“So-So”

Hotel Prince Monceau
Ranked #1,689 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights. Reading the reviews we were not expecting luxury but having looked on the website thought the rooms looked ok. When we arrived we were put in a room on the third floor, which was a bit of a climb up the spiral staircase but would have been ok had the room been as we'd seen on the website. Yes it was a double bed but pushed up against the wall so it was difficult for one of us to get in and out of bed. We are both over 60 so it wasn't ideal but we could put up with it for 4 nights. When we saw the size of the shower room we were even more disappointed as it was tiny! You couldn't sit straight on the toilet as there was no leg room and you had to sit 'side saddle' with one foot in the shower tray! The shower head had seen better days but we managed to have a shower but was very cramped. The next day we asked if it was possible to change rooms as I did have some difficulty getting up the stairs as I have arthritis in my knees, the man on reception said he would see what he could do and when we returned he said we could have a room on the ground floor but a woman (manager?) interrupted and said we could have a room on the first floor instead. We didn't want to cause a fuss so just accepted. It turned out this room was the same size as the one we'd left with the same tiny shower room. This shower head fell off the wall the first time I had a shower, we mentioned this to the man on reception as we left to go out for the day and he said he would fix it. When we returned later he said he hadn't had time and could we just put up with it for our last night. Again not wanting to make a fuss we just did so. My husband managed to jam a piece of cardboard into the hole to hold the shower in. We enjoyed our short stay in Paris but it was slightly marred by the accomodation. There were also no tea/coffee facilities in the room, the room was too hot and we slept with the window open ( in January) I believe this room should only have been let as a single room which might be ok for one person staying a night or two . It seems they try to cram too many people into a small space. The location was fine, good bus service, either a 31 to L'arc de triomphe or a 53 to L'opera. Also handy for the station at Pont Cardinet.Good eating places near and also a supermarket.The staff spoke English and tried to be helpful but I got the impression that the staff were as 'tired' as the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed December 17, 2011

I've been to Prince Monceau during the summer and the thing I regret the most about it was the fact that it didn't had an A/C system. It was extremely hot in Paris, over 30ºC during the whole day.

When I opened the door of my room it was a real mess, I had to call the manager and wait for another half an hour until they cleaned it.

The breakfast is a little poor, basically some croissants and a pretty acid orange juice.

Now the 2 pros: pretty friendly staff and the location (less than 1 km away from several subway stations).

I must say that overall the price is fair and if you are looking to spend the whole day out of the hotel (like I did) you might consider this one. Now, if you got just a little bit more money or if you are travelling with your spouse, please find some better place, you will find it. Easily!

One more thing: the hotel does NOT have an elevator, but you won't find any in the major attractions in Paris, so it's a good way to start getting use to it.

Room Tip: No elevators, if you are lazy get a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank vhsBarret

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

USA
Reviewed October 10, 2011

The hotel room isn't noise protection. You can hear people climb up/down the stairs. There were people returned to their rooms after mid-night and you were awake by their loud noise. The owner isn't nice. They charged the rates different than what they promised. They will also charge you for making free phone calls (1-800 calls).

I would recommend find a place some where else instead of this one.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank User U
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2011

As the title says.
Started with them not being able to find our booking, then being dumped in a unfinished room with tacky, damaged furniture w/out as much as a 'enjoy your stay'. The aircon didn't work and the window opened onto a tiny courtyard surrounded by 4 storey walls so the room was sweltering. Opening the window meant the room opposite looked straight onto the bed. The bed linen was dirty.
When I asked about this, the receptionist was very rude and confrontational and said "You booked a cheap hotel." and that was the most helpful staff member I can across.
Loved Paris, but it was more than a pity that I was so happy to leave just to get out of the hotel.

Room Tip: Room in a different hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kremlyn
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Having lived in Paris for a year, I knew exactly where this hotel was located so had no qualms about the actual distance from the sights (e.g Champs Élysées) unlike other reviewers. Yes, the walk will take about 40 minutes but the tube is close by and buses run frequently to all the popular destinations.

What I was not prepared for, however, was the appalling service we received.

I had read all the reviews before visiting and thought that some visitors were being overly cranky and expecting a luxurious hotel, although given the price, how anyone can expect more than a convenient pit-stop is beyond me.

The first point was that we didn't have a key card for the three days/two nights we were there as all door systems were broken in the hotel.. Not a problem until you have to queue at Reception for 15 minutes behind arrivals / disgruntled customers to collect your key.

Secondly, the hot water broke for one of the nights we were there, which is understandable given that is an old building. What is not understandable is the lack of empathy or respect from the man on reception, and the inference that any problems in the hotel are somehow the fault of every customer.

Mild irritations you may feel, until the last day when, trying to check out, we discovered we'd been hugely overcharged in comparison to the price we were given when booking.. With no explanation, even when faced with email evidence. When I pointed out that we would not pay a price we didn't book for, and that our level of service had been poor, I was shouted at in French by the aggressive male receptionist. I imagine he hadnt bargained on my French fluency and ability to shout back.

We ended up giving up and paying the higher price just so that we could leave - there was another group of disgruntled customers in reception at the time complaining of their bill and service, so nice to know we were not alone.

We shall not be back.