“Odeon St-Germain Delivers”

Ranked #102 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Toronto
“Odeon St-Germain Delivers”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed over a long weekend at the end of May and enjoyed my stay thoroughly. More than 10 years ago, I stayed at the other hotel with a similar name, Odeon Hotel, also in the Saint Germain area. This one is definitely better.

Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The rooms and public areas are very well designed that is both modern and comfortable. Although I was out most of the day and evening hanging out with friends, I found this hotel as a perfect "home" to come back to at the end of the day. Location is perfect and the room (I stayed in a single room), although "petite" in size, is very efficiently laid out. For the size of room I had, I was surprised with how functional the bathroom was, which was also well equipped.

Definitely a hotel I will stay at again on my next trip to Paris!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Anonymous8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We spent two wonderful weeks in Paris from May 2 to May 17 2013. One of the main contributors to this wonderful trip was the Hotel Odeon Saint-Germain and its superb staff. The hotel is perfectly located just a few minutes walk from the Seine and close to the main attractions of Paris, notably the Louvre, just a ten minute walk from the hotel.

The hotel is in a lovely neighborhood, close to the Luxembourg gardens, with endless options for breakfast, lunch and dinner nearby. The hotel breakfast is pretty good and modestly priced, excellent coffee. Nearby you will find lots of good restaurants, if you like Italian try the Marco Polo, for a trendy French try Schmuck or Gerard Mulot's bakery - they are all excellent and there are many more,

There are also many art galleries, specialty stores and beautiful bookstores. You can have lots of fun walking up and down the Boulevard Saint-Germain just looking at the many different stores, trying pastries and of course check a beautiful toy store with lots of Tintin goodies.

The hotel staff was perfect, always there when we needed - and we did need them to help me fix a couple of booking mistakes and help with the delivery of some goods. Their help, always attentive but never intrusive was great and they made us fell welcomed and comfortable in this wonderful city.

Marco S

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty good, it is a quiet neighborhood.
2 Thank Marco S
St. Anton am Arlberg, Austria
Reviewed June 5, 2013

we stayed three nights in this beautiful Boutique Hotel and it was really great. The staff couldn´t be more friendly and helpful with great restaurant recommandations ecc.
The room itself was a bit small, but very cosy and reflected the authentic Parisian style of the old St.Germain houses.
We will certainly come back at our next Paris trip and stay at the Odéon St.Germain.

1 Thank tannenhof1
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Typical upscale Paris boutique hotel. Steps away from Blvd. St. Germaine. Nice lobby sitting/eating area. Buffet breakfast available, but overpriced. Lovely staff at your beck and call. Our room, on the top floor, faced the back. It was extremely quiet, and, as is typical of many older Paris hotels, small. Great medieval architectural details, like mammoth exposed hand-hewn wood beams.The bed was very comfortable, especially if you love who you are sharing it with, because it is not a full queen size. Very cozy, well-decorated, well-appointed room.

2 Thank MacJack23
Wilmslow
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had a lovely experience at this hotel. The staff could not have been more charming, friendly and helpful -- they offered restaurant recommendations, advice on public transport, weather forecasts, umbrellas! There were never any communication problems at all. It is somewhat expensive and the room are small to average in size -- but that is understood with the location and the time of year. We would definitely stay there again -- walking distance to lots of lovely restaurants and attractions. Very dark curtains and no street noise or noise from the hotel at all, so very good if you are a light sleeper.

2 Thank LovelyTrees
Baltimore
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We had a great room (3rd flr), Wonderful breakfast. Quality Concierge service. Location is excellent. We spent 5 nights and each one was a joy. We walked for miles each day and enjoyed our rest. We would love to go back

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CDRBaltimore
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I am just back after 4 nights at the Hôtel Odéon Saint-Germain at the beginning of May and would like to share my opinion with other travellers.

I had booked this hotel, basing on Tripadvisor recommendations (in Paris, I usually either stay with friends or near Champs-Elysées, when travelling on business), and was expecting quite a lot. Some of expectations were met, but there are some things that need to be improved.

I will start with all the positive sides (they are predominant, however), and will give some "leaves-to-be-desired" remarks at the end.

The hotel's location is unbeatable, walking distance to major Paris attractions (Notre-Dame, Louvre, Tuileries, Saint-Germain-des-Prés, even Marais was in only 30 minutes walk!) Round the corner of metro station Odéon (lines 4 and 10), and very well connected to Roissy airport: either by taxi (station at the metro) or by direct RER B from Saint-Michel (5 minutes walk from the hotel). I even managed to be back to the hotel during the day after some shopping before meeting friends, what I usually do not do, to spare the time, but this one was so well located that I had time to do it!

Even if located at the heart of Paris, the hotel is situated in a calm street, so I had no problem with night noise and slept very well. At the same time, you have all the trendy boutique shops, cafés and bars of Saint-Germain-des-Prés so close nearby!

The value was quite ok for this area, quite expensive in Paris: expect some 150 euros per night for a single room, and have a look at their website, they have promotions for stays of more than 4 nights (10% off rate).

The hotel itself is cosy and well-decorated, rather a boutique style, which I prefer to chain hotels. Lobby has some ancient charm, with a fireplace and armchairs, and my single room 20 was located between ground and 1st floor (so no need to use an elevator, even if they have a little one in the hotel).

My room was really small (10 m2), but I didn't spend much time there, so had everything I needed: compfy bed, bath tub (not a shower!), bathrobe, L'Occitane toiletries, free (and quite quick) Wi-Fi for both iPhone and iPad, free safe with a code in the room. Double soundproofing of the door was also a good thing, since I didn't really hear any sounds from the corridor.

Now some things that I would rate as negative, and would ask the hotel management to pay attention to them, if they value their reputation as a 4-star hotel. Overall, I rate here the hotel as "excellent" primarily thanks to its great location, but otherwise it is rather "Good" to "Very good" for me, and definitely needs some improvement to be called a 4-star hotel.

Before my arrival, I e-mailed the hotel 3 times to ask them about a quiet room, not facing the street, and never got an answer. When at my arrival I asked the hotel management about the reason of no-answer (and I spoke French with them), they said something about "communication problem". Well, at the end, my room was really quiet and nice, but you would expect at least a reassuring answer to your e-mail from the hotel management.

Concerning the room: it was not quite new, in the bathroom, the basin was partly chapped. The hairdryer, as mentioned by one of the reviewers, was a cheap on-wall machine, really not a thing you would expect to find in a 4-star hotel. Also I was quite surprised that there was a bathrobe but no slippers in the bathroom.

The breakfast was clearly not worth 14 euros (for that price, you could afford a breakfast at the Café des deux magots, not speaking about other cafés that are so numerous nearby). It was a continental buffet with croissants, jam, some ham, cheese, fruit, yoghurt, and if you wanted scrambled eggs, they were a 5 euros plus (very strange for a 4-star hotel). Also, there was no cottage cheese (fromage blanc), and the cheese selection was really limited (only 3 basic cheese). But the worst of it: my kiwi was mouldy, with clearblue mould marks on it! When I showed it to the waitress, she advised me taking another one (not even an excuse or anything!) After that, I never took breakfast at the hotel anymore.

Finally, I cannot unfortunately agree with other reviewers' opinion as to hotel staff availability and courtesy. Apart from my e-mail with no answer, the hotel staff was not really keen to help, to my impression. Also a very strange thing at my departure was a remark from a hotel manager as to an apple juice that had been allegedly taken from my minibar, even if I told them I had taken nothing (and I do not drink packeted juice!)

I would definitely stay at this hotel again, if the above-mentioned things are improved. The area is lovely, and I have had a very pleasant stay in spite of some little shortcomings.

Room Tip: I had a single room 20 located between ground and first floor, very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo