“Beautiful paintings”
Review of Jeu de Paume

Jeu de Paume
Ranked #232 of 1,108 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: A leading pole for the exhibition of photographic and other images, from the 19th to the 21st century (cinema, video, installation, etc.). Jeu de Paume produces, coproduces and hosts exhibitions as well as film programmes, symposiums, and public activities
Bushmills, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Beautiful paintings”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The most lovely paintings you can see.The impressionists at their best.Very quiet when i went there and time to sit and look around.It is smaller than most but that can be better.

Visited April 2012

Paris, France
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“photo”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

the place to see modern photography and visual arts. nice exhibitions and a very good library. also a good reason for a walk in tuilleries at the end of the day, before sunset.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank dp11022
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“many locals”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The French like to visit museums and galleries during their time off, and this one is very popular. I went in to see a Diane Arbus display. I thought it was a bit pricey, but the building is nice to see anyway. I would give the cafe a miss though.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank burnie100
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great venue. Lousy shows.”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I've made a good living in the visual arts professions, have over 22,000 pics in my iPhoto library, and love a good photography show.
This wasn't it.
Despite the philosophical prose promoted by the curators, and the incredible huge billboards of the lovely reclining nude in every other Metro station, I found the Manuel Alvarez Bravo show lacking in several respects.
First, with a very few wonderful exceptions, the images themselves are often so small & dark that I wonder if they really reflect the original effort. I shouldn't have to as my wife, "What am I looking at?!"
Next, acknowledging that I'm not totally familiar with the political context, the dead body shots seem like film noir exploitation and reek of 'sensationalism!'.
And fool me once, fool me twice, the HUGE billboard nude turns out to be a small postcard size picture, insignificant in impact. I admit, great marketing, they got me.
Finally, why can't photography shows be better lit?
I know it's complicated & UV rays are killer to old photos, but perhaps a combination of halogen lighting and incandescent may be most suitable for the widest range of art lighting situations. Museum professionals have not yet accepted that halogens are completely non-damaging to works of art, those stuffy Luddites:)
Upstairs is some odd but far more interesting contemporary art, but it was weird seeing 4 people staring at a 3-screen video of hands clapping, intercut with a few 'WWII' & Vietnam conflict pictures.
This is not our first negative encounter with Jeu de Paume.
We saw a show in May so insignificant that I can't remember the artists, and didn't bother to put it in my daily notes. I do recall that only one room was open, one was closed, and one was showing a completely blank video. Really!
The venue is quite nice, and NOT tiny as some people say. Including the upstairs, there's plenty of gallery & wall space, and it's very well designed.
Unhappily, the shows we've seen don't match the venue.
In fact, we've viewed superior shows in multiple galleries, libraries and museums across Paris.
Too bad Jeu de Paume shows don't make the cut.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Petexyz
New York City, New York
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Lovely, lovely, tiny - with great Monet room”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Well worth visiting in Paris. It is tiny. But there is a fantastic Monet room and many other gems. Great location and you can easily stop by.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Elena S
jeudepaumeparis, Responsable relations publiques at Jeu de Paume, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
You are probably talking about the Musée de l'Orangerie, not about the Jeu de Paume! It's easy to get confused: the two museum face each other in the Jardin des Tuileries. ;)