“Charming and simple plus great location”

Elysees Ceramic Hotel
Ranked #447 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Charming and simple plus great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was desperate for a hotel last week and everywhere I normally stay was full or double its normal price because of the Air Show. I finally found a room at this hotel and wondered worriedly why somewhere so central actually had a space. I needn't have worried, I was just lucky. The outside of the building is quite beautiful, a very unusual style for Paris with its Art Nouveau curves and oddly sandwiched between more traditional early19th century architecture. The evening receptionist could not have been more helpful or welcoming. He suggested supermarkets that might still be open nearby and then got me cutlery to eat my food in my room when I got back, and he organised a cab for me for the following morning (which is not as easy as it sounds in Paris). I had a delightful late night stroll down the Champs Elysees which is 2 minutes from the hotel, to find the supermarket - you can probably see the Arc de Triomphe from the front hotel windows it's so close. A really great location for visitors, but quiet. I loved my room. It was on the top floor (6th I think) and in the eaves which was really charming. My enthusiasm may have been influenced by the huge storm that hit that night, which made my room feel really cosy! It was ample space for one person and would have been ok for a 'normal' sized couple, with a small double bed and the crispest sheets and the most comfortable mattress. The bathroom was small, but cleverly designed so it worked. The decor was simple and tasteful, solid colours, none of that horrible pretentious chinz that you sometimes find in cheaper hotels. The breakfast was standard and cost €12 which was okish. As usual, the coffee wasn't great as it was left to stew on the hot plate rather than being made to order and the breakfast room itself was a bit clinical. Overall I was really pleased with my find and at €240 room only, was the best value room in Central Paris that night!

Room Tip: I suspect that the rooms are fairly small, but being on the top floor means that they have charm by...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

My family of 4 (myself,husband and 2 sons aged 18 and 20) recently stayed here for 3 nights. While I understand hotel rooms in Paris are small, For what we paid I was extremely disappointed. The room was tiny with barely any room to walk. Location was good, very close to Metro station, but I would not stay here again. Elevator was not available for 2 of the 3 days we were there, and the last thing I wanted to do after walking/ sightseeing all day was to hike up 5 flights of stairs on a winding staircase. We had to haul all of our luggage down the stairs at check out. WiFi is NOT free also. I think you can find a better hotel than this for what you will pay for in Paris.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank STL2
Armidale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

I booked this hotel online many months in advance, as I knew I had to meet my northern France tour there. It was also inexpensive this way. Its staff (particularly Redda) were so helpful. It made my stay in Paris so much easier.

It has a high standard of rooms (yes small, but this is Europe) and their lovely pastries for breakfast were most welcome. Have brekkie there, as many of the shops don't open till late.

Yes, its very handy to the Metro station, but be sure to buy your Metro tickets at the Tobacco shop just before you enter the Metro. Ten tickets are inexpensive and will see you over many journeys.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms have just been renovated and some more are underway. Also they are all good, ask...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have made four trips to Paris in the last three years and stayed in a different Hotel each time. I have to say this is a lovely hotel and perfect location for sightseeing. The standard rooms are small but you have to expect this in a bouquet hotel. The staff are very helpful and friendly. I would definately recommend this Hotel to families, couples and groups and would book without hesitation. The breakfast is good, we didnt book in advance and glad we didn't as they charged us 50% less (6 euros) on arrival which was worth it.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front (601) had a lovely view of the Arc de Triomphe, but a bit noisey as it is a b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Checked in for a 3 night stay, hotel is in a brilliant location, a stones throw from the Arc de Triomphe and right near a metro station where virtually every line runs through. The hotel is full of characture, and what the rooms may lack in size, this is more than compensated by the lovely, happy, helpful and friendly staff.

• Stayed June 2013
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

We're a very tall family (including our 9 year old and 6 years old boys!) so space is very important to us. We had a family room with a Queen size bed, a sofa bed and a camp bed - both of which were a good size and comfy for the kids. The hotel is between 2 Metro stations and right by the Arc de Triomphe which was great. Well sound-proofed and very clean. We didn't have breakfast as we took our own breakfast bars and bought milk & juice locally - we had a little fridge in the room. Lots of restaurants close by. Yes, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Elysees Ceramic is a very short walk to the L'Arc de Triomphe. The exterior of the building is literally a very unique ceramic, thus the name. Small,charming, vintage are the words that come to mind first. Nothing is "brand new" but nothing is shabby. Older decor, fixtures and finishes and small rooms that were typical for the era the building was built...but that is what I wanted. I wanted to be absorbed by the original true architecture and iconic design (not elegant upgrades for the sake of luring tourists) and certainly wanted a "lifeview snapshot' of the City and the "real" citizens of Paris. ECH was very clean and the staff was wonderful, helping in any way they could...and smiling while they did it. I spent several moments on various occasions wondering what the "French attitude" I had heard so much about actually meant. We smiled. They smiled. Lovely. Metro is close but we chose to walk to the Eiffel, Notre Dame, Louvre, both banks and never missed a beat! Turn the corner and restaurants and shopping abound in very close proximity. You have to go further for the "heart" of the Latin Quarter but it is in walking distance and in walking, we became intimate with the city streets and were easily able to orientate ourselves visually via the proximity to the river and/or the "sentinel" Eiffel but of course we had a map! I felt when I left that I definitely had an intimate view of true Paris and I would definitely consider staying at ECH on my return trip, if available. If you want over the top elegance, cutting edge design and large rooms, this is not the place. If you want a true taste of vintage Paris in boutique fashion, this is a good option.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple