“Difficult to outdo”

Ranked #393 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
San Diego, California
“Difficult to outdo”
Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

Yes, the location is probably enough to convince most people, but the proof of the pudding comes with the service, specially when there are challenges. Mr. De Jonge, one of the managers, could not have been more helpful to us, and the whole staff was always there when needed, without being obsequious. Excellent three day stay that made our weekend memorable. Bravi.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
olivier s, Directeur général at W Paris - Opera, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Carlos,

Thank you for having decided to share your experience with the World! You made our day: You just pointed out what makes and should make always the difference at the W. Whatever Whenever.
We want our Talents be fully involved in a genuine service delivery, truly! Apparently you received what you were expecting.
Please do not hesitate to revert to us in the near future so we can organize another amazing moment: you now have new friends in Paris.

Have a wonderful day
Olivier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Malibu, California
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I just stayed at the W Opera for two nights with my wife — the entire experience fell flat. I can't believe we blew 60K points for two nights on a hotel that should be a Sheraton. I used to work for Starwood and I know their properties very well, and all I can say is what happened? The decor looks dated despite being new, the entrance couldn't be less grand; it's two cramped little kiosks — don't believe the pictures there is reason they only show detail shots. Despite being Gold SPG members, our "upgraded" room was not wonderful nor spectacular. And we had to wait over 30 minutes after 3PM for them to finish cleaning it (after getting off an 11hr flight from LAX). The linens were cheap and felt synthetic, the bathroom soap tray was bent in the shower and was falling apart. The room was so small we couldn't even move around it with the suitcases lying about. The airconditioning didn't work, so we sweated it out at 24.5 degrees celsius all night.

The service was OK, but not befitting of a $1000/night hotel. Not even close. I have had better experiences pay $200/night for Sheratons in NYC.

We didn't eat there and frankly we didn't say anything to management because more than anything it's not their fault that the property is not worth the money. What are they going to do, renovate the hotel for us?

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
6 Thank Brien G
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

Simply put, this is a great hotel. Bed was great, shower was amazing. The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful. One minor suggestion - wireless should be free (it's 2012)

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dear Jerzguy2,

Thank you for having chosen the W Paris Opera for your recent stay in Paris. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience and I will immediately share with the team who certainly will appreciate your nice words.
We also have noted your comments related to the Internet and I would like to recall that we are attentive to such concerns. As a matter of fact the Internet access is free in the public areas as long as you have a room at the hotel.

Should you have any travel plan in the near future in Paris, please do not hesitate to inform us in advance so that we can surprise you.

Have a wonderful day
Arizona
Reviewed May 23, 2012

First of all I love Paris, I have been in love with Paris since I lived there for a year almost 20 years ago, its my favorite city in the world, and my favorite neighborhood in Paris is the Opera, so when my husband and I planned our recent trip to Paris and learned that a W hotel was going to be opened next to the Opera we had no choice, we booked our week long stay.
Arrived around 6 pm and was amazed by the location as the taxi approached the hotel, right across the street from the Opera Garnier, next to the Apple Store (they occupy the same building), one block away from Galeries Lafayette, two Metro Stops a block away (Opera and Chausee D´Antin), RER (direct from Auber to Charles de Gaulle Etoile) also a couple of blocks away. Excellent in every way.
We had the cozy room, the most basic one, and was enough for us, very modern taste, nice bathroom, nice closet space and good size TV for the room.
We had to call for toiletries once we were out of soap and body lotion but they delivered them very fast.
One day we left the hotel at 8 am and returned by 12 pm and our room wasnt clean. We stayed in the room for a while when housekeeping knocked and wanted to do our room, we kindly asked to return in a half an hour and the maid didnt want to wait because she had finished her shift, we didnt liked this but left the room anyway so she could clean it.
Another problem we encountered was that on the next to last day of our stay we could only watch the TV in black and white, no colors. We complaint at check out but only a sorry was available.
Highly recommend the property, we didnt use any of the hotel facilities but we´ll definetely be back, I´m still in love with Paris and this hotel was perfect!

1 Thank stlm
Veracruz, Mexico
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Great stay at the NEW W Paris. The hotel's location is Excellent, I would like to say from walking distance from everywhere in Paris, I mean, at the end, this is a city that you can walk and walk and never get tired of walking... probably if you walked too far, take the metro or the bus back... since the hotel is next to the Opera, it is very easy to get to. I also found the breakfast very expensive, it is good but now 45 euros as they charged. Watch out for that. Again, its Paris and there are a lot of cafes and boulangeries near where you can get a coffee and pain au chocolat for less than 10 euros. But after all, I would highly recommend staying here if your budget or your points balance allows it.

3 Thank edFT
Milano
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Hotel recently opened, however this is not an excuse for the bad service received in the room (i.e. toiletries not of a high standard, poor linen, no turn down service, etc...).

Breakfast is a nice experience, but again very expensive (45 €uros).

On a positive note, reception and concierge staff is very helpful and professional.

Overall experience was disapointing for a 5 stars hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank G974
olivier s, Directeur général at W Paris - Opera, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear G974,

Thank you for having shared your experience. I will be please to investigate a bit further re the problems you mentionned about the Style in the room. We will revert to you immediately in order to get additional information.

I will also share your comments about the overall positive impression and particularly with our Concierge and the Welcome team.

Should you have any wish for your next stay in Paris, please do not hesitate a second to ask. We will make sure you get an unexpected experience.
Thanks

San Francisco
Reviewed May 7, 2012

... I love the one in Hoboken -- always stay there when I'm in NY -- and on a recent trip had the chance to stay at the W Paris Opéra and the W St. Petersburg (reviewed separately). My husband and I were in Paris for a week with our 13-year-old goddaughter and her mom, then went down to Lyon for Easter weekend. We came back up to Paris for one night, then he went home to SF and I went to London for work. Our experience with Starwood hotels in Paris has been good-not-great: the Westin Vendome is nice, but not really our style -- more my Mom's style. The Meridien is okay -- like the neighborhood -- but basically a businessman's hotel. The W Opéra... well, given the choice, I wouldn't stay anywhere else. The hotel had only been opened 3 weeks when we arrived, but the staff was flawless -- welcoming, gracious, very cool but not in an off-putting way. We loved the room they put us in -- I've got to start writing down room numbers -- we called ours the "transgender suite" -- the B&W photographs on the walls all seemed to be of people who had been chosen deliberately for the hard-to-determine or mixed-quality gender -- eye-catching and intriguing. The suite itself was very large (especially for Paris) nicely laid out and very quiet. This is now my favorite hotel in Paris.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple