“Amazing Weekend In Paris”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of W Paris - Opera

W Paris - Opera
Ranked #344 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
New York City, New York
“Amazing Weekend In Paris”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

I had heard great things about the W Paris from some friends in NYC and my experience exceeded expectations... Not an easy thing to do :). Marko, a concierge at the W, helped me choose the perfect spot for Sat dinner - I'm a bit of an amateur foodie, so we emailed back and forth several times. He also set up my airport transfers and answered all of my other questions. He was charming. When I arrived, the entire staff was warm, professional, accommodating and quite hip as well. I decided to upgrade my room and they found one with an amazing view of the opera. The room itself was great - modern, super clean, VERY comfortable beds, great products, etc. They had chargers for every electronic item imaginable, an ipod dock and great lighting. My flat iron wasn't working, so I called housekeeping and they sent one for me in minutes. We had breakfast in the restaurant which was quite good and while I didn't spend time at the bar, it looked terrific as well. One more thing... I needed to get in touch with Air France the night before I flew home and couldn't manage to reach them with my phone, after trying several numbers. I called downstairs for assistance. They called for me and then connected the call to my room. I've been to Paris many times and will certainly return. I would definitely stay at the W again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank NYCExplorer67
olivier s, Directeur général at W Paris - Opera, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear NY explorer67,

What a great review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at the W Paris Opera. Nothing could make the team more happy. You know, we proud ourselves to really anticipate what our guests are looking for when arriving in PAris. Through our W Insider, Cécile, you get the best information about the latest trends and places to discover in the City of Lights.
Our Concierge agents, as Marko did, are genuinely getting the places where you, as an individual, will enjoy most!
This is all what W is about! Next time you plan to travel in PAris, please take the chance to drop us a note and ... we will do the rest :)

Olivier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

We arrived in Paris last Thursday for a much needed weekend break shopping, eating and exploring, and, thanks to a friend, were introduced to Cecile, the 'Insider' at the W Hotel in Paris.

We've been to Paris several times, but wanted to explore new places and also visit at a couple of members-only nightclubs...

Cecile must be one of the best-connected girls in Paris, as both the restaurant and the club she recommended were simply incredible.

To have someone like Cecile help organise your weekend is such a refreshing change to what can be quite a stressful experience - particularly when time is precious and one bad meal can easily ruin an evening.

Thanks to Cecile and the W we had one of the most memorable nights of the year and can't wait to come back.

Thank you once again!

ps. the cocktails, canapes and DJ's in the bar are also excellent!

2 Thank Ben B
Dear Ben B,

I am glad that you met with our W Insider, Cecile who happens to be ... YES... one of the most connected girls in Paris.
Discovering new/next places is all what W is about. We proud ourselves to truly make your experience unexpected moments.
I will circulate your nice comments to the team who certainly will take it as a gift.

Thank you so much!
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Me and my daughter (age 6) stayed in W Paris for 3 nights but the experience was extremely terrible!!!
It ruined our whole trip in Paris. My daughter started having rashes in the mid-night of our first night. Her body is all red & itchiness the next day. Things were getting very serious at night, she were sent to hospital by ambulance when we were having dinner. She can't breath well and I was terrified!!!

Finally, we were in hospital, doctor said she got serious allergy problem and advise us to check what does she allergic to when we back to town. I brought her to doctor and we did a very comprehensive allergy test. Test says she is allergic to dust mites and given she had the allergy reaction that fast, the hotel is having a very seriously dust mites problem.
But the most terrible thing is W hotel deny everything and ignore my complaint completely!!!
Please stay away this hotel and I am very disappointed with star wood. What a shame!!!!

I have no clue what happened to her as this is the first time things happened like this.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank TravellerV1234
olivier s, Directeur général at W Paris - Opera, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Traveller1234,

We are very sorry to have learned about the allergic reaction that affected your daughter during your visit to Paris, and sincerely hope she is recovering after such a difficult situation.

The W Paris - Opera does hold to the highest standards of cleanliness and did have the room professionally inspected based on the concerns you brought to us at the time. It is regrettable that you remain dissatisfied with the results of this investigation, and we recognize your frustration given the circumstances and challenges presented during your stay.

We would be happy to continue further discussion with you to resolve your concerns based on previous communications you have had with us.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

For some reason the review of this hotel that I have posted multiple times, entitled "Catwoman's Lair", keeps getting deleted. One would think that the W was calling up Tripadvisor to complain about it or something. In any event, I will attempt to capture the essence of my experience less graphically in this toned down review as I believe it is truly important for potential guests to understand where they're contemplating staying. Simply put, the W Paris Opera is a victim of "Big Hotel Business". The decor, while apparently brand new, reeks of millennial cheese and was probably designed - and then shelved - by Jay-Z in 2002, only to be resurrected by a cookie cutter interior design firm (which promised decreased fees as a result of recycling the concept) for the hotel's recent opening. Either that or the Starwood team was thinking ahead to the (at the time) forthcoming Batman flick and hired catwoman to work her magic. But enough about the decor. I was there during a rare Parisian heat wave and the air conditioning did not work (perhaps too pricey to turn it on?). It is difficult to figure out how to get the TV to stop playing advertisements for other Starwood hotels at top volume. And most appallingly, I had called ahead - and paid a supplemental room fee - to ensure that the room I had reserved would sleep 3 people. When I arrived the hotel notified me that unfortunately there must have been a mistake - none of their rooms sleep 3 people so we would need to take another room at (surprise!) the only room category they had left, the "wow suite" at a multiple of about 5 times what we had paid for the first room. When I inquired as to whether there were any other hotels in the area that might charge less than €1500/night they said they could only help me find another room if I planned to book it at another Starwood hotel. To the credit of the hotel staff, they appeared to feel bad about the "mix up" - but they also appeared to honestly believe that it is Starwood's policy to not let guests re-book unless at another Starwood hotel. To cap off the experience I later discovered that the W Paris Opera's "guest amenities booklet", a copy of which is placed in each guestroom, states clearly that the hotel will provide a sleeping cot in its "two person" rooms upon request - a written policy which seems to contradict its "try to upsell the guests into higher room categories" policy at the check in desk. Le sigh...I hope this hotel is doomed to be the destination of choice for 23-year-old management consultants looking to blow Starwood points en masse - certainly it should not be the destination of choice for anyone who is actually looking for a bit of good old-fashioned value, courtesy and customer service from a proper Parisian hotel. Post-script: suspiciously, the official corporate website for the W Paris Opera contains nothing but glowing reviews of the hotel (with titles such as "incredibly wow" and "wow birthday").

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank C D
olivier s, Directeur général at W Paris - Opera, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Hello CD,

Thank you for giving us feedback about your stay with us. We are devastated to hear that you did not enjoy it to the fullest and it was to our sincere disappointment that we could not offer you our WhateverWhenever service.

I would like to revisit some issues you had during your visit with us in order to help everyone to better understand what matters really.

Our design narrative in this hotel is based on the so called “Spark”, the vibrant energy coming from the city of New York into the heart of the hotel. These artifacts can be seen by glooming lights and melting furniture. I’m sorry to hear that this was not up to your taste.

We have very strict policy on guest capacity in our rooms due to the French law. All our rooms are catered for only two people however we can add a cot (baby cot) starting from our Spectacular rooms. Extra beds, like you requested are only available in our suites. We have tried to minimize any disappointment during the check in process in allowing only reservations to be made for two people if made with our Reservation department or on any website. I’m sorry to hear that you were not informed correctly.

Dear CD I hope to have a second chance with you again to show you what our W Spirit in Paris is all about.

Have a great day
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from our european holiday and as we considered trip advisor comments when selecting our hotels I thout I would in turn comment on the amazing places we stayed.

Our first stop was Paris and we decided to stay at the beautiful W. I have been a fan of the W brand from afar as I love the quirky styling they incorporate into their hotels. I work in the hotel industry and love when a brand does something different. We were not disappointed at all when arriving at W! After a 22 hour flight we found the W so easy to get to from the airport. Just catch the Rossi bus and it drops you pretty much directly at the hotel!

We had an early arrival flight and understandably our room wasn't yet ready but the staff at the front desk were so lovely. The concierge was such a delight and made us feel very comfortable. We don't speak French other then a few short sayings so it was so lovely that the staff spoke English. Once we got into our 'wonderful' room I was blown away. Yes the rooms are small but not boxy or cramped. They are superbly designed and styled so they feel very spacious. The bathroom was gorgeous and our view was beautiful. I loved the modern spin on traditional French chic.

They also surprised us by giving us a bottle of veurve as we were celebrating a special occasion. Very classy!

We didnt eat at the restaurant however did have a few vins at the outdoor bar late into the night in which the staff were fantastic. There was an Australian waiter who looked after us so well.

All the staff were absolutely lovely! The only small criticism was perhaps the housekeeping as they didn't replenish the bathroom amenities often enough however to be fair we didn't complain or ask for more and I know if we had they would have been delivered straight away.

I would highly recommend staying at the w the location is amazing there are many coffee shops, restaurants and shopping nearby, the lourve is within walking distance and there is fantasic public transport at the door step.

Thank you W for the amazing 3 days and we will back soon!

Merci!

1 Thank 2foxzee
olivier s, Directeur général at W Paris - Opera, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear 2foxzee,

How refreshing it is to read such a nice feed back from your experience at the W Paris Opera. Thank you, on behalf of the entire team: this is the best reward.

Should you need anything from us prior your next trip in Paris, please do not hesitate to ask and our Whatever Whenever team will prepare it for you.

Have a wonderful day.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

I was skeptical about staying the Opera but this hotel was so discreet and surprisingly quiet that it was a pleasant surprise. To start the staff was young, attractive and very authentically friendly. They offered us a drink and snack upon check in and brought us to our room, and explained it thoroughly. The standard rooms are smaller but very functional and the toilet opens into the room and my husband didn't fit when the door was closed so there wasn't much bathroom privacy.

They change the rugs to say good morning, good afternoon and good evening and the entrance rug says the weather which is a nice touch. The bar/restaurant is great. I didn't have the breakfast as it was 45 euros.... crazy!!!

One of the bell boys... Alex was so sweet and very helpful. He would run to catch a taxi and ride it back to the hotel for you. He also had great restaurant suggestions.

One pet peeve... paying for WIFI.... I would just go to the Starbucks at the end of the street. It's 2012 and when you pay $400 a night for a hip hotel... WIFI SHOULD BE INCLUDED!!!!!

1 Thank K C
Dear K C,

Thank you for sharing your impression with us further you latest stay at the W Paris Opera. I am thrilled to notice that you particularly like the way our talents behaved and assisted you while you were with us.
We also have noted your comments re the paying WIFI connection and we do understand your perception and concerns. Please allow us to highlight the fact by being part of a group of 1200+ hotels (9 brands) around the world, our IT infrastructure has to be highly protected from any fraudulous intrusion. Somehow this level of security and services has a cost too.

We also have noted that you mentioned the high breakfast cost. Please revert to us to confirm whether or not you were proposed the following alternatives: Two different selection of Buffet and A la Carte menu. If not, please receive my personal apologies and I will immediately make sure that the restaurant is aware.

Meanwhile, should you need anything else from us, please reach us any time.

Surabaya, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Early check-in granted! Great stay while in Paris, the wonderful room is cozy and chic, so W! Location is just a walk away from Galeries Lafayette and Opera house, but if want to shop in Rue St. Honore and Avenue Montaigne, this hotel is not the one. Also interior design wise is so modern, definitely not recommended for family stay.. Open bathroom and black wall + carpet. This hotel is perfect for couples!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
olivier s, Directeur général at W Paris - Opera, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear AplusW,

Thank you for your nice feed back. We are happy that you like the hotel interior design for you latest short escape in Paris.
Though the Rue Saint Honoré is 15 minutes walking distance from the hotel ; we will have a proposal for your next stay with us which enable you to go there in a funny way: parisian cyclo bulle (Urban Cab - Cyclobulle - TripUp). You can enjoy the use of this cycled cart, which is very practical to cover a short distance in a sustainable way.

Please do not hesitate te revert to us prior your next stay for more details.