“Charm, Service, and Location”

Hotel Odeon Saint-Germain
Ranked #103 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Alexandria, VA
“Charm, Service, and Location”
Reviewed November 26, 2011

This petit boutique hotel in the 6th (fully renovated), just down the street from St Suplice, is ideally placed for walking to many of the sights and other delights in Paris. Even if it weren’t so well-placed, the service makes it worth a stay. The front desk staff is warm, welcoming, and patient with badly-spoken French (even though their English is so much better than my fractured French). They are knowledgeable and helpful with anything questions you might have. The rooms in the back (30s) are similar in shape and layout, but the other rooms seem to be one of a kind. The rooms are well maintained, quiet (unless you have noisy neighbors), and beautifully appointed, making good use of small spaces. The bathrooms, with l’Occitane toiletries, squeeze functionality and elegance into limited space. The continental breakfast in the downstairs dining area is perfect, especially if it’s included in your room rate. There are only 2 less than positive things I have to say about the rooms: 1) Lighting. This is an old building (perhaps 2 old buildings) and there is limited natural light. The room lighting is OK, but some recessed lighting in the ceiling would be nice, especially if you need to do work. 2) Room size. Part of Hotel Odeon de St Germain’s charm is its petit-ness. This extends to the rooms. Be prepared for “Parisian” spaces. I book a double room just for myself. A week’s worth of luggage and purchases just about fit. I would recommend that couples consider booking a junior suite if you find small spaces annoying. Still, even with those caveats, I keep returning here. I’ve stayed here 5 or 6 times and can’t wait to go back again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 30s are regular shaped and similar. Other rooms have unique--almost quirky--layouts...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 21, 2011

The heart of Paris, wonderful ambience, this boutique hotel is full of charm, and the staff was extremely helpful and friendly and speak English. yes, the room was small, but we opted for the larger bed, (very comfortable) and in fact, we were upgraded, so even w/ 2 rather large suitcases, we were fine. Last year, we stayed in the 9th Ards. and had a huge room in one of the 5 star hotels, but frankly, the coziness, charm, and" location" of Odeon hotel turned out to be preferable. Feels like your own "home away from home".

Room Tip: Watch for on-line last minute discounts. Great value for the location.
1 Thank NewJerseyPatD
Momtreal
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Reviews were good for this hotel... So my expectations were very high...

Firstly, location is great.. Right in St-Germain surrounded by cafes, restaurants - not too far from la Seine (about 800m).

Rooms are small, which is not a problem for me in a Boutique Hotel... But the vibe is outdated..

In the morning with the checkouts and the clean up, the hotel is a chaos...

Will I go back... I guess it depends on the rate... I wouldn't pay top dollars for this hotel.

Cheers,

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
OSGMANAGER, Directeur général at Hotel Odeon Saint-Germain, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Dear All,

The hotel was fully renovated by a famous french designer five years ago but we respect the opinion of our guests regarding the style of the hotel.
We apologize for the trouble during this exceptionnal week, we were changing the emergency fire doors and it was a little difficult for our clients.

BL
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We have stayed in a number of hotels in Paris over the years and normally switch each visit as my wife and I like to stay in a different are on each visit. We booked the Odeon based on reviews and the location. It is small (39 rooms, I believe) and quite quaint. Rooms are well decorated an the common areas are very tastefully done. Free WiFi is available. There is an honour bar for drinks. Well stocked mini bars in each room. Continental breakfast is available for 14 Euros a night per person.

Rooms are small, as per Parisian standards, but still comfortable and well appointed. The overall level of maintenance is quite good.

Upon our arrival, we were disappointed to find that the hotel was undergoing some retrofitting work to improve its safety systems and that the work was going on outside our room. Since we had booked only a few days earlier, it clearly was known at the time that the work would be ongoing. After discussion with the manager (who was very understanding about it and who clearly empathized with the problem) we moved to a new (and better) room.

Rooms in the back half of the hotel are quieter than the front (away from traffic).

Room Tip: Go for the rear of the hotel, and a higher floor.
1 Thank SlumDog99
Hambon
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I know previous reviewers have mentioned this at length, but no review of this hotel can start without a severe warning about the size of the rooms. This is without doubt the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in (and I speak from a UK/European perspective not from a US perspective, where I know expectations are even higher).

At 6"2 tall, I could just about stand up in the hotel room itself, but could not stand up straight in the shower - this is no exageration - I literally had to crouch to fit into the bathroom which, by way of a comparison, is around the same size as that found on a Boeing 737 and probably smaller than the bathroom on the Eurostar on the way over the Paris. Ok, I am exagerating here, but only just.

As we were only there for 2 nights, we were travelling light with just two small holdalls. This is just as well as in a standard room, there is literally no space to put a decent sized suitcase. The rooom is so narrow that there is approx 5cm of space either side of the bed - and this does not even include any bedside tables of shelving to place a book or a glass of water. The long and short of it is that it is virutally impossible for two grown adults to spend any length of time in the room together unless they are fast asleep.

All in all, this didn't spoil our stay but I do feel the size (or lack thereof) of the rooms are a hugely important factor for anyone even considering this hotel. if you are over 6" tall, then you will feel like a giant anywhere within these four walls.

Otherwise this is a charming little hotel which, had it been €100 a night rather than €200+ I would heartily recommend as a chic little bolt-hole in Paris. It only succeeds in justifying this price tag because of its excellent location in the middle of St Germain and within walking distance of all major sites. There are plenty of great bars and restaurants all around and I would thoroughly recommend the location.

Room Tip: Avoid 'standard' rooms at all cost and do invest in a larger room if at all possible. I can...
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We found the hotel to be charming and well equiped. The staff was very helpful and with a good attitude. The price was not the best, but then again everything is very expensive in Paris. We were on our Honeymoon trip and they upgraded us to a nice room (a little tight) with view on the street. A little noice with the neighboors, but nothing to complain about. Excelent location in St Germain area.
I would definetly recomend it and go back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pablo H
Reviewed November 3, 2011

My wife and I spent 3 nights her in early October. The hotel is in great location on fairly quiet side street. The room was smallish but very comfortable and well decorated. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good and convenient, but a bit pricey. We really enjoyed the hotel and our only one minor complaint was that the wireless signal was very weak in our room. I woul definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011