“Inadequate rooms”

Best Western Le Nouvel Orleans Montparnasse
Ranked #594 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I booked the hotel for myself and two friends for a 50th, 40th and 49th birthday celebration. I informed the hotel that it was for a special weekend and thought they could have done something thoughtful like put a bottle of wine in the room but they didn't acknowledge it at all. The room was classed as a suite and could have slept 4 people with two singles and a double sofa bed. It was sold as two rooms however the double twin room didn't have any wardrobe space and the wardrobe in the 'double' room was a single and totally inadequate for 3 people to hang clothes for 4 days. As the sofa bed was made up you had to squeeze past the bed and wardrobe to go to the shower room which resulted in a few bruises! The toilet was in the double room so if one of the guests needed the toilet during the night they had to wake up whoever was sleeping in the room.
I would not recommend the hotel for more than two people and there are much better hotels to choose from.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Rosequeen1

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We spent the beginning of a cold spring for 6 nights in Paris at this hotel. We were amazed by the strategic location it is at, you can get on Metro lines 4 and 6 and on RER B from the 4-minute walk Denfert-Rochereau station, it was a blessing to be so close to such a centric station, and even if you want to ride buses instead of the metro, you'll find you can go to many places by just hopping onto the 38 bus.

We were able to book a good deal online and even with the cheap deal we got a nice quiet room. On the egress plans I was able to notice our room was a bit bigger than the rest of the rooms on the floor, and though the view from our window wasn't so great, it was on the quiet side, meaning we didn't hear any street noises from the main road that the hotel is located at. So make sure you check out the egress plan and see if you can get a room on the non-street side.

I was provided with a minibar refrigerator and a safe (which wouldn't fit my 13" laptop by the way).

Finally, we experienced good and clean service, and the staff was very gentle when compared to french average. The only downside, which France Telecom is mostly to blame, was that the hotel's internet services were down for more than a day, and the staff would limit themselves to say that France Telecom was to blame and there's nothing they could do. It would had made me more comfortable to know they were at least in touch with France Telecom and looking into it. I guess they were too honest.

Overall I highly recommend this hotel. It's centric, located on a nice road, and like others have mentioned you have access to grocery stores and a nice street market and many cafes/

Room Tip: Don't include breakfast in your booking, it's too expensive when compared to what you can ge...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
NouvelOrleans, Gérant at Best Western Le Nouvel Orleans Montparnasse, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Three of us booked a room for three nights. It was very affordable with comfy warm beds. There are many restaurants and shops right outside the hotel door including the perfect local bakery out the door to the right and down the side street on the right. We had breakfast on the go every morning from there. The staff was very kind and I was glad it had a "French feel" even though it was a Best Western. My well travel friend who accompanied us was impressed with the hotel. We were able to open our windows and put the champagne on the small balcony during a freak March snow storm.

Room Tip: The bathroom with a full tub is probably larger than the one with just a shower.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I booked for one person and was surprised to get a single bed (90 cm) in a corner of tiny room....
got the aircon facing me so had to switch it off. definitively avoid the single bed.....
was terrible.
we also got a electricity shutdown during 15 mn at night

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank ericbengo
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed three nights in this nice hotel in a good neighborhood of Paris. It is well-connected by metro and train, since a metro-station in front and a train-station just around the corner. There are numerous of good restaurants around, so no need to drive every evening to the tourist areas of Paris.
The rooms are well-equipped and not so small (for Paris-terms). The breakfast is good, but probably on the street you can find better prices for same value.
Nevertheless, this hotel is definitely one of the better ones I ever stayed in Paris. Try it yourself.

Room Tip: ask for the triple room.... it is really spacious and still affordable for Paris
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank SlowTrippery
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Rooms and stairs (and bathroom) are small as everything Parisian. However, this hotel is very well located, easy to reach via RER-B or Orly bus, metro just in front, rue Daguerre and its restaurants are very close. Staff is nice. Breakfast way too expensive - have breakfast somewhere else nearby. Recommended, good value.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Pasquale P
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We have just stayed in this hotel for two nights on a short break to Paris. We seem to spend our lives searching for a reasonably priced hotel worthy of its star rating in this city and it appears to be almost impossible. Also we like to stay in this area which is close to our favourite restaurants and there is a good selection of shops on the doorstep. However, Le Nouvel Orleans was a step up from our last choice. It is conveniently situated just across the street from Mouton Duvernet metro station, which is good if you arrive from the Gard du Nord as a single metro train will take you all the way without having to change, always a plus with baggage.
The check-in was fast and efficient and the trip up the room in a tiny, antiquated lift, just about enough room for two and a small carry on bag! I couldn't use the spiral staircase as the narrow treads coupled with the striped carpet, played havoc with my varifocals. We had a room on the fourth floor looking out over a side street rather than the busy Av de General Leclerc. Street noise all night long is always an issue in Paris so this was very welcome. The room was small, the bathroom as well. However, the bed was comfortable but the pillows and duvet made from a synthetic fibre which I really don't like. They say there is soundproofing but during the night I could hear noise from either the adjoining room or upstairs, but not too much. The heating was sufficient and we were able to regulate the temperature ourselves. We don't like to be too warm during the night. We even opened the window for a while to let in some air.
There was a good selection of toiletries supplied in the bathroom and the towels white and fluffy. The shower was tiny, so small that every time I turned in it I hit the controls and turned the jet of water off but there was plenty of hot water when it was running.
Breakfast, I thought, was a tad expensive at 13 euros but there was a fair choice, three different juices, a good choice of hot drinks and a selection of cold meats, cheese, cereal, yogurt and breads and pastries and my favourite Bonne Maman preserves. I did think they could have refilled the bread and pastry selection more frequently as when there were a lot of people the trays emptied very quickly and weren't refilled during the time it took to eat breakfast. If we had preferred there were lots of bars and cafes in the area where we could have had breakfast. I actually prefer to eat at the hotel as it is part of the total experience and in this case we didn't have to go out into the arctic temperatures!
Check out was also easy, check out being up to midday which is quite late for Paris. It meant we didn't have to trail our bag around with us all morning before returning home and the price was just what we had expected to pay. All in all, I think I would stay here again. It would come towards the bottom of its 3* rating but it was adequate and if you aren't looking for those special little touches it will fit the bill.Another plus was that there were plenty of French people staying there, a sure sign that is not a tourist trap.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple