“Nice and tidy”

Hotel Royal Saint Michel
Ranked #601 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I didn't have high expectations when I was checking in at the hotel. Four stars in Paris often mean two and a half or three. But this time it was certainly worth four real stars.
The room was small but very clean and the same goes for the bathroom. The breakfast was nice and the service was very good.
It’s worth staying at the Royal Saint Michel

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ACWS1969

Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

A friend told us to stay here and she was right. Perfect location in middle if Paris an near all sights and Latin quarter which was best part . As soon as you walked out front door you were in the hustle and bustle if the city

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My brother stayed at BEST WESTERN PREMIER Royal Saint Michel two nights in a single room in February 2013. Have choosen this hotel for its perfect location and also because he stayed here when he first time travelled to Paris more than 10 years ago. This time he had really dissapointing expirience. When I did the booking for him, total charge for two nights was Euro420. When he checked out, the guy at the reception charged his card with a total Euro687. He realized it only in the taxi (his english is not advanced and he could not complian himself) and when I called hotel back asking to clarify this amount, they told me that "by mistake" they put 22 (!!!) bottles of red wine on the room where my brother stayed. They promised to return this money back on the credit card (not done yet). I assume that hotel clerk in a 4-star property should be smart enough and could just apply common sense to understand that it is impossible to drink 22 bottles during two-nights stay in a single room. I had a feeling that they just thought he will not check the receipt and charged more money. Very disappointing experience which you do not expect from the 4 start hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Anastasia G
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Normallement je suis une fan des Hotels Best Western, et ceci pour la qualite du service, le personnel etc .... mais celui de Saint Michael c'est la catastrophe!!!

Normally, im used to stay in Best Western Hotels, but Saint Michael was a DISASTER, the rooms look big on the website but in the reality they're very very very small no enough space to even walk with your partner. This is not all the elevator it's not made for two people, only for your luggages! In the restaurant we couldn't even move its very very very small, not even enough space use a table, you should walk and be carful to not break something or walk on your neighbor's shoes. My breakfast there, was a catastrophe! first the food is put on some sort of shelves of glass, i remember when i asked for bread, the Waiter told me no Bread no juice left. Pepole must run to have breakfast, there was a man who ended up by having one small croissant and a coffee, plus the Waiter doesn't even understand English or French. I feel so sorry that in France there are hotels like that.
My advice to you please STAYING THERE IS LIKE BEING IN A CAGE, but IF YOU DO IT MAKE SURE TO WAKE UP VERY EARLY TO GET ENOUGH BREAD, AND JUICE.

The hotel is clean, very well located

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Hilana
BREARD, Manager at Hotel Royal Saint Michel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Hilana
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 01 44 07 06 06.

Isabelle
Assistant Manager
BEST WESTERN PREMIER Royal Saint Michel

Reviewed February 5, 2013

we booked two rooms for four people from Jan 19-21 2013. Please see room 203 vs 304. We were told by Bertrand that the size of a room is irrelevant as long as we are provided 2 beds. We were forced to pay the same price for these rooms. Bertrand stated that he would move the people staying in rm 203 to a bigger room the next day (rm 207) BUT the prices would remain the same (price difference due to day of week). We were not given even a "sorry" for this. We were told that the people who booked us when we called the 1-800# are "NOT knowledgeable (Bertrand made it sound as if the booking people were stupid) and that since this hotel is providing us with 2 beds, it's irrelevant about the size of the room or that room 203 was tiny". I guess we could have gotten bunk beds in a closet and paying $500.00 for one night per room is "ok". The next night fell on a Sunday, so the price automatically goes down....he was NOT giving us a discount. Bertrand was rude talking down to the American.....maybe he thinks we will not return, BUT we live currently in Germany and plan on taking many family members and friends to Paris.
Our room experienced a power outage which took awhile to fix. The front desk also called us after ten p.m. to let us know our cab is waiting (we never ordered a cab). We did fill out the room survey and presented it to the female assistant manager. She stated that the manager was not there but that the survey would get to her as well as the "main" Best Western office. I'm shocked at this 4 star establishment and feel that I and my family were taken advantage of.
I feel that there should be some sort of financial restitution. We are loyal patrons. The main reason I chose a Best Western hotel over ALL others was the outstanding customer service I received when calling the USA 1-800# number. The assistance I received, friendly mannerism and professional courtesy, made us want to use your hotels exclusively.....NEVER AGAIN

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank Sue S
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have travelled to Paris a few times and stayed in some great places but this one was by far the best for location, quality of service and hospitality. Most of the staff speak English quite well and are good humoured with the botched-up attempts at French from people like me. The room was small, but with Notre Dame literally two blocks away, Saint Michel Metro a few seconds from the front door and the Left Bank all around you, who is going to complain?! We arrived in the early evening of New Year's Eve and the hotel manager arranged tickets for a NYE dinner dance on the Seine which sounds a bit kitchy but was magical. The management really looked after us even to the point of showing us where the elevator to the metro was so we wouldn't have to drag our bags down the metro steps (been there and done that in the past and am very happy not to have to do it again!)

Room Tip: Rooms over the Boulevard Saint Michel give a great view; double glazed windows keep the noise to a m...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SydneyPaul
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is a really good hotel. One will find it a hard task to get a relatively cheap deal for a hotel that is in the heart of Paris, not a hostel, and has the stocked amenities of Western comfort. This hotel, tucked away in a cranny between a row of restaurants at the edge of the Latin Quarter, undoubtedly does. A stone's throw from the boulevards of the Left Bank, the Louvre, and up-close-and-personal views of the Seine, this hotel outdoes many five-star lodgings that cost tenfold. If there is anything that makes this hotel so optimal, it's that proximity to everything - a vitality in such a daunting city as Paris. The interior is nicely furnished. Nothing too fancy: carpet floors, high ceilings, etc. We (3 people) booked a triple room, which was, as expected, tightly packed by American standards. But that's OK! Consider this as an incentive to get out and explore Paris, instead of sitting in the room. The lobby, elevator, and breakfast room are the banes of the hotel's existence. The lobby, I would imagine, becomes incredibly crowded in the Season. The elevator fits 2 people, at most. One with a piece of luggage. It was in the space encircled by the spiral staircase. In hindsight, the whole idea of an elevator is hilarious; better than nothing, though. The breakfast room is built in what was a hotel room. Some people were deferred breakfast until much later, as there are only seven tables. And when it gets filled up, the room becomes quite uncomfortable. The assortment of food is fresh and tasty. The service is... well, French. The people at the front desk are generally nice. However, the least pressure on them sends them into a slight anger. It's almost intimidating. The breakfast room is staffed pretty well, especially by the Dominican man. The others are competent as well, but the hectic circumstance makes servicing the room impossible, which catches the ire of guests. The organization can be a bit off. The control to the TV was not working in our room, so we had to talk to the front desk. They were maybe a day late in fixing the problem. And did not even acknowledge their fault in this. Overall, amongst other Parisian hotels in its echelon, this one is amazing. Depending on my needs and the price at the time, I would certainly stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for triple rooms. They're a bit pricier, but a LOT larger. They also have views of St. Miche...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family