“I wish I loved it better --”

Hotel Kleber Champs-Elysees Tour Eiffel Paris
Ranked #651 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersGold level
USA/UK
“I wish I loved it better --”
Reviewed March 13, 2007

The Hotel Kleber is incredibly convenient to the famous Champs-Elysées (which, frankly, is losing some of the magic, when we were there, the trees were not lit at night, a shame.)

But I digress, back to the ROOM. EVALUATION OF ROOM FIRST, Don't be fooled by the grand description of the words "Executive" and
"Jacuzzi" as listed on their website. While there was a tub with jets attached, I would hardly call it a Jacuzzi in the truest sense. Forget bringing your beloved for a romantic bubble bath for two unless you don't mind going one at a time!

The bathtub in our room was not very appealing and the jets were coated in grime. Obviously, the houskeeping staff never put in elbow grease, as you can see from the photos (even though they are grainy.)

Another completely odd feature of the bathroom was the complete lacking a shower curtain or rail, so when showering, all the water just poured onto the floor, which was mildly disconcerting as the space was not really set out as a wet room... if you weren't careful, you could 'break your neck" on the shower water, but really, that wouldn't have happened because, the bathroom was so small, you would have knocked yourself out cold on the wash basin on the way down.

And how small was the room? Let's say, that if you had ordered a pizza, you would have to climb over the bed to unlock the door and the pizza person would have to sidle into the room sideways like we did upon entry. The door opened directly onto the bed. I did not like this one bit. I kept wanting to turn the bed 90 degrees counter clockwise to give the illusion of more space as that would have been all that there was, an illusion.

Noisy Hallways and you could hear the folks who were staying for a conference getting ready for their meetings at 5:30 am as they clomped in high heels or wingtips, it was so loud and echo-y that I thought in my sleepened haze, that I had left our door open. Nevermind, I could have just nudged it with my elbow to shut it while still in bed.

The balcony, ok, well, the big window with some space outside of it, led to a view of a claustrophobic inner courtyard that could be described as a tube or funnel like effect. It was particularly useful for checking the weather as you could look up and see a A4 sized sky to gauge the day by.... useful.

THE POSITIVES: Uh, internet access, we think, we could never discover where this was hiding as there was no information in your room to guide you to area interests or features of the hotel.

The biggest biggest plus was the proximity to the Champs and the relative price. I think you could do better though.

THE STAFF
Nice enough but they did not stand out at all as caring or interested
in the fact that you chose them over anybody else. As a matter of fact, those who worked in the boulangeries, were much friendlier and I only had to pay them the price of a baguette for a smile and a bonjour!

SAFE NEIGHBORHOOD
Very very close to all the tourist spots but with some breathing room from the hustle and bustle. Also within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower. The photo I took was a view between streets two blocks away. A five minute walk and you are there at the famous landmark itself.

As this was a honeymoon stay, i was quite disappointed. I have stayed in every type of hotel, resort, b&b and youth hostel so I think I know a little about what a facility should offer from penny pinching to pretension. This place slightly masquerades itself as something more than what it really is. I would deem it perfect for s a business traveler or traveler on a two day stint. Anymore than two days NOT recommended.

Would I stay again? Only if i saw and personally chose the room before checking in, and then only if i hadn't the time to explore other options.

BTW skip the overpriced breakfast. You can get much better at any corner boulangerie.

Stayed November 2006
9 Thank P-Hopper
Hotelkleber P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Kleber Champs-Elysees Tour Eiffel Paris, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear client, thank you for sharing your experience. We took care of your comment, & therefore your hotel did a lot of refurbishing between 2008-2013. Paris is located on limestones quarries. The housekeeping staff did not handle seriously this problem at that time. Therefore a new housekeeping service was set up with a better training against limestones. The bathtub of your room has now a shower screen also. We do have rooms with regular whirlpool bathtubs & others with larger sized corner's jacuzzi bathtubs. After refurbishing, the bed has now a different location, & your door opens wide. Your hotel is also more quiet than before (new soudproofed windows and so on). We have added flowers on the balcony of your room & the view looks nicer. We do have rooms on the street side also. A guest book is in your room now for the wifi information. Front desk also gives the free internet wifi information to all our guest. Our new staff members have a better training for a better welcome to our guest. Regarding the breakfast open from 7.30am untill midday, our formula Express Breakfast is 7 € per person taxes and service included which gives only €14 (= 2x7 €) including two people: coffee, tea or hot chocolate, fruit juice, bread & cereal brown bread and croissant baked ont the spot. Express breakfast is in the "Bar lounge" area. The full buffet breakfast is € 14 per person. It is available from 7.30am to 10.30am every day in the buffet breakfast room. A suggested description below is available. Please note if you come later then the buffet can be freed - or after the passage of a group of rooms some items may be missing time cooking new pastries, bread, croissant, petits pains au chocolat, petits pains au raisins, coffee, tea or chocolate / milk will, fruit juice will, variety of fresh seasonal fruits will, fruit salad will, small Parisian breads will (small classic Parisian grain breads and rolls), butter, fruit jams at will, small croissants, real french cheese AOC (high quality) cutting at will, natural yoghurt (Danone brand) at will, fruit yoghurt at will, yogurt 0% lighter at will, cottage cheese will, stewed fruit will, prunes, dried apricots, chocolate spread Nutella, mini-chocolate buns at will , currant buns at will, unlimited cakes (pound cake) madeleines will (cakes), hot toast on request (the toaster is in the kitchen and not in free customer service for safety), hot omelette on request (minute preparation) please note we do not cook omelette in advance, cakes with chocolate & almonds (not on the menu but added free frequently), various biscuits, crepes (off menu but added free frequently) donuts (off menu but added free frequently) at will (off menu but added free), muffins (cake) at will (off menu but added free frequently). Your comment was precious to us & we did work on every details. We are glad you enjoyed the location, please come again & check our new decoration & design & service. Please come & check the new room design, & validate the great difference. Sincerely yours, your guest relations service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff,Wales
Reviewed September 22, 2006

The hotel is in a fantastic location, surrounded by bars and wonderful places to eat. The rooms are small and in need of an upgrade. I found the staff, or at least one chap I took to be the manager, to be fairly unpleasant - frequently blunt to the point of rudeness. He also attempted to charge us for breakfasts which were already included within the booking (a charge he cancelled with typical ill-grace). I was on a work related trip and my wife, who didn't have to leave the hotel as early I did, found that staff would routinely ignore the 'Do Not Disturb Sign', for no obvious reason...
I had a cheap deal on this hotel so I think I got what I paid for, but I wouldn't stay there again unless it were for a short business trip - indeed on return to Paris for a holiday a few months later I stayed elsewhere.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Surly staff
  • Stayed August 2004, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank Trushte
Hotelkleber P, Customer service relationship at Hotel Kleber Champs-Elysees Tour Eiffel Paris, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear client, we thank you for your comment. We apologize for the confusion, the manager do not work at the front desk. The manager is not a man also. We agree with you about the great location with lots of restaurants, cafes, brasseries, shops, museums & monuments (Eiffel Tower, Triumph Arch and so on....The reception made a little confusion looking for your booking & we are glad that he corrected it right away while checking in. We understand you booked for our most economic room & therefore cannot expect to get a suite or a deluxe room with jacuzzi with more space. When in a nice & upscale area the space has a higher cost. We do apologize for the inconvience that happened during your stay. Between 2005 & 2008 there was very important refurbishing in the building. Lots of rooms have increased in size, decor & design. We invite you for a new visit. You will then be able to validate all the very important improvals. We will be glad to show you few rooms between 2pm & 4pm -limited time visit- because your hotel is packed all year long. Looking forward to welcoming you again. Meanwhille, best regards. Your customer service relationship.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 29, 2006

I was really nervous about this place from previous reviews. However I was pleasantly surprised by the place. It was bigger than I thought it would be. The staff were nice. The location was amazing!

There were some small things that annoyed me though. The plumping was obviously old, no price list for the mini bar or other facilities. My room faced onto the street so during the weekdays it was noisy but that can’t really be helped.

Didn’t eat there because there was a nice place next door that served breakfast for €6.50 instead of €14 in the hotel. All in all not too bad, definitely not worth the prices they usually charge but if you can get it cheep go for it.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Arkenthell
Hotelkleber P, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Kleber Champs-Elysees Tour Eiffel Paris, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear client, thank you for your time & comment. Your comment was important to us because we did solve these points : Sometimes our guest book (including the pricelist) desappear from the rooms et we have to print a new one, which was the case of your room, we did also some refurbishing. The hotel area became totally residencial & very quiet : the street is only a one-way street instead of two-way street. Concerning the Express breakfast it cost 7€ per person tax & service included. You enjoyed the staff polite behavior, the location, the space of the place. Please come again visiting the new place & new design. Best regards, your guest relations service.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 26, 2006

A delightful 16th A. location, close to trains and walkable to great Paris sites. Staff was courteous and helpful: made restaurant reservations, printed maps, and collaborated with us in making our visit seamless. The hotel is small and charming: we had a king-sized bed and tiny sitting area, and a lovely bathroom, more than we usually get in Paris for the price. Make reservations early and you may find an internet bargain here. If you make your reservations with a web site and not directly through the hotel, reconfirm directly with the hotel before arrival. Given its small size, its best to be sure they are expecting you! And remember to lock your room with your key, it doesn't lock itself!! We'll stay here again.

2 Thank teezee
Dear client, thank you for your comment about your boutique hotel. You enjoyed the staff, the services, your king-size bed, the decoration & the location. We would be honoured to show you the new place on your next trip. Cordially.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 11, 2006

We stopped here for a couple of nights, room was small but very clean and quiet. Location great for Arc de Triomphe and 10 mins walk from Eiffel Tower. Area very quiet and relaxed, but we used the metro to travel to the more livelier places like the Latin quarter and St Michel.
Staff very friendly and helpful, overall a great place to stay for a short trip.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear client, thank you for your time writing your positive experience. You enjoyed the staff, the location, the housekeeping services & your quiet place. We would be glad to show you an even better place now after important refurbishings. Cordially.
Bournemouth, UK
Reviewed May 29, 2006

My husband and I recently stayed at the Kleber hotel for our 1st wedding anniversary.
We were slightly worried by a couple of bad reviews we had read on here since booking the holiday but were generally happy with our choice. The location is fab – really good walking distance from most tourist things. The hotel was quaint and our room was just ok. We had read there were Jacuzzi baths in some rooms but none available for us. Instead we were given a room with a “hydroshower”. Don’t be fooled by it’s fancy title, it’s just a shower with 3 variants of weak pressure. We also had to wait ages for hot water to come through the system which was very frustrating. We also had a problem with our safe but the friendly chap on reception was quick to help and resolved the issue promptly.
Most of the staff are friendly, except one man who was particularly unhelpful when we asked for advice on a good restaurant. He assumed we wanted to stick to the Champs Elysees area and told us that all restaurants would be full without a reservation. We decided to ignore his unhelpful advice and found 2 good restaurants for 2 evenings (without booking). L’Appart in Rue de Colisee was an excellent restaurant offering a wide range of contempary cuisine and really good service. The cafes around the Louvre area are also very good and worth dining in for an evening meal. Overall, Kleber hotel is good value for money for a central location.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank lottielock
Hotelkleber P, Customer service relationship at Hotel Kleber Champs-Elysees Tour Eiffel Paris, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear client, your comment is important to us. We followed your advice and ordered new hydro shower and recently we started to install another new hydro shower with LED technology chromatherapy & higher water pressure. when water is not use in the buliding then the pipes get cold which is possibily why you had to wait a little before it gets very hot. Our technician installed thereafter a special electric balloon with quick hot water access. All the restaurants Champs Elysées are nice. You can eat from 5 to 100€ per person. Some of them require reservation. Restaurant guides are available at the front desk or on internet. Your hotel or clients can book directly. It is a free service, no hotel charge applies. Feel free to mail for further information. Best regards. Customer relation service.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 3, 2006

Kleber Hotel Paris, Visitors from Northern Ireland May 2006

The hotel has a great location. Room was so small that the door only opened half way which caused a problem getting our luggage in. Bathroom was tiny. No coat-hangers in the wardrobe, asked at reception the night we arrived, nothing done about it. I asked the maid the following morning and she very quickly got us some. The rest of the reception staff were very friendly and helpful at all times. This is a great hotel for getting around Paris as you are close to the metro. Great little cafes and restaurants close by. I would return if only for the central location of the hotel, but I don't think it justifys its 3 star delux rating.

Stayed May 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear client, thanks to your comment we found out a solution concerning the door of your room. Now the door opens completely with the new decor. We would be glad to show you how nice it is now during your next stay. Coat-hangers were added into your wardrobe though sometimes few clients take it home....Extra hangers are available on request also. Check the new decor, draperies & design. Awaiting to welcome you again. Meanwhile, & in the meantime, best regards. Your customer service relationship.