“Great hotel!”

Ranked #615 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Toronto, Canada
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

This hotel was very nice. The rooms are small, although that's very typical for Europe, but very clean and modern. They also give you full-size bath towels instead of the band-aid sized ones you get at every other hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The entrance to the metro is literally right outside the door, and it's on 2 metro lines so it's very easy to get anywhere in Paris. It is also in a great neighbourhood (Opera) with lots of restaurants and cafés. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Eden, Utah
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed at the Tryp in June and after reading all the reviews we were ready for the bar noise but thought it would be dampened by the "new windows". We paid for the premium room and were put in a second floor room close to the bar. The noise increased through out the night and the cigarette smoke was horrible. I asked to be moved and since I had a premium room to start, we were placed in the center overlooking a small courtyard. Quiet and peaceful.

The hotel is located in front of a metro station which was very convenient and right next to a Virgin Record shop where you can buy your Louvre pass to avoid the line at the museum. There is a small grocery store near by as well. Great location if you don't need to be in the heart of Paris.

The desk personnel was extremely helpful. They sold us a bottle of wine one night and provided ice and glasses when the bar area was closed. The night clerk informed the morning clerk of our situation with transportation to the airport during a strike and was able to accommodate us at a very early hour.

Room Tip: Ask for a center room away from the street.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Centennial, CO
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My husband booked a surprise trip to Paris this March for us to celebrate our 30th anniversary. The trip was a package deal and, although he had been to Paris once before and was familiar with the Opera district and Montmarte, he was not familiar with this hotel. But we got very lucky. The hotel was very nice, very clean (quite important to me!), and the location was perfect. We rode the RoissyBus from the airport (and had to walk a few blocks), but for other travel, there is a Metro stop right in front of the hotel. Also it is within easy walking distance to many sites including Sacre Coeur and the Louvre.

Of course, we didn't spend a lot of time at the hotel (why would we? -- we were in Paris!!), but every encounter we had with the front desk and staff was quite pleasant. I was especially impressed by one young lady at the front desk who, when we asked where we could buy a souvenir rugby shirt for our son, knew exactly where to send us. Since that particular store was nowhere near the hotel, it told me she really knew the whole city.

The hotel offers a breakfast buffet at an additional charge. Although it seemed rather pricey (even with their "club membership" discount), it really turned out to be perfect for travelers who just wanted to get on their way each morning. The menu was varied, plentiful and very tasty. For all that they offered, I guess it was a pretty good deal. And convenient.

You should also know that the elevator in the hotel is the smallest elevator I've ever seen. Taking the steps is much easier.

Other reviews have mentioned the crepe cart in front of the hotel, and I'd like to give that place my 5 star rating, too. They have very good crepes and panini!

Also, very close to the hotel in the Passage des Panoramas is a small restaurant named Bar des Varietes. We had the most wonderful boeuf bourgignon and chocolate desserts there! In fact, we ate there two nights, it was so good. Cash only though, so be prepared.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Westford, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights on the front end of a business trip stealing away for a 3 day weekend in Paris. I picked the Tryp as it was in a part of the city I wanted to explore and the price was reasonable. The room was small but perfectly serviceable and quiet in the evening (except for the distant, faint thump, thump, thump of a disco I heard in the middle of Saturday night) The breakfast was very good. The front desk manager was very efficient and helped us with dinner reservations. They only offered a private limo pickup for CDG transfer, the Hotel Des Mines (2 star) offers a shared van for a third of the taxi cost (with several pickups to boot) WiFi should be free in all hotels by now, disappointing it was not here. Would we go back? Too many hotels in Paris to sample to return to the Tyrp Francois.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This hotel was great value. 15 min walk to Opera and then to the Louvre, Tullieries and Madeleine. Perfect for us as we were shopping. Lots of reasonably priced restaurants in area, a walk to the Palais Royale for exclusive boutiques and beautiful gardens to lounge in! Hotel staff extremely friendly and welcoming, with recommendations and advice. Room an Ok size, clean and tidy. Bathroom clean, some repairs need to be made but was bearable.

Metro station right outside the hotel and over the road you can pick up the L'Open Tour bus - yellow route.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to people wanting to stay in central Paris on a budget. I will return for sure!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in May of 09 for our 10th anniversary. We stayed for over a week, and had a great experience. We worried a little about staying in a "French" hotel (versus an American-owned chain), but we are so glad we stayed here. As most reviewers state - it is just a step out the door to the metro stop, so it's incredibly convenient. There was a great greek crepe place right down one of the closest streets - open late too. Although there was a fair amount of noise when outside the hotel, we didn't hear anything in our rooms. Air conditioning worked fine, the room was a good size, particularly for Paris from what I understand. The front desk staff was incredibly friendly as were most of those in the service industry there. Parisians are unfairly maligned in the U.S. - my husband wasn't really looking forward to the trip and now he's begging to go back! Although we always like to try new things, we'd be hard pressed to stay somewhere else because of the pleasant experience we had at the Tryp!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, UK
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I stayed here for one night on business and found there were good bits and not-so-good bits.
Pros - excellent location, very friendly and helpful staff, nice and clean rooms, good breakfast options, decent sized TV, minibar, internet.
Cons - my room was tiny, internet is not free, but the biggest con for me was the fact that I ordered from the room service menu (which as another con is pretty limited) at 8pm and by 9.30pm it had still not arrived, despite several calls from me to Reception, who repeatedly assured me it was on its way.
At 9.30pm I physically went to Reception and asked them to cancel the order, which they agreed they would, however the order eventually turned up at 9.40pm and they gave it to me at no charge - pro!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business