“very conveniently located”

Timhotel Opera Madeleine
Ranked #1,088 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We choose this hotel based on its location. For those who would like to try free & easy tour or just spend a shopping weekend in Paris city where you don't wanna break your wallet, you may consider this hotel. I find good location is quite important, especially for those who don't speak french like me. It save my trouble for asking direction for food, leisure etc.

For food, there are plenty of restaurants & cafe (ranging expensive fine dine to fast food economic take away type) just along the street. (you don't even have to walk across the road). I had tried one of the restaurants, named Mollard (115, rue Saint-Lazare) where the food was quite ok. (total bill Euro 164 for 2 pax with lobster thermidor, half dozen of oyster, onion soup, pan fried scallop with red wine... not bad for my dinner ya).

For shopping, major shopping malls like Galeries Lafayette, Printemps are just within walking distance. I don't understand why so many people like to queue to buy luxury products at Galeries Lafayette (some even behave like crazy) whereby you can just get almost the same things in Printemps. The tax refund rate is the same! For me, i took taxi (costed me Euro7-10) from this hotel to Louis Vuitton shop at Champs Elysees (101, Av Des Champs Elysees) that give me much more pleasant shopping experience. (anyway we are paying nearly thousand for each bag, why make yourself like fighting for cheap goodie at flea market..)

For hotel room, you get what you pay. Hotel entrance is at floor 0 whereas the reception counter is at level 1. No complaint for the superior room. My friends took standard room which was a bit too small according to her comment. But we both decided not to upgrade hotel but save the $ to buy our LV, Gucci & Mont Blanc...ha..ha..ha.. Oh yes, the hotel need Euro10 as deposit for hair dryer and there are coffee making facility in the room. There have very friendly housekeeping lady who helped me vacuum my bag for free.

For transport, taxi stand is just opposite the hotel. We took taxi to Eiffel Tower, Louvre etc which didn't really cost much. On our check out day, we took taxi from hotel to Eurostar station (Gare Du Nord) to London, costed me Euro8.70 taxi fare only. Once arrived the station entrance, we gonna use elevator went up to another floor to check in and scan our tickets. If you are also taking Eurostar, there are plenty of food & drink available at the station before and after the UK checkpoint, so it is not necessary to take away food from cafe nearby the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank FairyMantra
OPMParis, Gérant at Timhotel Opera Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I only want to thank you for your comments.
Since you left the hotel, we now had hairdryers in all the rooms with new mirors.

Waiting to welcomes you again

Best regards,

Guillaume Banchet
Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Unless you are getting a very good deal (say 70 euro) this hotel is not worth the money. The only good thing about it is location - very central and well connected to metro etc. everything else is poor. Rooms are not very clean, bathrooms are tiny (although the actual bathrooms are quite big , the shower and basin are tiny). The rooms are noisy - my room had an old system based heating/aircon and it would go off every 30 or so minutes. Could not sleep and kept waking up every time the heating went off. Also there are major renovation works at the hotel so there is no reception and breakfast room is a temporary and comes with an added bonus of building work with your coffee. No one mentioned the building work to me. Also the elevator is old, slow and very noisy. My room was close to the elevator so could not really sleep as heard doors opening and closing. Breakfast is the usual "lets save money" thing where fruit are out of a tin and cut up, yogurt the cheapest variety, juice from carton and cereals are 100% sugar.
But the location is great and if you get a good deal it might be ok to stay there.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank annabelondon

Dear Sir,

First of all, I want to thank to let us know you feeling about the hotel.

I want to apologies for the renovation in progress. We did move the breakfast room to a meeting room witch has been just refurbished, at day light as the normal breakfast room. We did the same with the reception.

As you say, the hotel is very central. As the building was built on the 19th century and we don't have standard room size: some are larger than other but all our Superior room are much larger than the other. As your comment is anonymous, I cannot check what kind of room you had.

Concerning the breakfast, we provide a fresh orange juice press during the last 24 hours since a month now.

I am deeply sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the Timhotel Opéra Madeleine but hope you will come back again to see our new breakfast room, reception and meeting rooms.

Best regards,

Guillaume Banchet.
Hotel Manager

Reviewed December 8, 2012

If the situation is more important than the number of "stars", than this small hotel is a perfect choice in Paris. We spend there one night...nice room, quiet but amazing situation right in city center (Opera - Gare St Lazare), close to restaurants and bars. And breakfast was so much better than the average "french" breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fransiman
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My only request upon booking was for a quiet room and was completely satisfied, even though we were looking out on the main street. There is good double glazing and the curtains have black out linings. We slept really well and found the bed comfortable. On city breaks, as long as the room is clean and quiet at night, we are happy as you are hardly in it, really.
There is only one lift and you will need your key card to use it.
We did not take breakfast so cannot comment.
No hair drier in the room and when I asked for one at reception, I was told I needed a 20€ deposit! I went back later and another receptionist gave me one with no hesitation! Also had to ask for more coffee sachets and milk but no difficulty there, they were supplied immediately.
Overall, this isn't "le grand luxe" but it is in a great location and we would use it again.
Mollard restaurant below is a lovely treat, especially if you like seafood.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DebsB
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Good location, close to the Square Concordia and many fashion boutiques. Small rooms, but cute and clean. In case you like to travel more then to sleep in hotel, Timhotel is good choice. good restaurants close to the hotel. Hope you like oysters :)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Natalia_Shi
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I spent 2 nights in this hotel from 11 to 13 Sept 2012. The location is good very closed to both metro and RER as well railway station St Lazare. The Lafayette Galleries and Opera are also near. The hotel entrance is very distressing: just a stair and a corridor to the lift. The reception is at the 1st floor.
My room was at the 4th floor and not so good: the window opened on an internal area (see the pictures). The bathroom was orrible very narrow as well the shower.
I paid 149€ per night without breakfast (13€). There are better hotel in Paris. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank frengoesto
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed in the hotel in July 2012. The location is wonderful - 5 steps from the metro entrance, with a bus stop right in front. There are many restaurants and places to pick up a quick sandwich in the vicinity. The hotel is very clean and the staff at the front desk very pleasant. The rooms are tastefully appointed but very very small. The corridors are very narrow. We were in a room with no air conditioning - and we could not open the windows at night because of the noise on the street which lasted until about 3:00 am. I might consider staying here again because of the central location and the very good rates but would request a room with air conditioning.

Room Tip: If it is summer and your room is on the main street you need to have air conditioning.