“My wife and I stayed three nights”

Hotel Elysees Union
Ranked #410 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Connecticut
“My wife and I stayed three nights”
Reviewed November 21, 2007

and we never regreted our choice. The staff is helpful and sympathetic and fluent in English and Spanish. One of the clerks is conversant in Arabic. The espresso coffee is heavenly. The staff makes special arrangements to accomodate older people. Yes! There is an elevator. The Hotel is within 5 blocks of the Tour Eiffel and the Arc de Triumph. There is a produce market next door and at least 6 restaurants within three blocks. There is a pharmacie: 2 blocks, a book store: three blocks. ATM: across the street. Popular tours offer Hotel pickup for minivan tours. There is a comfortable Lobby. Desire a ham and cheese omolet for breakfast? Visit their downstairs restaurant ! Room 11 is cozy and the window looks out on an inner courtyard. We had our own bathroom. My wife adds: the bed is comfortable, the water is hot and has good pressure, There is a color TV and everything is clean. There is a computer for rent and the Hotel advertises free WiFi.

• Liked — The helpful staff and the coffee
  • Disliked — Short menu in restaurant
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jakeandfran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Utah
Reviewed November 14, 2007

Paris was our first stop on our trip to Europe and it was so great to have a nice, comfortable hotel close to the main attractions in Paris (i.e. Eiffel tower and arc de triomphe) we could see the Eiffel tower from the front of the hotel! our metro station was about a 2 min. walk away. The rooms are smaller, just right for a couple, the nice shower was a favorite. The staff was SO nice, really helpful! They took care of all our luggage for us. Everything was really clean and nice, well taken care of. The lobby and waiting areas are really classy and there is a nice courtyard too. Perfect place to stay in Paris...

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — it was a little smaller than expected, but hey that is Europe!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kurtg19
West Lothian
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Elysees Union - Paris 9 November 07
We have just returned from our trip to Paris to celebrate my wifes 60th Birthday . Our party consisted of 6 people and we all enjoyed our 2 night stay at the Elysees Union where we found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean, some may say on the small side, but this was not a problem when you want to spend time exploring Paris. The local restuarants we found to be excellent and friendly and as the hotel is positioned between the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe you could not be better positioned for exploring Paris.
The Metro is just round the corner and is the best way to navigate around the city.
We will certainly return to Paris and would not hesitate to recommend staying at the Elysees Union.

• Liked — Location and Friendliness
  • Disliked — Nothing negative
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank livi1
Appleton WI
Reviewed November 3, 2007

Quite easy to find after I was dropped off by the Arc de Triumphe by the Air France shuttle (highly recommend this way to and from Charles De Gaulle airport.) Staff was very friendly and helpful. I was able to get a street facing room so I was able to watch the Eiffel Tower twinkle if I leaned out of my window - so cool!! As others have said - yes, room small, in need of new comforter, carpeting, elevator needs some work, etc, but the positives outweigh those cosmetic issues. The hotel seemed worn but clean and the bathroom was good size and the water pressure and warmth was great. The water might have tasted fine, but I just bought a few big bottles from the market next door, along with some oranges and yogurt that I kept in the mini bar. You should definitely check out the market to look at all the different stuff - fun. Eiffel Tower is a bit more of a hike than 15 minutes (and I walk fast) but it is worth it - for the postcard perfect scene of the tower from the Trocadero AND for the freshly made chocolate crepes - do not miss out on these! Strangely enough I had the best hot dog I have ever had from a cart across from the tower - placed in the most perfect 'baguette' - strange but true. The 10 Euro breakfast was ok, but not for the price in my opinion. I wasn't impressed with the restaurants nearby, so eat when you are out sightseeing. By the way if you go in the late fall or winter - be prepared - it is cold walking around (and I'm from Wisconsin!) Bring your gloves and scarf or better yet buy a few scarves when you are there. I especially liked the souvenir shops across the Seine from Notre Dame. Overall the hotel was in a very good, quiet, safe location at a very reasonable price - I would recommend it!

• Liked — staff, view, location, price
  • Disliked — carpeting, bedding
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank Patrice512
Morgan's Point Resort, Texas
Reviewed November 3, 2007

My daughter and I stayed for 5 nights. The room was really small, but it is Paris, so we expected that. The staff was wonderful and very helpful. The first morning we opted not to eat the breakfast, but after sampling the other options, the price at the hotel was grea. We were in Paris during the metro strike, so transportation was an adventure. But the location is so great, that with very little trouble, we could walk to most places.

• Liked — friendlyness of staff and location
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
West Mids
Reviewed November 1, 2007

Great location a short walk from Arc De Triomphe. Hotel small and typical midrange Paris townhouse hotel. Friendly staff very welcoming and helpful gladly accomodating my poor French.

Room reasonably well equipped and just about big enough for family of 3. Some decor in need of attention but nothing major.

No restaurant but plenty around. Breakfast not the greatest but perfectly adequate for 10euros.

• Liked — Great Location, friendly helpful staff
  • Disliked — Some maintenance required
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Abington, PA
Reviewed October 22, 2007

My wife and I picked this hotel, after a long search, for our 25th anniversary trip. I had our choices narrowed down to five hotels and sent each of them emails. I admit, this hotel was my second choice, but my first choice stopped replying while this hotel provided friendly and helpful responses. In retrospect, I'm glad they stopped responding because we were thrilled with this hotel and would stay there again. Here are the particular highlights:

The STAFF, especially the morning front desk staff, were very friendly. We arrived at the front desk just before 11, expecting to have to stow our luggage. We were thrilled to find our room was ready for us. All the staff met us with a smile and either "Bonjour" or "Bonsoir" each time we passed them. The evening before leaving, we were able to check our flights using the Internet computer for no fee.

The LOCATION was ideal. We chose to take the Air France bus from the airport. The route ends at the Arc de Triomphe and the hotel is a short walk down Rue Kleber. Once turning the corner, you see a beautiful view of the Eiffel Tower. We found it situated halfway between the Tower and the Arc, which proved to be an ideal location. We spent several days and evenings strolling the Champs Elysees or to the Trocadero/Tower, all within a few minutes. The only down side to the location is the distance to the Louvre and Notre Dame. We chose to walk, rather than take the Metro, and this proved to be quite a long walk.

Moving on to THE ROOM... As described, we found it on the smaller side. Remember, you're the foreigner and things will be different. The decor of the room was very nice. The wallpaper was pulling away from the wall in a few places, but very good condition overall.

The BATHROOM was the only feature that gets a bit of a mixed review. A big plus was the hair dryer that worked very well (more on this later). Overall, it was well lit, clean, and kept well stocked. Getting used to the shower was a bit challenging. The secret is to point the shower head so it's flowing into the back corner of tiles. Don't turn it on too fast or it will splatter and don't put it down or you'll have a shower. I did it once and found out that the hair dryer does an excellent job of drying clothes that have wet spots. Also, instead of lifting the drain plug, the rod on the sink pulled right out. A little Yankee ingenuity, a twist tie, and a rubber band fixed it.

In other reviews, guests mentioned the GROCERY STORE next door. Once you spend 2.50 euro for a can of Coke from a vendor, suddenly the 1 euro next to the hotel seems like a bargain. They stock a variety cold beverages and a selection of snack foods, along with groceries. Don't expect a supermarket, it's more like the corner stores from my youth. The clerk in the store was very nice as well. We were able to buy a few cans and put them in the room's mini-fridge.

Saving the best for last, THE VIEW!!! When I booked the reservation, I told them we had chosen them for our anniversary celebration. Without being asked, they said they would try to give us a room with a view of the Eiffel Tower. What a beautiful view! We had a straight on view of the Tower and could watch the sparkling lights from our balcony. I even stepped out at dawn the morning we left to get one last picture.

A little advice -- greet everyone with a smile and "Bonjour". You initiate friendliness and you'll get it in return. Things are more expensive, expect it. You might get overwhelmed by the language, at least I did, but you're here to experience something different. If it was the same as home, would you visit?

We had a fantastic time in Paris and this hotel played a big part in it.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — Some room features
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple