“Basic hotel, perfect location”

TRYP Paris Opera Hotel
Ranked #597 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Rovaniemi, Finland
“Basic hotel, perfect location”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Visiting in August, air-con is a must. We did have in our room but it didn't work. It just moved the hot air inside. There was one positive thing with the really noisy air-con though, during the night time it hushed the noise coming from downstairs bar. LOL.
Location otherwise perfect, just outside Grand Boulevards metro station and a short walk from the Louvre. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel but in the opposite cafeteria (just across the street) really good baguettes.
Would I go again? Probably not.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Minttu K
guestexperienceparis, Guest Experience at TRYP Paris Opera Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Minttu K,

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know you feedback from your recent stay with us. As you pointed out, we had a problem with our air conditioning system during your stay, we do apologize for this incident and I am pleased to inform you that the air conditioning is working properly now.

On your next visit to Paris I do hope that you will return to stay with us.

Best regards,

Melia Hotels International France

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Tryp Paris was the last hotel we stayed at on our recent 14 day vacation in Europe. I screen all hotels against tripadvisor ratings/comments and this is the first time I was not impressed. First, I will allow that the hotel is clean, the location is very good and our kids loved the bunk beds.

Here is what I found unacceptable (beyond the alarmingly small elevators). Check in is at 2pm. I arrived with the family from the airport at 2:10pm and was told the room was not ready. I asked when I could return and was told that the room would be ready in one hour. We were told to check our luggage in a room down the hall (the whole process was self-serve). After a wonderful lunch, we returned at 3:45pm only to be told the room still was not ready for us. I spoke with the manager who offered a giggling apology and advised my family we could sit and wait until it was ready - in 20 minutes. At 4:25pm (forty minutes later) we were called to the front desk to check in. I found the whole handling of the situation to be far too relaxed and really it didn't seem like there was much care taken to assist us.

I did chuckle to myself throughout this that the TripAdvisor customer service award for 2012 is hanging in the lobby.

At the end of the day, nothing about the hotel compensated for this experience.

Room Tip: Kids love the bunk beds! It's a nice option if you are willing to negotiate the "who sleep...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank OttawaMarc26
NYC
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I guess if you are use to staying in hostels, or are in college and are looking to split 200 bucks a night with your bros, this indeed is a "good value" considering it's one plus is its location: 20 minute walk to Le Louvre. Outside of that, however, there is little upside.

When my girlfriend and I checked in after a tiring journey from Spain, we noticed the neighborhood was very vibrant. The vibrancy of the neighborhood was an interesting contrast to the sour nature of the front desk hotel man. For example, when asking for adapters, we were barely able to get two (both of which ended up not working). When also asking for a customary guide/map, he told us they were "over there"- as in, go fetch yourself on the other side of the room.

When we got to our hallway, I instantly noticed an odd smell- almost like your grandfather's damp basement. Inside the room, it was even worse. The bathroom, small like many in Europe, was the source of the odd smell. I guess it was mostly mildew as the plastic shower curtain does not function well at trapping the water inside the 2 foot by 2 foot shower (no, you cannot bend down to wash your toes/legs). Also, interesting about the bathroom was the ingenious invention of a multi pong cleaning solution: shampoo, conditioner, body soap, and hand soap- all in one. The TRYP had it in those pump devices you find in public restrooms.

The bed's sheets were so rough that if you run your knuckles against them with some speed, you will get a carpet burn. The pillows were about 2 inches thick. The bed's mirror also had a creepy Greek gods 'artwork' plated in the middle (see photo below), staring at you and your romantic interest attempting to slumber in the rough sheets.

The curtain also had cig burns (even though a no smoking room).There was no internet service either, unless you wanted to hook your cpu up to the ehternet line (is this 1998?) and pay 15 EURO/day. I guess we could go down to the lobby though to use the free wifi there. Breakfast is 19 euro, as well.

Bottom line: only do this hotel if a) you really need access to this neighborhood/subway stop,or (b) you are on an extremely tight budget and don't want to be in a hostel. During our three weeks in Europe, we stayed in a variety of hotels with 4 dots from Trip Advisor. This one does not deserve four at all as it was by far the worst hotel experience I've had since college days.

Room Tip: On our second day, while waiting for downstairs in the lobby, I heard a middle age British traveler...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
guestexperienceparis, Guest Experience at TRYP Paris Opera Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Soholiving,

Firstly, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review about the TRYP Paris François

You opinion is very important for us, and you have our commitment, from both the Hotel management and all the staff, that all of your comments will be used to improve our services and make sure that all of our customers have the most pleasant stay with us.

We apologize if our concept did not satisfy your expectations. As you mention; our hotel is very well located in the heart of Paris. Concerning our internet access, I am pleased to inform you that our ADSL access is completely free and we are installing Wi-Fi internet facilities throughout the hotel and we expect to install it at the end of this year.

Concerning our amenities, we would like to inform you that our hotel ,like many others hotels in Paris ,follows the standards of sustainable development.

We are sorry that your experience with our hotel was not to your satisfaction, and we hope that this will not deter you from returning to our Company.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We booked on hotel.com for a family of five for only one night. The hotel kindly receipted our bags early in the morning of our stay although when we returned after 2 p.m. only one of the rooms was available. We were a family of five and booked two family suites although, for such a short stay, we would better have booked just the one. The suites are very spacious, spotlessly clean and air conditioned and consisted of two rooms, one with a double bed, the other with two bunks and a couch, and a bathroom. Unfortunately the two rooms were located on separate floors The location is excellent, just down the road from the shopper’s paradise of Galleries Lafayette. Closeby are a Virgin megastore, a Hard Rock, Starbucks and MacDonalds if you find yourself needing some familiar diversions. It is conveniently close to the Metro Grande Boullevards on line 8 (take the Montmartre exit and you are right outside!) We didn’t have breakfast at the hotel. The WIFI only worked in the foyer. I spotted Deon Meyer's Dead before Dying in a cabinet in the hotel!

Room Tip: The family suites are great value for a family of four (and five on a short stay)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear CPTTravels,

Thank you for completing a review about your recent stay with us and for your compliments regarding our family rooms and the location of the hotel.

We do hope to see you back at the TRYP Paris François Hotel in the near future.

Melia Hotels International France
AndrosBS
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I decided to take a few days in Paris after a grueling business trip to Amsterdam and found the Tryp Francois at a very decent price on short notice.
The location is outstanding. The Metro stop at the front door is a big selling point. I was able to travel throughout the city but even so, train station Gare du Nord and Gare De Lyon are a quick cab ride, The Opera House and Louvre are a short walk, and the hotel is situated itself in a wonderful neighborhood of shops and cafes.

The room was more than adequate and quite cozy and charming. Television was limited, but I did not go to Paris to watch TV. I really liked the Towel warmer in the bathroom, a nice feature unknown in US hotels.

The best part of the hotel is the staff. They were warm and inviting and were extremely patient as I butchered the French language with my atrocious attempt to speak it.
I had a 5am flight out of CDG on Christmas morning and the front desk clerk not only made sure there was a cab waiting to get me there on time, he took the time to come up and knock on the door to make sure I was awake. Way more personal than a ring on the phone and highly impressive.

I totally recommend the Tryp Francois to anyone going to Paris. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
, Guest Experience MHI France at TRYP Paris Opera Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback of your last stay. I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable time at TRYP Paris François Hotel. All the team would like to thank you for your nice comments about their friendliness.

We do look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My wife and I went to Paris for a vacation last May 2012, and stayed in Tryp Paris Francois Hotel. They allowed us to check-in 2 hours early of the check-in time, since a room was available. It was a blessing because we were tired from the trip. The hotel was clean, on a good location ( a hop-skip away from Grand Boulevards METRO station), and walking distance to the Louvre. Lots of restaurants and bars/cafes surround the hotel, its in the middle of a busy neighborhood. The staff was very helpful, and friendly.. some names I can remember: Fabian, Vanzon, and Pagina. On our departure day, our airport shuttle was late, the hotel staff contacted them on our behalf, to sort things out. The room was small- typical euro hotel, and the A/C doesnt cool well. At night specially during fridays, you might hear noise from the bars outside. Overall its a great hotel, and I would recommend it to others. We would stay there again if we re-visit Paris.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Guest Experience MHI Hotels France at TRYP Paris Opera Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear Kapatid,

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know your feedback from your recent stay at TRYP François.
I was so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and you appreciated the friendliness of our staff.

On your next visit to Paris I do hope that you will return to stay with us.

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Good: right @ Metro stop; renovated; updated bath and room. Bad: no A/C (seems common complaint) for 2 nights and room was HOT, even when it cooled off outside. Room was very small with little room to move; ditto bath, but typical for Paris hotels -- 2 people in the room might find moving around difficult. Staff generally friendly and try to be helpful; some do not speak English, however. Elevators are tiny -- "giganto-Americans" would find this problemmatic. Breakfast not cheap, but good and right downstairs. Good location; easy to get around and lots of cafes around. Warning: there's an Irish pub on the ground floor, so rooms above will be noisy; ditto for those facing the street (which is busy). My stay would have been good except for the A/C issue (which first they said "we don't turn on A/C until summer" -- even though it was over 80; then it turned out there was mechnanical problem.)

Room Tip: Rooms on interior courtyard are quieter, but if you open windows/curtains, you have no privacy at al...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
guestexperienceparis, MHI Guest Experience at TRYP Paris Opera Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear DJDavid,

Thank you for choosing the TRYP PARIS François and taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I would like to thank you also for your kind comments with regards to ours staff.

I am really sorry to see of the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay concerning the air condition system. In fact, we had a technical problem these days, but now the system is working properly. Concerning the noise, we do apologize but as you pointed out , the TRYP PARIS François is very well located in the heart of Paris, we can understand that it seems a little noisy.

Once again thank you for your choice and your review and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.