom sink had no space for makeup, etc. so I was very happy to find a separate area with a vanity where I could put all my makeup. The closet was a nice size with drawers and a safe. The bed was very comfortable although the pillows were not as firm as I prefer. The bathroom was huge with a wonderful shower. Service was very friendly and helpful. On the negative side, it is very modern and I prefer more traditional than modern when we travel in Europe so I did not really like the decor. The loud techno music was very annoying. The location is right near the Opera House and in walking distance of shopping. If we return to Paris, I would not stay here because of the music and modern look and feel.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor. We had a problem one evening and could hear the loud music.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple