“New Year”

Ranked #615 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 10, 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at ibis Paris Opera la Fayette (strangely, also called ibis Paris Opera la Palatier?). Check-in was quick and friendly. I've just seen a post by a fellow reviewer saying attitude of staff is horrible -- not in our case. They have been friendly throughout. Perhaps our effort to use our minimal French vocabulary helped! The staff spoke good English to us too, by the way...

Anyway, the location of the hotel is good. It may, however, be slightly troublesome to find as there is another ibis hotel 2 blocks away. In any case, it was convenient. A minutes walk from the Cadet metro station and a few more minutes from the Notre Dame de Lorette. There is also a supermarket nearby which opens till 10 pm.

Probably like any other ibis hotels, opera la fayette also tells you to go green by re-using towels whilst giving you plastic cups in the toilet...

There are some slight issues during our stay. The lift was slow. The main entrance doors were not working throughout our stay and the poor receptionist had to come to open the locked side door for us every time we show up. Also, after we checked out and needed to leave our luggage at the hotel... "please feel free to use the lockers down there...". Yup, 4 Euros for the big ones which comfortably fits two large pieces of luggage.

Other than that, things were largely fine. Our room had a nice little balcony overlooking the side street which wasn't busy. Throughout our stay it has been quiet and comfortable. For the price, and given how expensive things can get in Paris, we were happy customers.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Deinococc
Reviewed December 30, 2012

As a tourist, most of one's time in Paris would be spent sightseeing and out on the streets of the city. As such, the Ibis La Fayette is an ideal choice, since it is very reasonably priced compared to the other hotels in the city and offers a clean, comfortable and neat room. The staff are also helpful when asked. There are however no tea/coffee making facilities in the room.

The hotel itself is also close to basic amenities such as a supermarket, some restaurants and the Cadet Metro Station. Please be warned though, that this station does not have elevators/escalators. As such, if you, like me, plan to take the bus from Orly airport to the main metro (can't remember the line) which links up to the Cadet station, travel light! I suffered carrying my big heavy bag up those stairs! Fortunately though, there were some kind souls who gave me a helping hand.

McDonalds/McCafe is also just outside the metro exit, a few minutes walking distance from the hotel, which was ideal for my morning tea and croissants. I did not find any halaal eating places near the hotel; however, on my way out of Paris, I discovered that there were quite a few nearby. So more research on my part may have helped in this regard!

I must add that I travelled alone on this trip and did not feel 100% safe on the metro at night, as well as walking through some of the streets en route to the metro, especially since some of the places were a bit isolated. Just a consideration if you plan on being out till late in the centre and need to get back to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Khadija_CPT
h7402, Gérant at Ibis Paris Opera la Fayette, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment. Hope to see you again in our hotel.

Yours sincerely,

SIMON Odile
Directrice

Reviewed December 28, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
h7402, Gérant at Ibis Paris Opera la Fayette, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We arrived Hotel as 4 People, First they gave us Rooms in different etages, although they had Free Rooms at Same etages, , After our accomandation they Charged THe Full amount in our Credit Card twice!!!when we claimed THe failure they refused to help us, we are fighting to get money back .. Awfull Service Never ever Again

• Stayed: December 2012
7  Thank Nininum
Reviewed December 8, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Before I begin, I would like to disclose that I've used other Ibis Hotels several times previously (Nice, Paris Montmartre, Grenoble, Paris Brancion & Lisboa Liberdade) and have found their hotels good value for money with friendly helpful staff and would gladly recommend Ibis hotels as convenient, clean and well priced hotels. That being said, I would strongly suggest staying away from the Ibis Paris Opéra Le Peletier

I had initially booked the Ibis Paris Opéra Le Peletier hotel as a "fall back" hotel (as the Ibis online booking process is easy to use and very convenient) with a view to book a four star hotel when I had a chance to search for a decently priced hotel. I did find the Le Méridien Etoile hotel at a very similar price but didn't have a chance to book it and ended up staying at the Ibis Paris Opéra Le Peletier hotel. I didn't particularly see this as a problem as it was my wife's first time in Paris and we planned to spend most of our time site seeing (so booking a luxury hotel wasn't a requirement for this trip). I've also always enjoyed good service from Ibis but this time however, I was horribly disappointed.

Problems we encountered were as follows:
- Staff were very unapproachable and didn't speak english properly.
- They were visibly annoyed when spoken to in english or asked any questions.
- Despite booking a double room (we were a couple), the room simply had two single beds moved together.
- The room also wasn't cleaned properly (an empty pizza box and used drinking glasses were left in the room - twice).
- The hotel only provided two bath towels (no hand towels and staff were annoyed when we asked for more towels).
- We were also changed for making a call, but the only call we made was to the Ibis reception!!!
- The main front entrance didn't work. Guests had to knock on a side door and wait for staff to come open the door.

I fully understand you get what you pay for, but in this instance taking into account the rate that the Ibis Paris Opéra Le Peletier charges, I certainly didn't get what I paid for!!! To be fair, we didn't bother complaining about the above as there really wasn't any point - based on how staff behaved when we checked in and asked for more towels, we decided it wouldn't be worth while complaining about anything. Had we complained, they may have surprised us and sorted things out but given the general attitude at the hotel, I highly doubt that would have been the case...

I do recommend the other Ibis hotels I've stayed at (Nice, Paris Montmartre, Grenoble, Paris Brancion, Lisboa Liberdade) but wouldn't recommend Ibis Paris Opéra Le Peletie. I would suggest people search elsewhere to get more value - perhaps Le Méridien Etoile hotel or the Ibis Paris Montmartre.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel