“Good location, average room”

Pavillon Louvre Rivoli
Ranked #1,187 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The hotel is extremely well-located - very clearly the main positive of the hotel. I had booked a twin room for one night (159 euros). When we arrived at 12pm, we were told that check-in was only at 2pm, and as the hotel was fully booked, there was no chance of an early check-in. We returned later in the afternoon, and were informed that there were no twin rooms available, but they would offer us two single rooms instead (for the same price). This seemed like a fair deal to us. The room on the 6th floor was small (but not smaller than most single rooms I have stayed in Paris, other large European cities). Furnishing was modest, but adequate - portable TV, plastic drinking glasses. Small,clean bathroom with a decent shower (no bath). Free Wi-Fi in the lobby, but does not work in the room. If like me, you do not plan to spend much time at the hotel, and require a good location, this hotel is adequate.

Room Tip: I stayed on the top floor (6th). Was very quiet, but no view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank vikramvasu
NOURINE F, Gérant at Pavillon Louvre Rivoli, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay at Pavillon Louvre Rivoli and our great location close to the city centre.

We look forward to welcome you again in the next future.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is a great location but the hotel is very lacking of the basics. There was mold in the shower. The room was small the bed took up most of the room. The only good thing was that I only slept here. The bed was old and bumpy and the fridge didn't work. But you can walk to Willi's wine bar and the louvre. And I was there during the previous post the lift or elevator didn't work for a day.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Terry L

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comment, and we regret that your stay did not go as you planned.

We regret not having been informed during your stay to meet your expectations,

We are happy to notice that you confirm that our hotel is in the right place, affordable and in the right location.

We consider your comments, and thanks to it we develop more of our quality services.

Pending receive you again while ensuring a better welcome and impeccable service.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Well, this hotel had a great location. That's about all I can be enthusiastic about. The bathroom ceiling was moldy. The toilet seat wouldn't stay up (thank goodness for bungee cords). Housekeeping didn't replace plastic drinking glasses or tissues for 5 days even though I requested it.The room was very small,but I suppose that's to be expected. Apparently,not much money has been invested in making this place more appealing for a long tiime.The only place to get Wi-Fi was in a very small lobby area that the night clerk was entertaining friends in. The elevator was old and scary,and finally broke down just prior to our departure. This wa a last minute "find", and now I understand why. Keep looking.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kevel

Reviewed July 19, 2012

My stay at the Pavillon Louvre Rivoli was the worst hotel experience I have ever had in Paris. I had chosen the hotel because of its very central location, and based on the pictures I saw on its website. I booked to stay for four nights, and since I was arriving very early in the morning I had booked for the night previous to when I was arriving so that I would not have to wait until 2 pm to check in. When I arrived, exhausted after a 20 hour trip, at 7 am, I was not greeted with a bonjour or any such nicety, but a very terse "You were booked for last night? You are late". I explained why I had booked early (very politely in English) and the response was (in a very weird French accent) "Do you speak English?"!!!!!! Duh???? I was not asked to sign in or register or anything, and I had to ask to do that. After which I said "my room, please". "Room 2" was the response. "Where is that", I asked. "Here" was the reply. "Here" being literally around the corner from the reception. I said you have to be kidding me, and I got this withering look with another very terse, "That's the last room we have". Thus started my four day nightmare.

The room was a hole in the wall, with old chipped plywood furniture, and smelly carpets, etc. etc. And since it was on the ground floor it overlooked the backyard sewers of the hotel. The worst you can imagine. Since I had paid for the four nights in advance and there was no refund, I had to make the best of what I had, so I nsisted that I wanted to change rooms. I was told very rudely that one room may become available that afternoon, but it would be just like this one. It will only be on a higher floor. I agreed to take it because at least I would not have to look out at sewers and gutters. And I spent three additional miserable nights on the third floor.

The hotel cost over 260 euros a night, claims to be three stars (it does not deserve even one star, and frankly needs to be condemned and torn down).The only saving grace was that it is
centrally located, a stone's throw from the Louvre, and the Opera Garnier. But be warned, avoid this hotel at all costs, and stay there at your own peril.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. Avoid this hotel, please!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Shahid Z

Reviewed February 21, 2012

The Pavillon Louvre Rivoli is a decent place to stay at a 1 star price, but not more. The location is VERY convenient being very close to the side entrance to the Louvre, a short walk from Opera Garnier (the OLD opera house), and just off the Palais Royale with its wonderful garden.

The area around the hotel is quiet, has several restaurants, cafes, a bakery across the street :),and eating options and some small stores with a larger grocery a short walk away. Metro stop "Palais Royal / Musee du Louvre", on the 1 line, is five minutes away. Westbound, the 1 line goes along the river in the this area, up the Champs Elysee and over to La Defense . Eastbound it goes to the Marais, Bastille and out to Chateau de Vincennes.

I have stayed in several other 1 star hotels in Paris just east of this one in the Marais. The Pavillon is just like them; small lobby, small elevator, small room. The room we had was a twin, two small beds, with a full bath. On the window side of the bed was about 1 meter clear, maybe the same at the foot of the beds and probably two meters on the door side as there is a small desk, very small "closet" with three hangers as that is all that would hang. It does have a small refrigerator which is a very positive feature in my opinion. Essentially, the room could be no smaller. The bath was small but more than adequate with a full tub with shower.

The room was quiet with a good (double paned, good condition, sealed well) window that included a small flower box with fake flowers just outside. The phone didn't work which was not apparent until my family tried to call. Had to go downstairs to use the front desk phone! There is free WiFi in the lobby. Breakfast was not included and we didn't eat there anyway as there are wonderful options close by.

Essentially, this is a one star hotel in a great location. If you pay a one star price for it, that is very fair, but, at a three star price, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank B8thoven
NOURINE F, Gérant at Pavillon Louvre Rivoli, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to receive your review that will helps us to improve the quality of service in order to give to all our guests the best reception.

like you, our guests appreciated the quiet location and the good spots close to our property.

Best regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2012

I would like to advise all, avoid this hotel at all cost. This is suppose to be a 3 star hotel, which should not be awarded at all. The begining of this nightmare started with the staff. Miserable, unhelpful and totally unprofessional. Having made it to our room or for a better word, closet. It was very small, dated and above all, dirty. The en suite was of the same standard, with the shower being a waste of time. No room service, no tea making facilities. However, the wake up call just finished this never again experience; the drilling into the wall every day at the same time of the early morning was soul destroying and when we asked for staff assistance. It was met with no response. Basically, if you want a room in an ok location and you do not have any standards, this place is for you.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rita A

Reviewed January 20, 2012

This hotel is about 1 block from two metro stations: Palais Royal and Pyramides. Situated 2 blocks from Louvre in the 1st arrondisement, this hotel is perfectly priced. The front desk staff speaks English so communication is not an issue. A cab station, where all cabs congregate waiting for a fare is 1 block away. For any Americans seeking a sense of home, a Starbucks is 2 blocks away as well. As mentioned on other reviews, the WiFi is sporadic and the elevator is very small as is the stairwell. Overall, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
NOURINE F, Gérant at Pavillon Louvre Rivoli, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2014

We thank you for spending time to write good comments about our hotel and we are pleased to hear that you have spent an excellent stay with us.

We confirm that the great location with the inner city of Paris, The Royal Palace “Louvre”, the Comedie Française” and the Opera is one the most convenient asset of our hotel.

We hope to welcome you in your next stay in Paris ensuring the high quality of our services you mentioned in your comment.

Best Regards