“Great Location. . No SLEEP”

Hotel Royal Saint Germain
Ranked #551 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Location of this hotel is great! Close to 2 Metros to get you everywhere. Allen the concierge is wonderful. However. . We stayed one night on the 4th floor facing Rennes. Yes.. you hear the road noise and sirens. We then checked out to drive overnight to Normandy and Mt. Saint Michael. They held our luggage no problem! When we checked back in for our other 2 nights, they gave us 1st floor room 18. I had read a review on room 14 and figured we were ok down the hall. No we were not. The noise on this floor is horrible! ! The walls are very thin in all rooms and on this particular floor is the breakfast room. And YES you hear it all!! We dealt with it because we were on such a short stay and didn't want to deal with moving everything again. The location by far is the best.. restaurants.. bakerys.. shopping.!! Grocery store.

• Stayed: November 2013
5  Thank joybritton
There are newer reviews for Hotel Royal Saint Germain

Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband I and spent three nights here while on our honeymoon and I would absolutely stay here again. After reading other tripadvisor reviews I was terrified that the room would be horrifyingly small, but it was actually quite comfortable. No, it was not as big as your average American hotel room, but we had a good sized bed (I didn't measure it but it seemed to be a queen or close to it), a small desk and chair, a bench, and open shelving and place to hang coats just outside the bathroom. The bathroom was new and modern and the shower had good water pressure, unlike the other hotel where we stayed in France.

My one complaint was that the thermostat in our room didn't function properly and our room was very warm. We ended up sleeping with the window open one night (and it was 46 degrees outside). (And I should add, Rue de Rennes is a very busy street at all hours of the night and I was highly impressed at how much noise the window blocked out when actually closed.) The second time I complained to the staff they finally were able to reset the system and we got some air circulating in the room.

The location is excellent. Very close to two metro stops (and the lines we ended up using most often) and tons of shopping and restaurants. It's also a reasonable walk to the river, the Louvre, and Notre Dame. The staff was also friendly and helpful, and most spoke excellent English. Considering the price we paid I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Valerie M
RoyalstGermain, Directeur général at Hotel Royal Saint Germain, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank you for choosing our hotel during your stay in Paris, and for taking the time to give us your feedback.
Know that we are sensitive to feedback from our customers to improve our services.
We are sincerely glad to hear that your experience was up to your expectations and our team.

We look forward to welcoming you soon among us,

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Nice neighborhood on the Left Bank. About a 15-20 minute walk to the River up Rue de Rennes. Paris hotels of this quality were mostly out of our price range, so we were willing to stay a littler further from where we wanted. However, it was a short walk to transportation. Room was very small, but there was a lounge/breakfast area where you could relax if needed. We were not in the room much, and the only negative was this was not convenient to stop at mid-day for a break. The WiFi was a bit weak, but worked when we needed it to. Would look to stay here again if our budget is limited again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Matt V

We look forward to welcoming you soon,

Regards

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Spent 3 days in Paris with family and friends celebrating our silver wedding anniversary. Stayed at the Royal Saint Germain. The rooms were small but had nice clean bathrooms and comfortable beds. Good location for the shops/restaurants/cafes. Friendly and helpful staff at the front desk. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Moi D
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week. The room and bathroom was decent size and was clean. My husband didnt use the safe as it was a very old one and there were no instructions on how to use it. The location is close to shopping and short walk to metro station but the food nearby was not very good. The one big issue that everyone should be AWARE of is that they will not honour the free breakfast if you book through expedia! The receptionist even said that to us which was not very professional in my opinion. We were on the phone with expedia for an hour and half and they told us to pay the hotel ($13/person which was crazy for what they provided) and they will reimburse us. They said their contract with the hotel clearly states it is included. Also not sure if they actually replaced the linens as it looked like the lint from my pjs were still on the sheets after they cleaned the room.

1  Thank Foodielovetodine

We are sorry the problem you have encountered about breakfast. I still wanted to tell you that your consultant at Expedia you very misinformed. We did not, after verification, no agreement between us with this agency, offering breakfast. For this, I have an email from service Expedia, confirming our say, and I'll be happy to send it to you.

I invite you to send me your email address: direction.stgermain@escapade-paris.com

Despite this, we look forward to welcoming you very soon,

Best Regards,

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Just came back from Paris. My friends and I spent 7 nights at the Royal Saint Germain. The air conditioned rooms were small but adequate. There was some road noise in rooms that face the street but the blockout drapes helped to muffle the noise. Bathrooms were new, modern and spacious. The buffet breakfast was a great start to the day. Mathieu at the front desk was especially helpful in planning trips and giving directions when needed. The location on the Rue de Rennes was excellent. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Irene M
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We came to Paris after staying in a beautiful hotel in Bruges and unfortunately this hotel came as a massive disappointment. The room is very small, as is to be expected for the price in Paris, but that wasn't the reason I was disappointed - in fact the room itself was ok.

What really lets this hotel down isn't the rooms but the corridors which all smell musty, with badly fitting and stained carpets. The corridors are narrow, dark and depressing.

The entrance lobby is nothing more than a corridor with the desk wedged in under the stairs and the hotel is a couple of doors up from the entrance to a car park which has a number of homeless people sleeping in the doorways. During our stay we came out of the hotel to see police forcibly moving them on.

The traffic noise is absolutely unbelievable - I was prepared for some noise but it was like sleeping on a motorway and I had to go and buy ear plugs.

And although it is called the Hotel Royal Saint Germain, it is quite a walk from central St Germain, although very near the metro stations.

On a positive note, the staff were indeed all extremely polite, friendly and efficient. They are the hotels biggest credit.

Overall, it is ok for the money. But when I return to Paris I definitely won't stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple