“Room with a groan”
Review of Villa Pantheon

Villa Pantheon
Ranked #636 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Generally this hotel isnt too bad. However dont just accept your room allocated to you. As sure as eggs the vacant rooms will be close to the lifts. Request a room FAR AWAY from them. The little walk to them will be fine because you will have got some sleep.....otherwise you WILL be tired in the morning.We had a front room [ on the street] and some complain its too noisy. On our first stay we did not notice that. Our second time however did not start very well at all. We accepted our room and after "moving in" we could not help but laugh at the incessant noise of the lifts. We immediately went down to ask for another room. We could not be accommodated that night. On the second night we were moved but there were no real apology or :sweeteners " offered.
All up you could do a lot worse. Just avoid the lifts.

Room Tip: ASK the location of your room BEFORE you book it. The lifts are very slow, very old. That old that t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yneverknow

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I booked this hotel for my boyfriend and I for 4 nights in February, despite the amount of bad reviews, as I have been to Paris, and most major cities, enough to know that without paying an extortionate amount you are simply not going to get a large room! I have stayed in quite a few hotels around Paris and know what to expect given location and pricing, however with the parents usually footing the bill I had to be a bit more economic this time!

The hotel itself is situated a 3 minute walk from the train station which brought us from the airport. It is literally in the heart of Paris, just shy of the river enough to ensure slightly cheaper breakfasts and sandwiches for the walk to the heart of the tourist attractions. The metro is also just around the corner.

We found the hotel easily, and the staff were so wonderful and helpful. I am truly terrible at the language however they all spoke English. Our details were taken quickly, with none of the 'pre-pay deposit' nonsense that some hotels charge (as a 25 year old I certainly do not have a spare £50 to be held in my account!) and we were shown to our room, which was impeccable. The bed was not the comfiest however that is all I can fault and even then its not an issue, there was plenty space to unpack even with two large suitcases, and lots of spare pillows and blankets. The room was cleaned daily with all our items flung on the chair neatly folded away, and all towels and toiletries refreshed. The only plug had the TV in it but I don't think we even turned the TV on the whole time so this wasn't an issue for charging phones.

We did not have the hotel breakfast, as it worked out cheaper to go explore the city and have breakfast on the way, however on the first morning when I went to enquire about wifi (free) and made a joke about it being too early for me to understand how to use it to the concierge, he went and made me a fresh espresso while I tried to connect it in the lobby and gave me one to take upstairs to my boyfriend. On our last night when arriving back another recommended a small bar around the corner which stays open a little later than the rest, everyone seemed very knowledgeable about the area.

For me, a hotel does not make the trip, especially in Paris where there is so much to see and do, however a clean, friendly and most importantly, safe, place to base yourself is of utmost importance and why I did search for a 4* hotel as opposed to less. Villa Pantheon ticked all these boxes for me and not only would I recommend to anyone, I would go back in an instant.

Room Tip: I noticed some reviews mentioned the lifts however I was just around the corner from them and experi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MY1001
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We originally booked a Eurostar deal for two at the Villa Montparnasse Hotel, but were sent by them to Villa Pantheon due to problems with our room.

The Hotel itself is in the Latin Quarter quite near to the Pantheon, and walking distance to the River Seine, Notre Dame and many other places. One of the main advantages is the proximity to stations on the Metro (Maubert Mutualite), and the RER mainline (Notre Dame/St.Michel) easy to get to places and back after a long and tiring day out sight-seeing. The front office staff were helpful, and spoke good English.

Our reservation did not include breakfast which was 15 Euros per person. I tried the breakfast on the first day, but did not enjoy it as everything was cold. The next day I had breakfast in the restaurant round the corner.

The Room we originally booked at Villa Montparnasse was a superior; which we were told would be upgraded for the inconvenience. But I did not bother checking.

The Room at the Villa Pantheon we stayed in I assume, was a superior or higher on the first floor facing the courtyard, was decorated in Dark colours with nice solid wood furniture and wooden floor. Unfortunately a wall of the room backed on to the elevator shaft, which made a noise like a lion grumbling throughout the day and night. Not sure if it were the housekeeping staff cleaning the room on top of us every morning or if guests checking out, but the noise from upstairs did wake us up pretty early..

The beds though not uncomfortable were pretty hard and the pillows narrow and flat. What I found a bit odd was: 2 single mattresses pushed together with one cover in a double room rather than a double mattress. This meant a seam & dip in the middle. There was a minibar / fridge and a safe but unfortunately no tea / coffee making equipment.

The Bathrooms though clean were small. we noticed that one of the three bulbs in the bathroom fused after we checked in; we let reception know. The chap from reception came upstairs, had a look and assured us that someone would fix it, but in the 3 days we stayed there nobody did and one more of the bulbs fused on the second day making the bathroom pretty dark on the last day.

The Hotel has Wifi, the key can be obtained by registering at reception.

Overall an ok stay. Next time I won’t pay a premium for the 4 star tag, and book somewhere cheaper in Zone 3 of Paris metro/RER.

Room Tip: Avoid a room near the lifts I guess its the ones which end with 1 (101, 201, 301, 401...)
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

After reading the negative reviews i wonder if we stayed in a different hotel! The "grey haired old man" could have not been more helpful. His staff is trained to be great and that they were. Being newbies to Paris they gave us the most amazing tips for where to dine. We came at 8:30AM checked our luggage and came back at 2:30PM and was shown a room on the 4th floor. Yes, it was smallish but this is Paris. It was a bit of a dance with two suitcases in the room but the wonder of it all being in Paris is what we came for more than made up for a few minor issues. The breakfast, "petit" dejeuner, was part of the room charge and was excellent. It was a small buffet style breakfast which is fine. To load up and then walk about is counterproductive; more room for a fabulous lunch somewhere along the line The lady serving could not do enough for us. We left to tour the Loire Valley area for a few days and returned to a room that was on the 6th floor. It was smaller but the view of the Paris skyline was a knockout! Both rooms were cleaned and done up each day by a charming person that left them just so. It was cool in Paris so the heating worked but I have no idea about the A/C during the summer season. I would return in a heartbeat. It is very central for walking about and taking it all in.

Room Tip: Top floor room with street view is so nice.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2013

OK The room was a little bit on the dark side due to the decoration, but that is the case with many Parisian hotel rooms. Our little balcony made more than up for it and the bathroom was well appointed. Breakfasts were excellent and the waiter delightful. Staff at reception were helpful and full of good tips, like getting a 63 bus across the road to go all the way to the Palais de Tokyo. A good way to see the sights for the price of one ticket! Needed some dry cleaning done, no problem. The hotel is so well placed for the Blvd St Michel, St Germain, bookshops, restaurants, cafes and wonderful bus services just down the road to make the most of your Paris stay.All in all a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We chose this hotel, for the location…we like to walk as much as possible, and it has a great location...but when you don't get to have a good rest, everything else fall apart.
The overall of this hotel, may look like a pintoresque one, but there's all there is.
When we arrive our room was not available, so we were offer and upgrade with a balcony in the next hour, they took our luggage and went for a walk…two hours later our room was not ready.
When it was, we were happy that got that "upgrade" cause if this one was so small, didn't want to think how the original was! For a double room having two suitcases was a problem.
The cleanliness standard was far from ours. And we are not picky, we travel on budget so we can take simple, but please sweep a broom every once in a while!.
The bed was hard, pillows horrible, and bedding better to forget.
It seems like once this was an old hotel with character, but never maintained…so run down, the power sockets fall off the wall, and there was no one near the mirror…since there was no power socket on the bathroom, it is appreciative to have available on the room. My boyfriend move the mirror so I could use my straightening iron…and beneath it found a disgusting amount of dirt…if you use fabric for wallpaper, YOU MUST KEEP IT CLEAN.
The bath had mold, the shower head was broken.
The keys are like in the old days, cute but every time we got back, found our door without lock…so apart from straight the bedding, and leave new towels, the maid service should not be that busy or tired to remember to lock your door, right?
I cannot believe how harsh I sound, but is the truth.
At night they are understaff, the guy who bar tends has to do everything, had the best actitude, and was the only one at this hotel, helpful and polite, but they shouldn't make him run back and forth all the time, to pick up the phone, attend at the bar, give you the key to your room!
Don't op for the breakfast it's over priced…The area is full of everything you may want or need for less than half the prices there.
But actually, do stay across the street, is the same chain but with acceptable standards.
Check out, was a 10 minute of being ignored by a gray haired man, so rude we cannot believe it.
And someone, please explain to me, how this hotel got that 4 stars??

Room Tip: Go to another hotel for a good room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank iamnib
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We requested a twin but when we got in the room it was 2 beds pushed together with one mattress cover so it was not an option to separate them.

The hotel room was on the ground floor next to the courtyard section. Because of this we couldn't draw the curtains of the window at all because people were walking past, there was no overhead lighting just lamps (apart from in the bathroom) so the room was very dark.

The bed was terrible, the mattress was as hard as the floor with one lumpy pillow there were no other pillows in the room. I woke up with neck ache back ache and generally aching all over. What also ruined our sleep was because our room back onto the elevator and it was SO NOISY every time it moved it made a low grumbling noise then a really loud sound like an elephant. The trouble was the elevator was in constant use which means we heard it through out the night, it woke me up multiple times as other guests were coming back late. Then the cleaner accidentally came in at 7am and woke us up because she did not know people were in the room!

Other than that the room seemed clean but there was a patch of mould and a crack above the shower and I am 5'6 and the shower was nonadjustable I had to bend down quite low to get under the shower head.

I would say the mattress and pillows being so uncomfortable seriously affected my 3 days in Paris because I felt so tired by the lack of sleep and my muscles were aching.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL