“small clean room, strategic location”

Timhotel Opera Madeleine
Ranked #1,092 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The location is great, just opposite the saint lazare metro and train station. Walking distance from Roissy bus stop at Opera too, so no need to take cab or metro from CDG airport. Galeries Lafayette is only 2 minutes walking distance. Also surrounded by many (pricey) cafes. But there is a monoprix mini mart nearby to buy some water or snacks.

The room is pretty small, just fit for 2 person. Once we open the luggage, there's no more space to walk. The bathroom also small but very clean. Since we only stay in the room for sleeping so it's no problem for us. If you want a slightly bigger room, better upgrade it for only 20 euro per night.

Their elevator is very tiny too and sometimes it took forever to come. This hotel is not suitable for family with kids and stroller.

The staff is friendly and able to speak english very well.

If you want to save budget on the hotel, this hotel definitely is a good option.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vinatania
OPMParis, Gérant at Timhotel Opera Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your comments about your stay at Timhotel Opera Madeleine, I will transfer it to our team.

The elevator is in fact the main weak point of the hotel. We study the posibility to create a second to reduce the waiting time.

Waiting to welcome you again.
sincerely

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Chose this hotel for the convenience of location, but turned out to be a nightmare! Firstly, my partner and I were appalled by the design of the space within the hotel - we entered and were greeted by a huge stairway that leads to the reception. Lugging big bags, we looked for an elevator- and to our horror, we found the tiniest elevator we had ever encountered, it could barely fit the two of us and our bags (and we are considerably small-sized Asians). It is also by -far the most unfriendly elevators I have ever seen, you will need to insert an access-card for it to move. Just as my friend was exiting with her bags from the lift, she experienced the most embarassing fall, having her heel caught at the door, flying frward, bags and all- and thankfully landing on her knees (and not on her face). The staff at the counter were hopelessly unhelpful. I was left gaping at her fall as I could not leave the elevator on time- the space to exit fits just one human! To top that off, as my partner rubbed at her swollen, bruised knees (and ego) I attempted to check in- we had booked a month in advance and having arrived at about 1 pm, we would have expected to have had the room ready, but much to our dismay, the staff at the reception were fumbling trying to recover our records. And we had more guests turning up to check-in, having to wait, sitting there in a very small area, sighing, panting and almost fuming in despair at the lack of efficiency.
When they finally had our room sorted out, no staff bothered to explain how we were supposed to use the access card to be able to press any button on the lift. So there we were in the tiny elevator again unable to press the floor (4), and fortunately for us, there was another guest who patiently explained it to us. The alleys heading to the rooms are also incredibly narrow. Be warned. And what takes the cake would have to be the shower. I was left speechless as I walked into the bathroom- it is by far the tiniest shower stall I have ever seen in my life- and the person who designed the doors- he must be awarded with a special medal- there are two glass doors, one you will have to close inwards, the other outwards. Both can cause serious injuries- one hits against the showerhead, one bangs unto the toilet bowl. It is so small, you couldn't even bend- and God save you should you drop the soap (again, the tiniest I have ever seen).
Rude, rude staff who seemed bent on punishing us- when I needed a toothbrush, we were given some telling-off, before one was reluctantly handed over to us. To make things even worse, we were deprived from sleep throughout the nights as there was constant loud drilling outside- thanks to repair works being carried out.
Location wise, I have no complaints as it is just a 10-minute walk away from Printemps, La Fayette and most eateries. Paul, where you find the best croissants, is just five minutes away, so that's a plus too. Then there is the Triadou Hassmann Cafe, situated right down the road, that serves an elegant French breakfast, complete with its ambience and summery warmth.
Didn't bother to do any breakfasts within the hotel- overpriced, I think. One of the staff, Ciana, is worth mentioning as she is a pleasantly helpful person- who took time explaining routes and spots to visit.
Overall, I would not recommend this hotel, unfortunately as to me- the experience was not something I would ever wish for anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vijaya_Sooria
OPMParis, Gérant at Timhotel Opera Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Madam,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am truly sorry that our services were not up to your expectations.

It is true that the elevator is not very big but it is officially classified for 5 people.

The size of the rooms is indeed not the first quality of the Parisian hotels. Our property in a building dating from the 19th century and some rooms are smaller than other effect. For your information, we have superior rooms more spacious and we should propose it upon arrival.

Please accept again my apologies for wearing a shadow to your stay in Paris,

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Wonderful balance of comfort and location. Extremely clean and spacious room and bathroom. Able to accommodate a bike case without problems. Front desk very friendly and helpful. Breakfast well stocked and serviced.

Room Tip: Street facing room a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear Madam/Sir

Thank you very much for having shared your experience at Timhotel Opera Madeleine.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and your comments are our best reward.

I wish to congratulate you for braving the traffic of Paris with your bike!

Waiting to welcome you again,

Best regards,
Hotel manager

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this place purely because of the location and it has lift. Didn't expect great service and I was right. I put up "Do Not Disturb" sign and it seems like the housekeeping did not get the message at all as when I went out for a short stroll and came back, the housekeeping was inside cleaning and did not bother to even say sorry.

The room and bath was small but clean. But they are dated.

Location wise- it is perfect as it is central. From the airport I took Roissy express bus and it cost me 10 euro to get to opera and it was just a short walk to get there. It is just a block away to get to Printemps and Lafayette so it was heavenly for a shopping enthusiast!

Just add the doorstep of the hotel, there is a bus stop and Gare St Lazare which is one of the major train station is just across the street. So getting around is so easy. Food wise there are plenty of choices around and even Macdonals is less than a minute away and Starbucks is across the street... Although I didnt care about them as i was really enjoying french bakery and french food there. Carrefour express which is a mini market is inside the train station. So it was really convenient.

Overall, there was nothing great about the hotel but if you are looking for budget hotel with superb location, this would be it!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank EllyN_08
OPMParis, Gérant at Timhotel Opera Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your comments.

I am sincerely sorry that the service is not up to your expectations. This is a point that is important for us and I offer my sincere apologies about the instructions "do not disturb" that have not been followed. Measures have been taken to provide it will not happen again.

Waiting to welcome you again,

Guillaume Banchet

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Shocking service and other guests were incredibly rude. Rooms extremely small & outdated, breakfast an obscene price & hotel in general hard to maneuver. Hotel staff were also rude & unhelpful. Have stayed in other hotels in Paris that are much better.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank Emz_889
OPMParis, Gérant at Timhotel Opera Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Sir / Madam,

You have taken the time to give us your opinion about your stay in our hotel, and we thank you.

As I have no informations about what happened or even who you are, I can't give you precises returns about your comments.

We are sorry that the service did not meet your expectations, and we beg you to accept our sincerest apologies.

I do agree with you that some rooms are a bit small but I am very surprise concerning the behavior of our staff. Most our clients are returns guest and they are comming back because of the quality of our service.

Again thank you for your comments and hope to convince you, at the next visit, the inconvenience you have known were isolated incidents.

Looking forward to welcome you shortly at Timhotel, please accept, Madam / Sir, our warmest greetings.

Sincerely yours,
Directeur / Hotel Manager
Timhotel Opéra-Madeleine ***

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed there last wek for four nights: excellent value, friendly staff, super breakfast and wonderful location near Gare St. Lazare- four Metro lines converge there. Rooms are small, but that's standard in Europe, at least in reasonably priced hotels. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank 148frank
OPMParis, Gérant at Timhotel Opera Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your very good comments.
I hope to welcome you again during your next visit to Paris,

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The entrance to the hotel is disappointing. The disappointment grew bigger, when I discovered that the elevator was out of order and the receptionist offered me a room on the sixth floor. I managed to get a room on the second floor but in a lower category than the one I had booked. While the reception area is modern and nicely decorated, the room I got (216) was exactly the opposite. Really tiny, visibly worn out and not inviting at all. It’s really difficult to move around in the room. The space between the bed and the window is barely 40 cm wide (see picture). The bathroom seemed to be recently renovated, but was also very narrow (see picture). To make things worse, the room was not made on the second day of my stay, although I left at 7:00 am and came back at 8:00 pm! The sound insulation is absolutely insufficient, but luckily enough the other clients were not extremely noisy. To mention a couple of positive things: The reception staff is very polite and helpful; I appreciated the rapidity of reimbursing the difference in the room category prices. They also offered a free breakfast to compensate for not making the room, but I didn’t have time to accept. The WiFi connection is excellent and absolutely free. And the bed linen was perfectly clean. But this is not enough to make a nice stay. Despite the closeness of the hotel to the St. Lazare railroad station, which motivated my choice, I will opt for a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Konstantin F
OPMParis, Directeur général at Timhotel Opera Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Sir,

I want to thank you for sharing your experience and I am truly sorry it was not up to your expectations.

Unfortunately, we have indeed had some problems with the elevator.

As you mentioned, we have just completed the refurbishment of the reception hall and home of all the breakfast area. Regarding the room 216, it is one of the few remaining older rooms and will be renovated in the coming months.

Indeed, we have different categories and the more spacious are the Superior ones. Unfortunatly, you did not enjoy it because of the elevator.

I present to you our most sincere apologies again and hope to welcome you again in our hotel.