“This bad bad bad!!!!”
Review of Hotel Exelmans

Hotel Exelmans
Ranked #1,610 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Terrible hotel. Walls are super thin so if you want to hear your neighbors having sex, YOU WILL!!!! Theres no lift so be ready to carry your bags up the stairs. The staff is rude, the rooms are dirty, the bathroom is tiny. The location sucks too. Everything is far away. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank iPati79
There are newer reviews for Hotel Exelmans

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel alone in July while visiting some friends. It wasn't overly expensive at €49 (room only) however even by Paris standards this was a complete rip-off for the experience I received. First of all the website is a complete and utter lie. The site portrays it as a nicely decorated small hotel, with a charming garden area close to trocadero. In reality it is a horrible run down building with dark and dingy corridors and rooms, the corridors have crumbling paint and plaster and random bits of old furniture stacked up all over the place as though waiting to be collected by a skip. The rooms have old mismatched furniture that looks like its come from a house clearance and there are exposed pipes and dirty carpets. It's also nowhere near Trocadero. The staff are rude and incompetent, when I complained that the heating was on in my room and I couldn't switch it off (it was 30-somethingºC outside) i was told that the electrician was on holiday and there was nothing could be done. I asked to change to another room and was flatly told that they were all like that, with no effort to help me out or come up with a solution. I've never been so uncomfortable and needless to say I had a horrible night. The shower was dirty with soap scum from the previous guest on the shower curtain and when i lifted the toilet lid the toilet had not been flushed since the last user. It was absolutely disgusting. I would rather have stayed in a youth hostel sharing with 18 snoring students and if it hadn't been so late I would have run a mile. If you're thinking of booking here - DON'T!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank spacegirl293
A TripAdvisor Member
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

For me was nice, close to the station like 2 min by walk and close to the centre. We had a double room for 2 nights, really small but its fine for me once we used just for sleep. The only problem was a big noise when open the hall door and too expensive breakfast 10 euro per person/day. Staff was nice and friendly.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We went there after searching for several weeks for good accommodation in Paris (if you've been there before, you know that's very hard to find). We stumbled across this EXELMANS Hotel, situated near the Exelmans Boulevard (which is a main artery in Paris) and we decided it's a good choice for our 3 nights stay in a romantic citybreak.

The area is great: 2 min away from a central subway line, near the Roland Garros center; you can find a Carrefour supermarket at 5 min distance, very convenient. There's a Japanese restaurant across the street, went there, very good prices. Also, a quiet neighborhood, we went for a stroll one morning and we were enchanted by the quietness and the cleanness we found wondering the streets nearby - that's where you see all those happy French people. :-)

When you get in, the reception desk looks nice. They apologize for the restoration works they're in, but I tell you, the hallway stinks in a very-very... funky way. The hallway is very small and narrow, you can only get to the room one at a time. Fortunately, once you get in, the smell is left outside.

The room we stayed in (no. 8) was very small but it had 2 bathrooms (the water closet was separate from the shower and sink) and a view towards the yard. The bathroom with the shower was nice, clean towels, but we didn't stay in too much.

The cleaning service was OK, our room was tidied up.

In conclusion, I'd say we got a fair price for a hotel where we only slept during the night (we didn't have breakfast there - it costs 10 EUR per person)... if you're fancying a deluxe stay in Paris - this is not it.
PS: I sure hope they'll do something about that terrible smell in the hallway.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Location is good. You arrive at the hotel and the lobby seems ok. But beyond that...
No elevator, so you have to carry your luggage through long, dark, shabby corridors, open one door, then stairs, then another door and another corridor... this up several flights of stairs (in my case the room was in a third floor). The room was very basic, which by itself is not bad, but everything was just old and deteriorated. This, along with the funny smell, made me want to run in another direction (I didn't because I was staying only one night, and they had already preauthorized the charge on my credit card). An old, stained carpet, bathroom door that won't lock, a wardrobe door that almost won't open. A wobbly table with a lamp that you can't plug in anywhere nearby. Two old, uncomfortable chairs. A bed with an ugly old bedspread. A tiny bathroom without basics such as towel or toilet paper holders (a hair dryer would have been too much to ask!). Paper-thin walls so you can hear the loud neighbors at any time.
I had a lousy night's sleep and ran away the next morning as early as possible. Didn't bother to try the breakfast.
The only good thing I can mention is that the wireless internet worked well and was free of charge.
I agree with previous reviewers that the photos of the rooms in the website are completely misleading.
I travel frequently to Paris for work, and the thing that bothers me the most about this city is that, it seems normal that for 100 euros a night (which in many cities in the world would get you a decent hotel room), you might end up in an awful place like this...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I will forward the email that I sent to them without having a reply:
Dear Sirs,
In the last November 28th, I contacted you from Portugal about 19h30 after I have noticed that my voucher was incorrect and that the booking date was for the night before. I asked if I still could use the voucher and your employee told me that was ok (d'accord using her words). I knew this was a favor since you could just say that it was "a no show" and I already have lost my voucher. But, in this case, I could also have looked for another hotel which could diminish my losses (my University will not pay two nights and I will need to pay from my own pocket).
In consequence, I went to your hotel. When I arrived, I was informed by the receptionist that I had to pay the room because his colleague was a trainee and she had no experience and what she told me was incorrect. It was after midnight and it was too late to look for another hotel so I provided my credit card to make a pre-authorization in the value of 90€ (the offer discount was 6€ which was completely ridiculous) in the condition that the things could be discussed next day with his superior.
I will not make any comments about the behavior of the person next day. Her attitude was unbelievable. First, she started by saying that my room had an higher value so the discount was much higher (in this respect, I would recommend you to have better maintenance because I hurt my hand on a bare iron in the toilet door). I don't care and it was not what the former employee told me and this was not the point. The point is that the first employee told me that it was ok to use the initial voucher but obviously the "lady" next morning wanted to receive twice the use of a single night. She also start to yell that I was threaten her (luckily there were more customers that could witness this was completely false) and that she was a woman (great argument these days!).
I needed to go for a meeting so I needed to leave. I requested the complaint/reclamation book (which in Portugal is mandatory to protect the customers from such behaviors) and she refused. I also demanded a receipt for my room which she also refused saying that my credit card was still not charged and only a pre-authorization has been made. The final decision would be made by the owner of the hotel who did not answer the phone call that she tried to do. So, I left my phone number and my email to be contacted. I was not.

This morning, I contacted my bank which informed me that there were not one but two transactions being done by you. One on Wednesday night and another on Thursday (yesterday) around 12am, both in the value of 90€. I could recognize the first (the pre-authorization) but the second is clearly abusive use of the data of my credit cards, or in other words, stealing. You are trying to use my credit card data to charge three times the same room (the voucher, the pre-authorization, and your fraudulent use of my credit card information). I already informed my bank to cancel the card (which will create some problems to me) and to start a formal complaint about the abusive use of my credit card.

Unless that I receive formal apologies from you, I am also planning to contact the French Police to find how to proceed with a formal complaint and also the Tourism Offices of France. Finally, I am planning to disseminate this story among all online booking websites in order to protect other customers of your unacceptable behavior. Or better, unacceptable is a too soft word when you are using my credit card information without authorization to charge me twice. In Portugal we call it robbery. And I can prove it: I told what happened to me to several Professors in the meeting (without knowing that you in the top of everything was also trying to charge me two times).

Rui Fernandes