“Clean but small”

Libertel Austerlitz Jardin des Plantes
Ranked #776 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and was not unsatisfied at all with the hotel.
I would not come back though, as the rooms are so small, that you didn't had room for anything than sleeping.
I could use a closet for my clothes as well, as I don't like that my suitcase takes space for a room that is to small to begin with.
The staff speaks very little english

There are newer reviews for Libertel Austerlitz Jardin des Plantes

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We selected this hotel for the close proximity to the train station which is directly across the street. The hotel was initially a bit difficult to locate as it is in a block of many stores and sandwiched between the storefronts. The homeless people out on the street and all around the hotel was somewhat off- putting and left us with some unease, but they were quiet and did not harrass or bother us in any way. The front desk staff were very accomodating and happy to assist us in English. We were granted our request at check-in for a family size room, which was large and comfortable. It had a Queen size bed and a roll away twin size cot with a very thick mattress for our 20 year old daughter. The bathroom was modern and spacious. There was a little water run off that escaped under the glass shower door, but it was easily remedied with a bath towel placed on the floor. Also, entering and exiting the shower could be challenging for someone with limited physical abillity. It was a hefty step up / down to get in and out. The room was clean and our beds were made each day. Nice touches in the room included robe and slippers, bottled water and chocolates when we arrived; and a decent flat screen TV with a few English stations. Our room faced the front - a very busy main road and trains running along the elevated rail. We were on a higher floor, so noise was not an issue. It was nice to open the windows and hear the street sounds in the mornings. But at night with windows closed, the sounds were muffled and seemed faraway. The breakfast was plentiful at an additional 12 Euro. People were taking seconds. It included hot beverages, juices, cheeses, ham, croissants & breads, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, hard boiled eggs. We felt it was worth the money and wait staff was pleasant & accomodating. We used the shuttle to get to the airport and this was really worth it. Sorry, can't recall the price, but needed to pay in cash. We were tired at the end of our trip and just did not have the energy to deal with our luggage on the subway again. We got door to door service and the driver was pleasant and got us to the terminal in plenty of time. Hotel allowed easy access to the Metro, close to Left Bank, River Seine, lovely gardens, and a zoo/museum which we did not visit. Supermarket nearby, eateries and a McDonald's. It was a bit far from the main tourist sights of Paris, but this allowed us more time to experience the subway system and the day to day life in Paris culture.

Room Tip: Ask for family size room is larger. Rear of hotel will be quieter or a room on higher floor will de...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Regina M
Reviewed January 26, 2014

The room was tiny, but as we didn't plan to spend much time in our hotel room, it was ok. It was very clean and incredibly quiet, not what we expected so close to a busy road. 150 metres to the metro station, which was fantastic. Front desk staff very helpful but the side steps up, which by-passed the front desk meant that security, especially to the first floor was a bit of a concern, although proved not to be an issue. The toilet in our roomcfreaked badly every time you sat down, we did worry about it falling off the wall!

Room Tip: Request higher than first floor because of security concern and rooms facing off the street side are...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The Libertel Austerlitz Hotel in Paris was a pleasant stay. I do have one complaint - The shower door (in room 311), apart fro being small, did not seal properly and therefor after a shower,our floor was always wet - very wet and in winter, it's not nice. Management is aware of the problem. Then the next morning the nice breakfast made up for it again.

The room we had was small with not much space for anything else. The big bed was terrific and we always had a good sleep.

The location is great. The Metro, RER and other lines are just around the corner, the "hop on hop off" stop is also around the corner. There are also a few very nice places to grab something to eat.

If you are on a tight budget but want a nice, quiet, clean and well located place to stay, the Austerlitz is a good call. It is also a safe area with a major police station just up the streets. The street-people don't bother you at all.

Room Tip: Don't take room 311 and always ask for a room at the back away from the street.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have just stayed here for two nights, I chose the hotel based on it's location as it is just across the road from Gare D'Austerlitz. I chose a "cosy" room as I was travelling alone and needless to say it was small, however it was spotlessly clean and very comfortable, because I was at the back of the hotel it was also very quiet. The shower cubicle was tiny and would not be suitable for anyone too large, however I assume in that case you wouldn't choose a small room!
There was a modern flat screen TV with a lot of channels, plus plenty of tea, coffee, a couple of chocolates and a bottle of water.
Breakfast was extra, there was a reasonable choice of food and drinks, the breakfast room was quite small. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.
My only complaint would be that I came back at nearly 6pm after a tiring day hoping to get changed and relax for a while, but the cleaner was only just going into my room to clean it. As the room was so small I had to go back out and leave him to it, as there wasn't space for me to stay in the room. When I went back into the room he had left a filthy towel (not one that I had used!) hanging over the end of my bed.
Having said that, I would still be happy to stay at this hotel again and recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank gillden
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed a night in this hotel and it was clean and conveniently located near Gare d'Austerlitz metro station. It's about a 5 minute walk.

The room size is rather small compared to photo's from its website. However, its seems comparable to other twin share rooms I've stayed in Paris previously. The room we had, had air condition which was a nice addition as the room got quite warm during the evenings. An option was to open the windows, but it became difficult to sleep with the street noise, so they needed to be closed.

The bathroom looked like it was recently renovated. Everything worked well. Nice hot and cold running water with good pressure for the shower.

The hotel staff were friendly and helpful with questions and if your hungry after some long travels, there are a few restaurants literally just outside the hotel to choose from.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dookie9
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed one night having arrived in Paris that day and needing to catch a very early train to Brive the next morning. The location was perfect. Right across the street from Gare Austerlitz. The room was modern and clean. The front desk person wasn't particularly friendly but that's my only complaint. We enjoyed a lovely walk through the Jardin des Plantes. There were many restaurants nearby but we walked about 20 minutes to Rue Mouffetard where there were even better choices. I would not recommend this as your destination in Paris but it was fine for one night.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple