“Escape from the City”

French Mystique Bike Tours
Ranked #52 of 146 Outdoor Activities in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: We are the only bike tour company in Paris offering biking day trips into the countryside near Paris. Get off the beaten path on a biking day trip from Paris to see beautiful chateaux and medieval towns, biking on quiet country roads through the rural French countryside and passing through charming, unknown centuries old villages. You can see major destinations such as Chartres, Provins and Monet's House and Gardens in Giverny among other destinations while also experiencing completely off the beaten path places that no other tourist (and many French people, including my wife) have ever seen. This is a totally unique biking experience. We also offer biking tours in Paris and all our Paris tours are custom tailored to our client's needs. There are no planned itineraries for our Paris tours so they are always unique. See the main tourist sites and attractions or go on an off the beaten path adventure and visit sites no other tourist sees. You can also do a mix of major sites and off the beaten path exploring. Whatever you choose your bike tour with us will be one of your most memorable experiences of your trip to Paris.
new orleans, la
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Escape from the City”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My wife and I, age 49 and holding, found Bruce through Trip Advisor and then went directly to his site to review the many different rides that he offers. I am in full agreeement with many of the other reviews posted. Bruce was personable, flexible, easy to reach - even once we arrived in Paris, and a pure delight to ride with.

Our vacation was based completely in Paris. Our 8 days were spent in the City with the exception of a bike ride through the grounds of Versailles with another tour company, that included 26 other riders. Our ride with Bruce was much more personal as it was just my wife, Bruce and I. We chose the Fountainbleau - Barbizon and Milly-le-Foret route which was 40km in length. The timing and pace of the trip could not have been better.

Being out of the hustle and bustle of the City and in the very colorful, diverse and historic countryside was so very relaxing and beautiful. So unique and a wondereful contrast from the city life.

What I appreciated most about Bruce was his respect for time - allowing plenty of it. Never feeling rushed, Bruce allowed us to stop for a cafe au'lait whenever. We took advantage of this in Fountainbleau and Barbizon. He allowed us to roam the grounds of Fountainbleau at our own pace. He encouraged me to stop and take pictures whenever I wanted and even suggested a shot when we were on our last hill allowing a glorious downhill view of one small village. There was no set time on when we would have lunch and Bruce had enough Chateaus to choose from whenever our mood struck and we were ready to pull off to eat.

Bruce's ride description was accurate in distance and effort level. He even offered to extend our ride while keping in mind the train schedule to get s back into Paris.

I have told everyone that I can that this was the highlight of my trip. I would ride with Bruce over and over again should I be fortunate to return to Paris.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank gpr62

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Major Highlight of Our Trip To France”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My husband, son (14 years old), and I just got back from a 2 week trip to France. We spent 7 days in Paris and will always remember the 2 days that we spent with Bruce bike riding. Bruce is a Boston born Parisian (so he obviously speaks excellent English) who was so dedicated in making sure that we were happy with his tours. He spent lots of time with me via email planning our trip - including what we would be doing prior to arriving in Paris- and was flexible with our bike routes when the weather forecast was bad. We had planned one trip into the countryside and made a last minute decision to ride to Versailles due to the forecast, even though this was a less profitable trip for him. We had a great, full day, including safely riding around the Arc d'Triomphe and down the Champs Elysees at rush hour (something my son loves to tell his friends). Our planned 2nd trip also had to be changed due to the weather, but Bruce picked a beautiful alternative ride (Moret Sur Loing to Nemours) and packed a great picnic. During our trips he made sure that everyone was comfortable with the riding pace and he provided thorough information about what we were seeing. I highly, highly recommend his tours.

2 Thank Bayareastephie
Brisbane, Australia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Bike Riding in the French country side”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We were 3 ladies in our late 40's wanting to do a bike ride in the french countryside some of us were not overly fit, and Bruce from French Mystique could make this all possible. He looked after us very well and made the bike ride to suit what we wanted to see and our abilities. We rode threw quaint country towns, through forests and wheat fields. Even though we were sore it was one of the highlights of our trip. I would highly recommend this tour.

1 Thank ourfreddie
Nashville, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Riding to create memories for a lifetime”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

If you're considering cycling in France, you truly owe it to yourself to take this opportunity. Bruce has created an experience that is unlike anything else you can find. Our day started by running the streets of Paris and jumping on the RER (commuter rail). Then off to the French countryside to see France as few truly get to see it. Amazing vistas (see pictures), ancient ruins, and wonderful conversation awaited while the kilometers passed by.

Not only was it the sights, but also the sounds and aromas that surrounded us as we rode the wandering quiet countryside roads. Fields of barley, wild flowers, and the vineyards of Champagne presented itself like postcards.

The one thing that I enjoyed the most was having the personal experience with Bruce. He made the day like being with an old friend who I knew in Paris. From getting a cafe at the station to sharing oranges on a fence surrounded by fields, he made sure to give me the personal touch that one can't find just anywhere.

We finished the day having a couple of glasses of champagne in Chezy-sur-Marne while chatting with the locals. A tremendous way to cap a long ride.

I can't wait to return, explore again, and create another memory that will be cherished for a lifetime.

2 Thank Michael S
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A charming ride through the country”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I had planned this trip to surprise my fiancee for her birthday, and brought along two friends. It turned out to be a day of pleasant surprises for all of us. Bruce was very accommodating, helpful, and considerate as he assisted me with my planning. His website was also a great help since it provided detailed choices to tailor the tour, such as difficulty level, bicycle models, destination features, distance, etc. Be sure to check out his trip reports under "Our Bike Tours" to get an idea of each tour. We chose an easy ride with few hills and only an hour by train outside of Paris. Our bikes were fitted according to our preferences and comfort, and Bruce even gave us the option of switching destinations and days [we did both] in order to avoid inclement weather. Riding to the station as Paris was waking up was a unique experience too. After Bruce assisted us in buying our train tickets, we hung our bikes on convenient hooks in the train car and chatted as we took in the scenery. But the train ride was just an introduction to the incredible sights and sounds of the towns and countryside. The four of us have biked on camping trips and city streets at home, but nothing prepared us for the charm and allure of chateaus, abbeys, and churches nestled in quaint villages with vibes of their own. Bruce was a fantastic guide all the way, sharing his knowledge of history and culture, stopping or slowing down as needed to take pictures, rest, and even check out a snake sunning on a stonewall. Our trip was graced with a picnic and a tranquil moment for some of us to nap under an ancient shady tree. If you like to bike and wish to add something special to your trip to Paris, this is a great option. We recommend it wholeheartedly and hope to join Bruce again for another ride someday.

Visited May 2012