“Such a Disappointment”

Ranked #161 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Washington DC
“Such a Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed at the hotel in May for nine nights and I can’t tell you how disappointed we were. This is not our first stay at the hotel so we were totally shocked. While the new décor is lovely to look at, the lack of basic necessities in the room makes for a difficult stay. There are no shelves in the bathroom, I had to stack items on the floor. We only had one night table, there was no room for a second one on my husband’s side. When opening the closet, I had to move my night table to accommodate the door opening and the only shelving we had to put anything away was so high I couldn’t reach it. Needless to say, I was forced to live out of my suitcase. The room was so small there was practically no room for the suitcases and we kept tripping over them. All the Paris charm that was present before the renovation has been replaced by modern design, which is fine, but this is a hotel room where basic needs must be met. You don’t meet them anymore and that is such a shame. One final note, your breakfast buffet is wonderful. There is a vast array of tasty food and beverages.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank skippy123
Hotels_MHurand, Directeur général at Madison Hotel by MH, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear skippy123,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us.

I would be delighted to discuss this further with you and would kindly ask if you could contact me on info@hotelsmauricehurand.com.
I would like to assure you that this is not the level of service that we pride ourselves on and I can only hope that you will contact me so that I can personally discuss the matter with you.

Caroline Demon - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Check in was easy - the room 77 was beautifully decorated view was of rooftops but again you are in Paris and you def felt you were in teh heart of te city. The room was small but well appointed and very very comfortable, beautifully decorated with french flair. We orebooked a got the breakfast included which was delicious simple but tasty. The Hotel service was impeccable, Great location I could go on and on but it was just perfecty Parisian I think covers it all.

Thank you to all the staff you were kind resposnisve and incredibly helpful. I will def be coming back as I had a great experience and it made my stay in Paris magical

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotels_MHurand, Directeur général at Madison Hotel by MH, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Nyxtian,

You could not make all of us happier and the whole Madison Hotel team thank you for this. Indeed our daily main concern is to have satisfied guests who can rely on us to spend the warmest and most enjoyable experience. I am truly pleased to hear that we have achieved our aim!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Paris.

Best regards,
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Clean, modern, reasonable size by Paris standards, nice staff, and good area if you prefer a somewhat quieter area (which we liked.). Plenty of nice cafes and within walking distance of many attractions.

The courtyard view is basically a view of outside walls, but quiet.

Overall a nice hotel, except the beds and pillows were not comfortable, especially since all sites such as Expedia and Hotels.com state that the hotel has Sleep Number beds by Select Comfort. I am not sure where this misinformation began, but personnel at the hotel have never even heard of a Sleep Number bed!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank cgarrett101
, General Manager at Madison Hotel by MH, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear cgarrett 101,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you have enjoyed our very central yet quiet location on Saint-Germain-des Prés.

I was concerned, however, to learn that you were not fully satisfied with the comfort of our beds and pillows...
Thank you for letting me know about Sleep number beds. There was a terrible misunderstanding between us and Expedia because we do not have Sleep Number Beds.

Besides the issues mentioned above I hope that you will give us the opportunity and the pleasure to welcome you back to the Madison Hotel.

Best wishes,
westchester, new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Ok, clean hotel with a good location and a pleasant staff BUT my husband and I were expecting a romantic charming hotel and this it was not. Tiny room barely fit luggage, two twin beds pushed together, detached toilette, tiny bathroom, view of a wall and air conditioning unit, mediocre breakfast for 25 euros each! For the money they are charging there are so many other choices. Wouldn't stay again- we've travelled quite a bit and this is a 3 star hotel.Maybe there are much nicer rooms, we certainly didn't get one!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank larmar055
, Directeur général at Madison Hotel by MH, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Larmar055,

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions on the Madison Hotel with us.

About the breakfast, it is the first time we receive this kind of complaint from our guests. The breakfast you mention is actually € 25, which includes a wide range of fresh and home made products : coffee, croissant and fresh orange juice, eggs, fine pastry, cereals, fresh fruit salads, etc...

Some of our rooms are indeed small, however we do communicate the exact size on our web site, so to be perfectly transparent.

Should you need further information, I remain at your disposal.

Your Sincerely,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Eye-wateringly expensive unless you're on company expenses (or get a better deal than I did: 300 euros per night!) That was excluding breakfast at another 25 euros per head. Sacre Bleu! We were escorted to our room, which was well furnished and very comfortable but be warned - quite a few rooms seemed to have a view from their window into a set of air-conditioning units. That was the view from our window. I nearly requested a change, but couldn't face the hassle. When I checked out, someone checking-in was back at the desk requesting a change, but was having no luck. Given the way the hotel is built, in fact, I'd guess the majority of the rooms do not face out onto a Parisienne Boulevard.
On the positive note, the rooms are of a pretty high standard with coffee making facilities, mini- bars (I didn't dare test my wallet on this), dressing gowns, slippers, air conditioning that is simple to work, multi-channeled flat screen satellite tv and aesthetic decor. Bathroom was small but adequate. The hotel itself was pretty tidy and modern and the staff were great, very helpful and friendly which, for Paris, is always a plus. Most spoke really good English too, and not grudgingly!
The location was the best thing in my opinion. It's right next to two Metro line stops, but you can walk to the Seine and Notre Dame cathedral in about ten minutes. Restaurants and cafes abound, and nearby shops attest to the fact that you are in an expensive area - it's all Ralph Lauren, Prada, Gucci and other fashion victim temples. It's easy to relax and unwind despite the fact that you're in the heart of the city. I'd probably return to this hotel if I could be sure of a room with a boulevard view. I suppose the cost is probably not outrageous given the standard, location and character of the hotel, but it would make me pause for thought.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room NOT facing inward over the air conditioning units.
Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Uryjm,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your impressions on your recent stay at the Madison Hotel.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to appreciate the excellent and dynamic location of the hotel.
We are most happy about the fact that despite theview of your room, you state that you are longing to return, which is perhaps the best compliment we could hope for.

We look froward to welcoming you soon again,

Asbury Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

Went to Paris for a suprise 40th Birthday weekend. I had nothing to do with the hotel choice, and I could not have picked a better place. I love boutique hotels. The only issue we had was that 2 deluxe rooms were confirmed several times prior to arrival. Upon arrival we were informed that there was only 1 available. We were told a tour company had booked the hotel and that they were given the deluxe. The downgraded room was nice and adequate, just not as large as the deluxe bedroom or it's bathroom. The hotel staff was very accommodating. Spoke great english. Great with directions. The hotel is in a very very good location. I am very partial to the St.Germain area. It is my favorite part of Paris. The Rue de Buci is right across the street and great for shopping or a sidewalk cafe. The area between St Sulspice and the hotel is a great area too, lots of small shops and restaurants. You can walk to the Louvre and Notre Dame no problem! We were barely in our room, because we were out and about getting lost in Paris and drinking wine anywhere we felt the need to. But the hotel was a great place to come home to! The rooms were decorated beautifully the beds were super comfy the drapes darkened the room totally and the windows blocked out any outside noise! I can't say enough good things about Madison Hotel. I just love Paris and the Madison make it that more special.

Room Tip: Deluxe Room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear JeannieStu,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay which I gather is pretty favorable. As far as staff friendliness is concerned, I take on board your observations and will endeavor to improve this aspect of our service standards together with my colleagues.

I nevertheless hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you soon again to the Madison Hotel, until then I remain,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

Absolutely amazing hotel...great location right by the metro station...not much else I can say other that how great it was. Staff were very kind and spoke excellent English. The room was gorgeous. I stayed with a friend for only one night and it was totally worth it! We didn't have to worry about a thing because the hotel took care of everything. Nothing was too much trouble!! Whenever a Paris trip comes up...I will definitely be returning to this hotel!!! Thoroughly recommended!!!

Room Tip: I don't think it matters what room you have because they are all beautiful!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kelly J
Dear Kelly J,

It is truly a pleasure to see that the Madison Hotel has successfully achieved in bringing a positive contribution to your stay in Paris.

It is on behalf of all my colleagues here that I extend to you our sincere feeling of gratitude for having stayed with us and for relating your positive experience in such fine terms.

We all look forward to welcoming you soon again to Paris and the Madison Hotel,