“Small, friendly and well placed for the sights!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Au Trocadero

BEST WESTERN Au Trocadero
Ranked #893 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Essex, UK
“Small, friendly and well placed for the sights!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2008

We have just returned from a few days in Paris, staying at this hotel.

Though it is small, we found it to be comfortable and above all clean. Staff were friendly and helpful.

The rooms were smallish (as expected in a city), tastefully decorated and the bathroom was a good size with everything we needed in it.

Breakfast was more than adequate for a continental breakfast and in a pleasant setting.

Location was excellent with the Eiffel Tower just around the corner and up the road to the Arc de Triomphe, the metro station was across the road and the journey from Gard de Nord was straightforward and took no more than 35 minutes.

A good choice in our opinion for a few days in Paris.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank spitfire892

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Surrey UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2008

Should have been worried when the travel agency said this place was 'all we can get ' for a particular 3 day stay in Paris. First the good - location - just stumbling distance from Trocadero Metro - with a great range of cafes/bistros right next door - and a view of the Eiffel Tower out some of the street facing windows. ....and it was very clean. Rooms are small and basically furnished.

Now the grim reality . The air conditioning did not work - ever -at all - during my stay despite daily reporting of the fault. - the great location made keeping the windows open unrealistic as the traffic noise was very loud. The wireless internet worked only on 1 day out of three and the sole member of staff who sits on reception seemed reluctant to be bothered to sell us the voucher needed to access it. As a finale on the last day - the lift was out of order and I had to lug my suitcase down 5 flights of stairs with no help at all.

PS the credit card link was also down as I tried to check out! I paid 190 Euro a night which I feel was way o ver the top for what was on offer.

I guess this could have just been bad luck - but the staff did not seem to give a toss. I won't be back - and if you have any choice at all - I would advise you to give it a miss

Stayed June 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2008

My fiancee took me away for the weekend to Paris. We are getting married on 10th May 08 and he wanted to surprise me with a trip away to have some time without wedding talk.

We travelled by eurostar to Gard du Nord. From there we got a taxi to the hotel, which took about 20 mins and cost 11 Euros. The hotel was in an excellent location and the Eiffel Tower was only about a 10 min walk away.

When we entered the hotel to check-in (at 10.30am), to our surprise, our room was ready and they let us check-in. The man on reception said hello, and could speak enough english for a conversation.

The reception area was clean but small. There are 5 floors, with 5 rooms on each floor. Our room (no 51) was clean and tidy. We did find a few problems though. The safe in our room didn't work. We asked at reception if they could help us, but all they offered was to kep items in the safe at reception.

The view out of our bedroom windows was a brick wall. We had also booked a double room and got a room with 2 single beds put together, with seperate sheets.

We also tried to operate the air conditioning later in the evening, but nothing worked. We looked thorugh the manual and pressed all the buttons - but still nothing. So instead we had the windows open. With the windows open we could hear quite a lot of noise from the street, but when they were closed there wsn't that much noise. If you're thinking of taking small children to this hotel, be careful as i did not feel that the windows were that safe.

We also tried to ask reception later in the evening, where a different member of staff was attending, for a coffee tray. Only to be told that there should be a coffee making facility in our room. My fiancee asked for milk to go with our coffee, and the response seemed to be that this was a lot of effort for the man to get us some milk. My Fiancee came back up and checked the room over. We could not find anything. He went back down and told the man on reception and then found a tray. When he came back to the room the kettel didn't have the pug to the wall with it, so yet again he went back down to reception to ask. Again he was met with the attitude that this was too much trouble. But in the end we did get our coffee.

In the morning breakfast is served in the small area behind reception. There were only 5 tables, but the selection of food was good. A few more people came down for breakfast and then it seems a bit overcrowded, even though there was only about 8 people in the eating area.

We were able to keep out luggage in the reception office the following day until it was time for us to leave Paris.

It was in a fantastic location - we used the red car (Les Cars Rouge) open top bus to tour the city and there was a bus stop just outside the hotel.

Overall i would say this hotel is perfect for a short stay in Paris. the hotel was adequate and you just need to be aware that some staff didn't seem keen on helping with any problems.

• Liked — The Location - definately
  • Disliked — The problems with our room and the lack of help from reception
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Linlithgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

I stayed in the best western au trocadero with my finace for my birthday at the end of Jan. This is a small and compact hotel which is very close to the eiffel tower and is right across the road from the trocadero metro stop. It is an ideal base for those who want to see paris but do not want ot pay paris prices!! we are used to staying in some really amazing hotels and so was pleasantly suprised by this 3* hotel. The staff were helpful and friendly, especially the lady that works during the day. The bedrooms themselves are small but they are clean and fresh. The bathrooms look like they have been renovated recently and were lovely. We had booked a queen bed room with a courtyard view. On the first night we arrived we were given the keys to the room and when we got into the room we realised we had twin beds. I went downstairs to complain and the staff we apologetic and explained that rooms had been overbooked and we would get a queen room the next day. sure enough the next day we were called by reception at 9.30am and asked to move rooms. We ended up in a room with a king size bed that overlooked the eiffel tower. If you are loking for a comfortable hotel which is in a nice quite suburban location and which is a good price then this is perfect. It is not anything particularly fancy but its a sweet little hotel nevertheless.

• Liked — th price, good location
  • Disliked — small size of the hotel
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Coeur D'alene, Idaho
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2008

Too bad that there is not a rating for worse than terrible. I agree with the other reviewers that the staff is the worst. Rude, sarcastic, and unhelpful. We were not made to feel welcome at all.

Our recent visit to Paris at this hotel was from Dec 28 2007 through Jan 1, 2008. Husband and myself stayed in room 14; our daughter & son-in-law stayed in room 23. Even though we had checked in at 6pm, room 23 had still not been cleaned.

Our bed was harder than concrete and after a full day of walking, was not a comfort. In room 23, the bed had collapsed in the middle and was evident by just looking at it!

After 3 days of requesting extra pillows in English & French languages, we finally got them on our final day.

Staff are not multi-lingual. They are not helpful in any tourist recommendations at all. We were told to call from our room in arranging anything, prompting excessive telephone bills. There was also a “hidden” 2euro charge per day on our bill which staff would not explain.

The cards for internet access were not available, staff could not find them at times even though we could easily see them behind the reception desk. Excessive fee of 3euro for 20 minutes internet access!

The 13euro for “continental breakfast” of stale coffee & week old pastries is excessive.

The shower stall has mold on the tiles; the shower splash guard allows water to spray onto the floor; the retractable clothes line within the shower was broken. Staff did not replace the used soap each day.

There were no vending machines even though this is touted as a feature. Staff also discouraged us from using the sitting area.

Even though we were staying in a non-smoking room, the staff would smoke in the room while they cleaned.

The only convenience of this hotel is the location; but there are others just as close. The view is ok of the Eiffel Tower, but we were not in our rooms often enough to appreciate the view.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hluebner
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2007

nice hotel not posh but very nice would stay there again staff was all friendly breakfast very nice room small but clean and bathroom nice close to everything eiffel tower 2 mins around the corner

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2007

Good hotel but staff not particularly welcoming, young chap on reception merely looked up at me when I arrived and didn’t say anything, seemed to have a slight smirk on his face and looked down his nose whenever I had to talk to him. The room wasn't ready at 1pm so came back later, he didn't seem to recognise me from earlier as he again just looked at me with a blank expression and I had to explain that I had returned to see if my room was ready. Maybe I am being unkind and too critical and what I perceived as coldness was what he thought was being professional. I booked a double room with an Eiffel Tower view but got a single room with courtyard view, no warning about this when I checked in Room was very nice though and was very comfortable with excellent aircon & soundpoofing. Mini bar prices were expensive, 250ml Beer was 4.80 Euro, 500ml Water 3.20 Euro, Miniature Whisky 7 Euros and a half bottle of Champagne 29 Euros. No English channels on TV and shower tray leaked water into room badly, had to use towels to soak up water from the carpet. The location is excellent right near the Eiffel Tower and a stone's throw from the Trocadero Metro. Next time I think I'll stay in the Marais district though, it seemed a little livelier and had more heart. The Trocadero area is very safe and upmarket however. If the staff had been friendlier (a welcoming smile and a 'bonjour!' would have made all the difference) than I would have probably given this hotel five stars. As it was I left the hotel feeling slightly unwelcome and with no desire to return, what a shame.

• Liked — Location, very good room standard, nice area
  • Disliked — Staff