“Fun small hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #639 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Bloomington, Minnesota
“Fun small hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during a recent business trip. The property and rooms are quite small but the place is very fun. The place is very typically European. The service was outstanding as was the breakfast and laundry.

The workout "room" is really just a workout "corner" but the equipment is decent.

The location is perfect - just a block off of the Champs Elysees in the heart of Paris. If you ask for a room on the top floor, there is a beautiful view of the city from your outdoor balcony.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hotelatala, Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your nice comment.
We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Jessica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Providence, RI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I just returned from a week-long business trip in Paris. As I have mentioned in a previous review of another hotel, my company is cheap and so my hotel budget is pretty small. With advance payment, Atala C.E was able to accommodate.

Basically, anyone who has ever done business travel in Paris should really not complain about this place. I have stayed in a lot of places, and most range from terrible to disappointing.

My experience at Atala was exceptionally good. I showed up early on a Sunday morning. Even though check-in was not until later in the afternoon and my room was busy, the lady at reception was able to move me to another room so I could check in, shower and put my stuff away. I do speak French, but I heard her interact with other customers. Her English close to bilingual. She was equally professional and accommodating to them as she was to me.

This stay at Atala was great, because it beat all the low expectations I had, based on prior experiences.

I expected a room the size of a broom closet. By Paris standards, especially given the location (Champs Elysees), the cheapest (read: smallest) room they had was enormous. I’d say it’s about 25 sq. meter, or 250 sq. feet. And I had a queen size bed (praise the lord…).

I expected no or faulty air conditioning. This was the middle of a heat wave early August 2013 but the air conditioning unit above the front door delivered more cool air than I needed, to the point where I had to turn it off at night (it got chilly!).

Because this is right on Champs Elysees, I expected noise. Turns out my room was on the back yard and I heard – quite literally – nothing at all, day and night.

Expected a painful lack of amenities: Safe worked great. I asked for an iron and board, got both for free. Wifi worked perfectly and (a real shock!) was free. Room was spotless and cleaned daily. Got refill of bath products daily, and towels were changed roughly every 2-3 days even though I never asked for the change (you can get clean ones every day if you ask).

Overall, Atala overshot on all my expectations by miles and miles. The things I did expect to be nice were there. From the hotel, a 2 minute walk will get you to metro station George V. 10 minutes to one of Paris’s transportation hubs Etoile or more lines at FDR station. There’s obviously a million bars and restaurants around there but my advice would be stay away from Champs Elysees (tourist trap central) and explore the parts to the East (Friedland, Berri…).

Apparently, the hotel has a good restaurant and a free gym. I did not use them.

Finally, I’ve kept the best for last: One BIG, BIG plus is the public C’NET Laundromat about a quarter mile from the hotel. Address is 48 rue de Berri. If you like to travel light, and you’re staying at Atala, you can use this place to get laundry done. It opens at 7 am and a 5 kilo wash / dry with powder will cost you about 8 euros. Bring coins.

Great little hotel. I was very pleased to have stayed there.

Room Tip: If you're travelling alone, the smallest room should do just fine. For a couple, this could be a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank karelva
Good morning,

Thank you so much! It is really nice of you to have taken the time to write such a nice comment!
The Atala Team is working for the guests to be satisfied, to feel confortable and to leave with a nice memory of the hotel. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you again in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I had some trouble finding the hotel when I first got there. In reality it could not have a better location. It is five minutes away from either of the metro stations (Etoile - Charles de Gaulle or George V). Yet it is far enough from the main thoroughfare that you do not hear the tourist traffic that is customary for Champs Elysees.

The hotel and facilities have some age. You could see it was recently renovated however you still saw the exposed plumbing in the bathroom. Overall the room looked like something from the early 80s. It is very likely I had asked for a king bed but I probably ended up with a twin. Hopefully you do not like watching TV as that looked as it was from the 80s as well. I did not even consider the breakfast option, something like 22 euros.

In the end none this mattered as it was my intention to see as much as possible on foot and metro. I would get to the hotel late that the bed felt just fine and no time for TV. I was able to get by with breakfast at a cost of 10 to 12 euros at any of the cafes or bakeries.

A great experience considering the location. I could not have imagined staying close to Champs Elysees at a cost equivalent of $150 per night. Also congratulations to the staff, very helpful and good English in the event my French was not functional.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hotelatala, Responsable Hébergement at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Chillinathtown,

I would like to apologize for the room and the TV as you did not like them.
As you could see, the Atala hotel is a small independant hotel and we are renovating the rooms one by one. Therefore if you wish to stay in Atala in the future, you can ask for another room type.
Concerning the TV, we do agree with you and we will change everthing next year hopefully.
About the breakfast, I understand that 22 euros is more expensive than the 10 or 12 euros that you found in cafes or bakeris, however for 22 euros, we propose a buffet with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, different fruit juices, water, milk, different types of breads, mini viennoiseries, yogurth, cheeses, cold meat, smoked salmon, cereals, fruits, fruit salads, eggsand you can serve yourself as much as you want. If you wish to take all this in a parisian cafe, the price would be a lot more than 22 euros!

Thank you for your nice comment about the staff, the entire team is really pleased!

I hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in the future.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Be forewarned about this place (and the fact that most of the reviews you see below are NOT real reviews). The AC is non-existent in summer. My wife and I had set our room temp at the lowest it would go - 19c - and it was still very hot. I went to the front desk to ask why our room was so hot and he said "we keep them all at 24-25c". I was surprised at this since the website clearly said "air conditioned rooms". The rest is a long story which I won't bore you with which includes the front desk person saying "my generation didn't need air conditioning" and other things, but the bottom line is they don't have REAL A/C. They keep it artificially high when it's 35c (95F) outside. It wouldn't be so bad if you weren't paying out the nose for the hotel room, but the price is too high for that kind of treatment. Additionally, the room was dirty. Scrapes and gouges all over the walls, dirty floors stained w/ a dark liquid. Very un-Paris, which should be the world's example of excellence.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have its bathroom windows facing the inner ventilation shaft for the bu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WorldTravelerPro
hotelatala, Responsable Hébergement at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Sir,

First, I would like to apologize as I am terribly sorry for the bad experience you had in Atala.

I would like to tell you that all of the comments below are real ones, you can contact the guests directly and see for yourself.

I will ask all my colleagues at reception who answered you that way as it is absolutly not the way we talk to our guests. I agree with you that the receptionnist cannot say "my generation didn't need air conditioning" and I am so sorry.
I present you my apologize also as your air conditionning was not working and I have no idea who told you that we keep all our rooms at 24/25° when this is absolutly untrue. Our air-conditionning works and goes down to 19° (this is the lowest). Sometimes, it can happen that we have troubles with a room, we then call the technicians from the air conditionning company who fix the problem in the day.

Concerning your room, I am sorry if you did not like it. When I look at your 2 pictures, I can see stains on the floor and at the bottom of the door. You are right, this should be fixed. Actually, the stains have been cleaned already. For the door, we need to re-paint it.

I was not aware of this during your stay and I wish I could have helped you. If you want to come back, we could make sure to accomodate you in a nice room to apologize for last time and to show you the service we try to give our guests for them to spend the best holidays.

Again I am really sorry.

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed as a couple for 2 nights and were very impressed by the hotel.

The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful from the moment we checked in. We had a superior double room which was a good size, very well decorated and had all required facilities along with a balcony with a view of the Eiffel Tower.

Hotel is in an excellent location, in a quiet road but only a couple of minutes walk from the Champs Elysees. The George V metro station is also only a couple of minutes walk away.

We did not use the bar facilities or the garden due to the limited time we had but they looked quite impressive.

We considered the hotel very good value for the standard and location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hotelatala, Responsable Hébergement at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Richard and Alison,

Thank you so much for this nice comment.

It is such a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel.

We look foward to welcoming you again in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed at the Atala over the weekend of the tour de France climax. Great location for the race and for sight seeing - only 2 minutes walk to the champs elysees. Our room (602) was a suite with 2 balconies overlooking the eiffel tower. It was a large, clean and comfortable room that was well air conditioned. Tea and coffee making facilities provided. Staff were friendly and accommodating. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Lynn W,

Thank you so much for this nice comment.

The entire Atala team is delighted that you enjoyed your stay.
We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

I came in Paris for 2 days with client and couldn't go to my usual place, so we end up in Atala.
very well located but not 4 stars hotel at all.
the location is perfect, 2 minutes from the champs élysées but the room and the service is not what you may expect.
the personal are nice and polite but they are missing the little thing which make the difference.
Rooms are small and old (on the 5th floor), tiny bathroom
they have a nice garden inside and cozy foyer and a small gym
the breakfast is not with large choice

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Greg L
hotelatala, Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Sir,

I am really sorry if you did not enjoy your stay in Atala.

Concerning the room, I understand by your description that you had a Traditional single room. These rooms are not very big this is true, this is why they can accomodate only one person but it is a normal size for Paris. In lots of hotels, they even sell this size as a double room.
All our other kind of rooms (Superior, Superior with balcony and view, Deluxe and Suite) are a lot more spacious and very comfortable.
As we are a small and independant hotel, we cannot renovate all our rooms at the same time and the Traditionnal single are very traditional when the new ones are more modern.
If by any chance, you had time to come back, we could show you other rooms that you may prefer.

Concerning the personal, I am very sorry and astonished as this is normally one of our strenghs. If you had anytime to explain to me what happened or what did not happen, I would be really grateful.

For the breakfast, we serve bread, viennoiseries, brioches, cereals, yogurth, fruits, fruits salad, fruit juices, cheeses, cold meat, salmon, eggs, coffee, tea and hot chocolate. Therefore if you could tell me what you would expect, it would be interesting for us.

Thank you in advance.

I remain at your disposal.