“Service levels not the same”

Renaissance Paris Vendome Hotel
Ranked #306 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 14, 2012

18 months ago I stayed in this hotel and I gave it a 'Ritz Carlton' rating. Sadly, 18 months later, my husband and I returned in hoping to have the same experience. Not the case. The front desk staff tried to charge my husband for an upgraded room (he is lifetime platinum with Marriott). The last time we stayed getting upgraded to a suite was no issue. This time they tried to charge us $250 a night for the upgrade. We noticed the room has had some wear and tear in the last 18 months since we've been there. Also the nightly turndown amenities suffered compared to the nice chocolate truffles we have been left on our prior visit. It's clear the hotel is trying to get by with less, including the breakfast each morning. All of the morning pastries were stale and we ended up going to Angelina around the corner to get fresh items.

The location of this hotel is good. I was disappointed to see such a difference in service levels and quality in only 18 months. I had actually considered planning an executive level event at this hotel because my first experience of been so extraordinary. Next time I will be trying a different Marriott related property in Paris.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FranceJunkie40
Write a ReviewReviews (1,294)

Reviewed November 10, 2012

What a beautiful hotel. I was with a group and let other guests have the larger rooms, so I was stuck in a smaller room. The small room, while a tad small, was very nicely put together. A very nice room - would stay here again. We also dined at the restaurant in the courtyard and it was a very pleasant evening.
Concierge staff were great as I needed an obscenely early cab ride to CDG. When I arrived early in the lobby to get the cab, the concierge made me a cup of coffee. Just lovely.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank OhFranklin
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I proposed to my wife during a trip to Paris and we stayed at this hotel. The concierges were very helpful and even gave me a complimentary bottle of wine and let me borrow some champagne glasses so we could celebrate after I popped the question (and she said yes of course). The hotel is located in a perfect location for getting around Paris and attractions. Also, the breakfast buffet was amazing! I still remember the smoked salmon they had on that buffet as some of the best salmon I have ever had!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dput
Reviewed November 8, 2012

A very good hotel. The rooms are very small, but I understand this is typical of city centre hotels in Paris. I'd rate the actual room I was in as average. What made up for this was the excellent staff. We were offered an umbrella to take for the day, the staff stored our bags, and went out of their way to make sure we had any questions answered. The bar is cozy. The barman wasn't very attentive and disappeared for 15 minutes! The food we had from the bar was good quality. I'd say the hotel is a four star based on experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JasonBCessna310
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights with our teenage daughter. Had a junior suite overlooking a courtyard, which was very peaceful - no traffic noise at all. The junior suite had a huge double bed and a bed settee in the separate lounge area. Breakfast was not included but there are loads of cafes on the rue de Rivoli which is a couple of minutes walk away. We were within a 5 minute walk of the Louvre and Tuilleries. Great location to walk from or catch bus or metro all within a couple of minutes.
The staff were lovely and very friendly. Always happy to help.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard so no street noise. There will not be a view but at least y...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was a very comfortable, well appointed and pleasant place to stay. The room was spacious (by Paris standards!) and tastefully decorated, with all facilities of a high standard. The staff members were helpful and friendly, always courteous. The gym area is small but beautifully appointed - the swimming pool setting, with a serene Asian theme, is quite delightful. The bar is cosy, welcoming and the bar staff are knowledgable and skilled. Buffet breakfast was excellent with a broad range of well prepared, quality items. The hotel is very near to the Tuilleries, so is literally within walking distance of many sights - but if you don't want to walk, the metro station is only a couple of minutes away. In summary, there is nothing not to like about this hotel and I would happily recommend it to anyone who is after this type of accommodation.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AussiePianoGirl
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Staff pleasant, rooms nice and big, clean. Good breakfast with lots of selections. Perfectly located in the heart of Paris. Close walking distance from most of the sites of Paris.

Manager was quick to upgrade our room without hesitation. Front desk staff always greeting with a smile.

Doorman always there to open door and for security.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business