“Too big to care”

Pullman Paris Montparnasse
Ranked #510 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I recently spent 2 nights at the Pullman Montparnasse on a business trip to Paris.
The hotel is huge, so huge that it embodies the words "Tourism industry", especially the second word. With so many rooms, difficult to have a service up to the promise, I guess, but what happened to me is a big let off.

After waiting almost half an hour to check in (this place is so big that you have long queues at the desk), I got to my room only to discover that the place was not clean: trash bin with an empty pack of snack, opened bottle of water on the table, personal shower gel (meaning, not mine, not the one of the hotel) in the bathroom (funny thing I took pictures of that because I found that so odd that I though my collegue would not believe it, but never thought I would actually use those pictures). So I called the reception to fix this, they came to clean up, but, well, you never have twice the opportunity to make a good first impression. It definitely did not put me in a good mood for a start.

After that things got smoother. The beds are good, the room, rather small was functional. Well, except that you have to go to breakfast with a coupon (wow luxury) and ... queue again to be seated in a huge unpersonal place. Well, I was there for business so I did not really care.

When I was back from my business trip, I emptied my luggage and discovered that I forgot a black shirt in the room. I wrote an email to address displayed in my confirmation email from the hotel. Waited a week. No answer. I called, had to go to different services, they said they did not find a shirt. Really? Was on myself the day before, not in my luggage at arrival, were could it be? Well we will look and call you back. Called me back: no we did not find any shirt. Well, guess what, I am not surprised, if you are not able to make sure rooms a clean on customer's arrival because you run a place too large to ensure optimal service, how can you manage to deal with a daily mountain of lost & founds? Maybe the next customer was happy to find a complimentary black shirt in the room, maybe it is still there under the bed because they clean so well, who knows. What I know is that I will avoid this place when I come back to Paris.

Bottom line: place is too big, service cannot cope with it, the most unpersonal hotel I have been to yet, well, beds are good. So unless you are hiding and want to get lost and unnoticed in this huge tower, pass our way.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Alessandro M
Write a ReviewReviews (4,021)

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed 3 night at this hotel. It's really fantastic one.
The price is not so cheap... but the room, the service and the breakfest is worthwhile.
The hotel is near the train station and metro. The bus from;to the airport is in front of the hotel, which is also excellent.
I do recomend!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had a room on the 22nd floor and the view was wonderful !! The AM breakfast buffet was spectacular. Staff were friendly and informative. We would stay here again when in Paris.There were ample restaurants and cafes in the area and the hotel is colnvenient to metro stations. The Montparnasse tower is near for a truly amazing view of Paris at night.

Room Tip: Higher the better !!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ZenoMyrtleBeach_SC
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We arrived with a tour group. The hotel is not in the heart of the tourist areas of Paris, but so convenient to the subway, train, and bus that it is obviously a good choice for large groups. There is a grocery store next door. There are many restaurants within walking distance -Crepes, French, Japanese, Afgan, so many choices so little time. While we were there, we saw many groups ranging from business people, to boat tourists, to foreign school groups from all over the world. We spent little time in the hotel. Once we were shown the subway station almost next door we spent our days roaming Paris. Every morning we enjoyed the hotel breakfast buffet which was included in our tour price. The breakfast buffet is enormous and excellent, BUT you must get there during the hours it is open. We found the room very comfortable and certainly large enough for two. It had a big closet and beautiful bathroom. The concierge desk was extremely helpful with getting on the internet and loaned my husband a converter for our stay. Before we left the hotel to continue through France, we bought the appropriate converter at the gift shop in the hotel. About the gift shop, ask if you do not see it, they may have what you need. This hotel is experienced with large groups and very helpful if you just ask. Politely please. Do go up on the roof of the nearby Montparnasse Tower (there is a fee) to see Paris, including the Eiffel Tower at night, unless you were lucky enough to get a room with a view in the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Eiffel Tower
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in early Jan 2013. It is a highrise property with loads of rooms. The room was Small, nice, clean, carpeted and well kept. Something you would expect from this hotel. The bathroom was well equipped with a bathtub etc. The hotel has a very business feel to it.

On our last day we were offered complimentary buffet breakfast

This hotel is completely non-smoking.

Location is very good as the Montparnasse Station is almost directly opposite the hotel, giving it the strategic advantage, especially if you are using the metro a lot, like we did. Also, if you coming from the airport, the shuttle bus arrives and departs right in front of the hotel. The complete Montparnasse district is within walking range.

Room Tip: Try taking a room on the higher floors, for good views of Paris!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Very nice hotel Good service Great location, central of the city close to every thing you want to see & do Lots of shops & restaurants. Food markets are close to hotel & Malls Very good restaurants, menu starts from 11EU for 3 courses & wine from 15EU.

Room Tip: You can't get better location than this hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times as a business traveller, and feel that I can give a fair assessment of this hotel. It is well-located for the Montparnasse district, with plenty of bars, restaurants and brasseries within walking distance; it is also close to several metro stations, so the rest of central Paris is easily accessible. So far so good.

However, it is a large, impersonal hotel that seems to be a prime target for large parties of travellers on organised tours. Nothing wrong with that, but it can lead to "mobs" of guests waiting in the lobby area for their tours to start, and the lifts can get swamped by large groups suddenly wanting to get to their rooms. The reception area is rather dark and dingy, with little natural light, and the bar feels more like an airport waiting area.

The rooms are functional, clean and a decent size, but again my room on this visit had rather limited natural light. I have not eaten in the hotel as there are so many local options which are better and cheaper.

Overall, this hotel might do the job if you're staying a night on an organised tour, but for a lone traveller or couple, or even a business traveller, I would recommend finding somewhere else with a more personal touch.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business