“A place that will ruin your holiday in Paris”

Hotel Excelsior Republique
Ranked #1,477 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
“A place that will ruin your holiday in Paris”
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Unfortunately stayed 1 night at this hotel. We left first thing in the morning to another hotel for the rest of our time in Paris. Upon arrival at the hotel we were told that our room was being cleaned and would be ready in an hour. The room was unbelievable considering it was just 'cleaned'! It was the smallest room I have ever seen, to think they expect three adults to sleep in there was quite disturbing. There was mould in several areas of the bathroom, and there was an unpleasant smell lingering around the room! there was no ventilation, so to avoid suffocation you have to open the 'balcony' window/door. Also, we could hear everything from neighboring rooms.
This place was not a cheap hotel, so we did not expect what we got.
The only good thing I can say is the man at reception was very friendly. Unfortunately that is not enough to make me stay there again or recommend it to anyone else!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank JetLagd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
India
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Stayed here for three nights.The rooms are so tiny and smelly that it became difficult to sleep without leaving the windows open. Often the washbasin or bath drain would give out an unbearable stench. Requests for clean bath linen was never entertained and on the last day, they didn't even change the used towels. WiFi works only in the reception area and I was told that it works everywhere. I stayed on the first floor and the signals didn't even reach there. The staff at the reception were okay, the breakfast so so.
Avoid this hotel at any cost, there are better ones available close by for just five Euros more.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Tampa, FL
Reviewed November 14, 2008

Good basic hotel. Safe area. Very close to the metro station. Clean rooms, small but comfortable.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank igorp
Liverpool, UK
Reviewed March 16, 2008

This hotel is nice, but dont expect a spotlessly clean room. The top floors of the hotel are a bit tired and in need of a bit of decorating. I think the 1st 2 floors had been decorated as they seemed to be a lot brighter than the top floors.
The staff are friendly and helped us when we asked for directions to areas.
location is great - easy walking distance to x2 metro stations. Republique metro is approx 5 mins walk away. Just one thing to watch out for (same comment as another guest)- the plumbing (or wiring?) kept us awake at night with odd buzzing and tapping noises which started in the early hours. Walking around Paris after 3 or 4 hours sleep is not the best way to enjoy it!!. I can only assume how much noise you get depends where your room is - ours was at the front on the 4th floor. The walls are very thin and you hear everything from the other rooms.
We did nothave breakfast at the hotel as we like to try different cafes, so I can not comment on the breakfast. Over all I would say this hotel is ideal if you are looking for a base camp. I would book this hotel again, if I was staying in Paris for 3 or less days. ( I need my sleep).

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The thin walls and doors slamming early in the morning
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
Reviewed October 23, 2006

Before selecting this hotel I emailed to verify that they had an elevator. We were 3 senior women traveling with heavy suitcases. I received a response that they did have an elevator. What they didn't tell me was that the elevator only went to the 5th floor. When we arrived they put us in a room on the 6th floor. We had to climb a spiral staircase with 20 narrow steps to get to our room. We asked for help with our luggage but was told they were not allowed to help. They did offer to let us leave our luggage in the (tiny) reception area but everything we needed was in the suitcase. The next morning I asked the desk clerk if he would help me contact the lost and found at the airport to see if our lost luggage had been found. We tried to call but could not understand French. The clerk promptly told me he was not allowed to help. We had to go to another hotel to get the help we needed.
The hotel was a typical 2 star French hotel with dark and small hallways and small rooms with carpets that should have been replaced 5 years ago. However, it was what we expected so no surprises there. Breakfast consisted of 3 pieces of bread, orange juice and coffee.
I have been to Europe many times and can honestly say, I have NEVER been treated with such disregard and lack of respect
from the front desk staff.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Spend a little more money and go to a better hotel.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
3 Thank bigbearmama
London, Ontario
Reviewed October 3, 2006

I stayed at this hotel last week in September, 2006. I am female and stayed there by myself and felt very safe. I stayed in room 21 which had been very recently renovated as you could still smell paint. It was immaculately clean and was comfortable. The bathroom was all brand new and very clean. The room had a television - only english channel is CNN international. I skipped the inhouse breakfasts in favour of local patisseries which were cheap and delicious. I walked to and from Republique Metro station alone at night and in the day and found the area to be busy and safe - be smart always and be on alert anywhere you go anyway. There was a grocery store nearby to grab yogurt, juice, etc. and an internet cafe right around the corner. There was some noise from the open window at night but I always use earplugs anyway. For 68 euros a night, this was a good value and met my needs well. I would stay here again. The hallways do appear rundown, in comparison to the newly decorated and renovated room I had, but I did not sleep in the hallway. The staff were friendly, especially when I spoke french.

• Liked — very clean
  • Tips/Secrets — make sure you ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank travellerchick
West Midlands
Reviewed July 23, 2006

We have visited this hotel twice - 2001 and 2005 and found we had the same room both times! It was on the front with a 'balcony' on the second floor. On our first visit the room was decorated in a dark purple wall fabric which made it very dark but on our return visit this had been painted cream - much improved, and a laminate floor had replaced the carpet. The rooms are small but adequate and we had a good-sized bathroom. When we were there renovations were taking place in several rooms and so I suppose this is complete now. The corridors were in need of an update. The breakfast was croissant, fruit juice, bread roll and coffee and was included in our package with Paris Travel Service. There are many restaurants close by (eat off the main tourist streets and it is much cheaper). Very handy for the metro and easy to get to the Gare du Nord. Will have no hesitation in staying there again.

Stayed August 2005