“Best museum ever”

Musee de la Chasse et de la Nature
Ranked #77 of 1,619 things to do in Paris
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Not for tourists that are around just for a few days, but a must do museum for Men. Very nice well decorated rooms and a lot of cool guns! Ppl there are really nice, specially an elder guy, with mustache and glasses, which don't remember his name, but he knows every single thing that is in that museum! Give him a medal please!

2  Thank f_corona_europe
"museum pass"
"taxidermy"
in 34 reviews

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Truly a cabinet of curiosities - from the artwork to the taxidermy, what an experience. Entrance is only 6 euros, what a steal. Each room has clipboards with English or French guides to the items featured. The front desk recommended an hour to visit, allow yourself a little longer so you can linger in any areas that are particularly interesting.

4  Thank Smartyfiles
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I cannot recall how I found this museum but I am glad that I did. I had never even heard of it before this last trip to Paris. The museum is really a cabinet of curiousities. There are numerous rooms devoted to different types of species. Throughout the museum are stuffed animals, a polar bear, talking boar, birds, different large cats and a deer. One room was dedicated to dog and explained the role of dogs and their socialization with humans throughout history. The explanations are both in English and French. Some of the rooms have numerous cabinets that you can pull out. Each cabinet is filled with something that is relevant to the display. The guards here are fantastic. They were taking around the younger children and explaining the displays to them. All the guards seemed very enthusiastic about the museum's displays. I missed the unicorn display and when I inquired about it at the front, a guard took me upstairs to make sure that I found it. This museum is well worth the visit.

2  Thank Tikkadog
Reviewed December 23, 2012

As we were leaving, one of the guards, who had been quite helpful and friendly, asked if we thought it was beautiful, and my wife and I said yes it was (which it was). The guard gave us a big smile and a thumbs up, and said, "On a de la chance" -- meaning he was very lucky to be working there. Which he is. Little to add to the many favorable reviews (with which we agree) except (though someone may have mentioned this) that there is a lot of very interesting metalwork that is part of the museum itself (neat handrails and light fixtures), and that the everything is put together perfectly.

2  Thank dennisfr
See more reviews
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I had wanted to visit some lesser-known (at least by me) attractions on a repeat visit to Paris and found this museum via tripadviser. Wow, it really was a unique experience. It's definitely a bit out there, but I really liked it - the owl room, leopards and polar bear were my favorites! But I also enjoyed learning about boars and their depictions in art (who knew they used to be a symbol for royalty?) I think there was one other couple at the museum when I was there, so it's a nice change from the hordes other places had, too.

2  Thank amy-c-atl