“Very Uncomfortable Stay & Rude Staff” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Floride Etoile Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Floride Etoile Hotel
Ranked #643 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Very Uncomfortable Stay & Rude Staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

I specifically chose this hotel for 3 reasons: great location, free wifi, and non-smoking. I stayed here for a full week, and it was for a business trip.

The location is absolutely perfect. It's a 10 minute walk from both the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triumph, and steps away from the nearest Metro stop. For the location alone, I would have expected the room we got to be more expensive.

The room itself was shabby and outdated, not at all like the pictures online, but quite clean, and there were no bugs in sight.

Don't stay here if you're a light sleeper. The walls are paper-thin. You can here entire conversations through the walls. Not just muffled conversations -- exact words. It's like they're in the room with you. There's also construction on the 5th floor that started very early in the mornings, and was very loud. We were on the 3rd floor.

Now for the reason I gave this hotel 2 instead of 3 stars. I almost gave it 1 star for this. One of my reasons for booking this hotel was that it was advertised to be non-smoking. I have allergies and cigarette smoke bothers me a lot. I know that smoking is extremely common in Paris, and it's one thing when someone next to you is smoking at a cafe on on the street. But when it comes to where I sleep, I NEED it to be a smoke-free zone, so I don't even book hotels where there are smoking rooms in addition to non-smoking rooms.

Unfortunately, our neighbors were incredibly rude and disregarded the hotel's non-smoking policy. They must have smoked at least a pack of cigarettes every time they were in the room, and they were there nearly the full week I was there. On one particular night, they got back to their room at midnight (I know this since the walls are paper-thin, and I could hear when they entered the room), and the smoking started up in full-force. The smell seeped right through the walls, as usual, and aggravated my allergy so much that I couldn't sleep.

I called down to the front desk, thinking that if it were my hotel, I would want to know when someone was violating the non-smoking policy. Not only does that disturb other guests, but it will also be unfortunate for the next guests who stay in that room. Here's how the conversation went:

Man at front desk: "Hello."
Me: "Bonjour."
Man at front desk: "Bonjour."
Me: "Do you speak English?"
Man at front desk: "Yes."
Me: "Our neighbors are smoking in their room, which is making our room smell strongly of cigarette smoke. Is there anything that can be done about this?"
Man at front desk: "Well it's their room. Once they buy the room they can do anything they want."
Me: (Pause) Isn't this a non-smoking hotel?
Man at front desk: "Well yes, ehem, umm, which room is it?"
Me: I think it's coming from (room number). I tried going out in the hall to make sure and I think it's coming from that room.
Man at front desk: "Well I really don't think I can do anything about it."
Me: Ok...
*Click*

Alright, so I think that's that, and I'm stuck with a room that smells like I'VE been smoking a pack of cigarettes. Then a few seconds later, I hear the neighbor's phone ring. Two minutes later, my phone rings. I can't even quote that conversation... to sum up, the man at the front desk outright YELLED at me for about five full minutes. He said he called that room to ask them to stop smoking, and the man in that room is now "very upset, and says that he wasn't smoking." He then goes on and on with metaphors like if someone crosses the road when the light is red, it's their own choice and there's nothing you can do about it, and I don't even know. At one point I took the phone away from my ear just to laugh and say "Oh my God, what is going on right now?"

First of all, it is completely unacceptable to yell at your hotel guests who are paying you. Secondly, before you call ANY guest room after midnight, it is imperative that you investigate the situation first yourself. Even if I did get the room wrong (and I even said I *think* it's the certain room number), he should have made the effort to verify it before making the call, considering late hour. Thirdly, that other hotel guest was lying; I could tell exactly where the smoke was coming from and it coincided with them coming home. But I was still getting yelled at, without this front desk staff leaving his chair to find out where the smoke is coming from.

Maybe in France this behavior is normal (both yelling at guests and people smoking in non-smoking rooms), I really don't know. But it definitely made for a poor experience and very little sleep that week.

This same man at the front desk was rude to me earlier in the week as well. The wifi wasn't working at all one night, so I went down to the front desk to ask about it. He started shrugging it off and saying "Oh, well I don't know what to tell you, our internet works great for everyone else." What, was I lying about it? It worked better the next day so it didn't come up again, but the rudeness was simply uncalled for.

So to sum up, stay here for the location, if you're not a light sleeper, and if cigarette smoke doesn't bother you. And if you don't mind rude staff. Otherwise, stay away!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank dianaurban

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chorley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in October 2012 for our mini honeymoon. For such a short visit I wouldn't exactly say it was cheap.... but certainly competitive compared to other hotels we looked at in this location. Speaking of which, you cannot beat the location of this hotel! Approx a 10 minute walk from the Eiffel Tower, 2 minutes from numerous restaurants and bars, on the same street as a small supermarket (which was handy for essentials), and there's a metro station just at the end of the road.

The room we stayed in was fairly small, but it was spotlessly clean and comfortable. As this was a sight-seeing holiday is was more than adequate for our needs and we were not disappointed.
We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis and we were very impressed with the breakfast service. Served until 10.30am so we didn't have to be up early! Even though we went down fairly late (about 9.30/10am) each day there was plenty of choice - croissants, cheese, ham, cereals, fruit, yoghurts etc as well as fresh tea, coffee and fruit juice.

The staff at the hotel were polite and helpful and spoke very good English.

Would definitely recommend this hotel as a good base for a sight seeing break in beautiful Paris.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel is literally 15 minutes walk from the Eiffel Tower in one direction and the Arc de Triomphe in the other and a Metro is located under five minutes away so you really can't fault the location.

The price was good, one of the cheapest I saw available when I was looking and the room was perfectly adequate - don't expect luxury but you will definitely get clean and comfortable.

All the staff I encountered were very friendly and their English was perfect which is good as my French is non-existent.

I really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

The location is amazing! Right in the middle of the city without all the craziness and close to so many brilliant places to eat. Everything is within walking distance and the metro is close. You cannot beat this location! The staff are great too.
The beds were a little hard, but having travelled through Europe I come to expect this but it is certainly nothing to complain about. Just personal preference really. It did get a little noisy into the evening sometimes, but that was more due to the people in the other room and it didn't last long. The rooms are quite small but nothing you can't tolerate for a few days and like I said previously, this is common in Europe.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed here for two nights with my friend. The hotel is in an excellent location for visiting all the main attractions- the Eiffel Tower is only a 10-15 minute walk away. We had a twin room which was big enough and very clean. The lady on reception was very friendly and welcoming and gave us a detailed map as soon as we walked in, showing us exactly where we were and the nearest metro stations etc. For the price we paid it was so worth it as you will probably struggle to find much cheaper hotels in a central location that are as clean, spacious and have such friendly staff. I will stay here again next time I go!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Great location, easy walking distance to the Arc de Triomph. Many Bistros, and other eating places within 5 minutes walk. SMALL rooms but very clean. Good breakfast choice available.
Footpaths outside of hotel difficult to negotiate , due to new pipes being laid in the area.
Would still recommend this hotel as good value.

Room Tip: All small but very clean.