“Terrible Accounting Department”

Holiday Inn Paris Elysees
Ranked #431 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This hotel has the worst accounting department. They made a mistake in my billing for about $600! It took them two months to refund the money (yes two months). First they promised in 7 days, then another 7 days, then their machine is not working. Then they asked for my accoutn # to send the money and after that, they promised in 3 weeks, of course nothing happened. I had to get Holiday Inn Headquarter involved. Then they lied by saying that the money had been sent and confirmation number would be sent later. After another few phone called, finally they refunded it to my credit card. The whole thing took two months and almost everyday phone calls from Canada to France. TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RapidBeam
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Paris Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Dear AMS840,

Thank you for your review of our property. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the difficulties you had experienced. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and your comments are very important to us. I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the services we offer to our guests.

Joel B.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

After having tried to arrange an early check in (as a Priority Club member) over the two weeks preceding our scheduled arrival, we arrived from Brisbane after a 30 hours journey at 9 am and were told that we could not get a room before 3 pm (!) so that we had to roam the streets of Paris for 6 hours - and it was raining, with temperatures around 15°C. When we got back to the hotel at 3 pm, we had to wait for another 15 min before we could finally get a room.
The next shock was the size of the room. They claim their rooms are 15 m², but this has to include bathroom and corridor dead space. The hotel room itself - I measured it - is well below 10 m². There was literally no space to put our two suitcases. Ultimately we had to resort to pushing the two twin beds together and to the wall on one side of the room to create some space for the suitcases on the opposite side (see photos). And this for an average price of little under € 300 per night.
The hotel advertises on its website that wireless internet connection is available and included but it was down during most of our stay.
Breakfast is average, there is a very poor choice of bread; the room we stayed in was quite noisy.
Despite of us being away for most of the days housekeeping did not attend to our room on one occasion. No apologies or explanations were offered, and when we asked to speak to management, we were told that no manager was available during the weekend - in a 4star hotel of a well-renowned international brand!
On Monday then when the manager was finally available, she did not offer apologies let alone some form of compensation - she asked us to LEAVE! Allegedly we had been abusive with staff, when all we had been was clearly dissatisfied and insistent.
I would agree that there was probably some element of bad luck involved, but fellow travelers be very clear about the fact that this place will not offer you normal Holiday Inn standard.
For me and my partner the experience was so dissatisfying that I destroyed my Priority Club Card, canceled my membership and will never stay at any hotel of the IHG group again. Luckily there is no lack of better alternatives.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Fotomate88
DirectionHI, Responsable relations publiques at Holiday Inn Paris Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Sir,

We wish to inform you that we have heard your remarks. However, we cannot tolerate your extreme violence against our Team and Hotel Management. Our General Manager was very shocked by your attitude and we proposed to reimburse you so that you can leave the hotel. You threatened us by a comment on Trip Advisor. You put this opinion, after four months! We are not afraid of feedback if that can help our guests for make the right choice. The Future Guests will take their decisions in your unfounded argument.

Our policy involves a Check In at 15:00 because clients Priority Club members can enjoy a Check out at 14:00. It is therefore difficult to give you a room until 09:00. Indeed, our teams work under pressure to satisfy our customers, but they cannot ask customers to leave our hotel faster to give you your room. We did our best to give you a room at 13:00.

We inform you that two wardrobes are available in the room where you put the photos. They do not represent reality. The wi-fi was disconnected for 1 hour for maintenance reasons. Sorry, our fault for a better and faster wi-fi. Breakfast respect Holiday Inn standards and offers, 8 hot drinks, 3 variety of cereals, 3 kinds of pastries, 4 types of bread, sausages, eggs, fresh fruit juice, fruit and cookies ...

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor and we wish you a pleasant stay within IHG Priority Club membership.

Resident Manager

Reviewed September 5, 2012

This has to be worse customer service I have experienced at a hotel in years. I am a National Sales Director and travel extensively with work, and also for pleasure with my family, and I have never come across such a poorly managed hotel. I am a huge fan of IHG hotels, and also a Priority Club Platinum Elite Member, and always choose the IHG brand where possible. I hope that someone senior at IHG reads this review, and acts on it, as this hotel damages the excellent reputation that IHG has. I will start with the positive points first, and then detail all of the negatives.

Positive Points:
1. The hotel location is good for Metro access/walking to the Champs Elysees area. The Metro station is a 2 minute walk from the hotel.
2. Generally, the hotel is in good decorative condition, and has been recently refurbished.
3. The double bed was comfortable.

Negative Points:
1. The customer service at this hotel is the worse I have ever experienced, and I am sure this has a lot to do with the hotel manager Nathalie Baudin, and how the staff are trained & managed.
2. The rooms are very small, poorly air-conditioned and are in need of some repair. We had the hotel's 'Premiere Suite' which had bath & sink plugs that didn't work, a shower that was so low and weak, you had to duck your head to use it. The bath filled up from the shower water, as we couldn't open the plug to let the water out. This room had an advertised price of Euro 1200, which is laughable.
3. The advertised free wifi in the hotel didn't work, so we couldn't connect to the internet.
4. In our experience, you do not get the room that you have booked, even though it was confirmed weeks in advance, and double checked by us on the phone on the day of arrival. We had booked 2 interconnecting rooms, 1 that could sleep 2 people, and the other that could sleep 3. We confirmed by telephone, with a person called Benjamin, that morning, to ensure the hotel had the confirmed requirements when originally booked. When we arrived, the receptionist, Pierre More, said that we could not have the rooms we had confirmed, as it was 'Paris Law' that no more than 2 people can sleep in any 1 room. I explained that this was incorrect as we had stayed on numerous occasions previously in Paris with 2 interconnecting rooms sleeping 5 people. He then telephoned the hotel manager, Nathalie Baudin, to check the situation, and she said that the only option available to us was to book an addition 3rd bedroom, which I said was not an option, as our youngest child is aged 13, and I was not happy for her to sleep alone in a room, on a different floor from the rest of the family. I asked to speak with the manager to discuss the situation, and was refused, and was also told that Mrs Baudin will not speak directly with hotel customers! We noticed on the hotel board near reception that they were advertising rooms that sleep 3 people, and asked why we were buying lied to about the supposed 'Paris Law' of only 2 people in any room. The receptionist relented and gave us a room that slept 4 people, and another room on a different floor that slept 2 - not the ideal way to spend the last night of a 2 week family holiday in France and Spain.
5. As a very regular customer of IHG I resent being lied to by the receptionist, and also that the manager refused to speak with me, and couldn't spare 2 minutes to discuss the situation, although she spoke with the receptionist for over 10 minutes.
6. When I asked Pierre the receptionist where there was secure parking, he told me the nearest car park was a 15 minute walk away at the Champs Elysees, however when I checked on my car's sat nav, it showed an underground, secure overnight car park just 5 minutes walk away at the end of the same road the hotel was located on. Why would the hotel receptionist direct to a car park a lot further away than one at the end of the road?

We have previously stayed in the outer areas of Paris in 2 IHG hotels, Holiday Inn Versailles, and Holiday Inn Marne Vallee near EuroDisney, and have always had an excellent experience. We have never had any problems at any other hotel to have 2 interconnecting rooms to sleep 5 (2 adults & 3 children), and in fact this is one of the attractions of these IHG hotels. We recommend you staying at any other hotel than the Holiday Inn Elysees, and that IHG senior management do something quickly to put in effective/customer focussed management and staff at Holiday Inn Elysees.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Faz S

Dear Faz S,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay with. I am deeply sorry you received service that was less than satisfactory. We are hospitality professionals and pride ourselves on delivering world class service. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Zelyn N

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Firstly, Hotel is extremely difficult to find and after eventually ringing for directions, the Parisian receptionist was very matter of fact and condescending ........If only we knew there was more to come of this attitude. We arrived at the hotel at 8.30 p.m. with 3 children - all very tired after a long drive from South of France. We had booked 2 interconnecting rooms with an extra bed over 4 weeks ago, and even checked by phoning the hotel directly (on the drive up that morning) that they had this booking requirements confirmed. On arrival at the hotel - the receptionist said as we are a family of 5 - we needed to 'buy' a third room as rooms only accommodated 2 people. We challenged this saying that we had stayed in Holiday Inns all the way down to Spain and all the way back up and this is the ONLY Holiday Inn that has ever said this. Normally Holiday Inns are very welcoming and put in an extra fold away bed - no questions asked. BUT NOT THIS HOTEL.......he was adamant he wouldn't let us have our original booking and wouldn't let us stay until we had 'bought' a 3rd room. Eventually he said we could have the suite (for 4 people) and another room on a diffierent floor!
The receptionist wouldn't let my husband check the rooms to see if a fold away bed could go in - saying we needed to check in before any room could be seen.
The receptionist called his manager who refused to speak to us! Even though we are platinum elite IHG members.
In the end, as it was now approaching 10p.m - we agreed to the suite/ second room to which the receptionist then said it wasn't an option anymore as his manager had said no !!!! So again we needed to 'buy' (in his words) a 3rd room.
Disgraceful service! The receptionist said it was French law to only have 2 people per room. They advertise on the board outside the hotel - triple rooms - rooms for 3 people??!! We have stayed in other hotels in Paris and throughout France and they all allow 3 children in the interconnecting room.
The hotel is so focussed on 'selling' rooms they have completely lost any form of customer service. We can't be the first people who have arrived at the hotel to be asked to 'buy' another room and we certainly won't be the last till the management of this hotel is changed. DON'T BOOK HERE UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO BE TOLD WHEN YOU ARRIVE THAT YOU NEED TO PAY MORE FOR ALTERNATIVE ROOM/S.

Check out other reviews - we are not alone in our dissappointment at the standard of service from this hotel. Case managers from Holiday Inn/ IHG reply and apologise but there doesn't seem to be any action taken/ improvement from the hotel management.

7  Thank PrincessJaz
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Paris Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear PrincessJaz,

Thank you for being a Platinum Priority Club Rewards Member and for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights on business. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful. I was given a room facing the road - bit worried - although it turned out OK! I wasnt disturbed by the noise at all.

The room had everything that was needed. Amenities, TV, kettle, cups (no coffee or tea for a day......) comfy bed, free wifi (not that amazing) and a warm room. The shower was great and the bathroom was modern. There was a choice of pillows on the bed and plenty of storage possibilities.

I went to breakfast the next morning and wished I had bought my coat, this place was freezing! (February) The food was acceptable and the coffee was nice. The pastries were fresh and the choice of cereal was lovely.

I'd stay at this hotel for business once again, it's in a good location.

Room Tip: HIgh floor
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank cd0282
Reviewed August 22, 2012

So disappointed .... I have never been so upset at a hotel before. We were assigned rooms on the ground level. My bed was 3 feet from the window which was next to the street. The traffic noise was terrible. I could not sleep all night.

When I asked the front desk to see if we could move, he said that there were no rooms available and that it would be the same.

We stayed only 2 nights as planned...but if we had booked more nights, I think I would have abandoned my prepayment and left.

Room Tip: Don't stay on ground floor if you want a quiet sleep.
2  Thank Clownfish88
DirectionHI, Directrice des Opérations at Holiday Inn Paris Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Madam,

We sincerely apologize for your disappointment during your stay in our hotel.
We decided to give you two connected rooms, located on the ground floor, because all our guests enjoy their space and comfort. But you have shown that the noise of the city strongly disturbed you during these 2 days in Paris (a very quiet period in August).
We are very surprised because no customer reported this problem until now. Furthermore, our hotel was full during this weekend and we couldn’t change your room, if it had been possible, we would have made it but unfortunately we couldn’t.
Our hotel enjoys an exceptional location, in the heart of Paris but we never received complaint for noise. We call our carpenter in order to make an audit of our locking systems that have been faulty during your stay. We are deeply sorry for not being able to satisfy you, but we insist on the fact that for your wedding anniversary, we tried to do the best and gave you our larger rooms. Unfortunately we could not make you happy and hope that, despite this first experience, you will return to stay at Holiday Inn Paris Elysees. Our desire to do the best is manifested daily by all our staff and we regret again your disappointment. Sincerely. Mrs Baudin. Director.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Excellent hotel, I agree with other reviews that the rooms are small but not so small as to make it uncomfortable. Staff were great with directions and willingness to store bags on both our arrival and departure days. The location was excellent, it was short walk to a lot of great sites and was in an interesting niegbourhood. Only downside was the parking, (despite what the Holiday Inn Priority Club operators may tell you there is no parking on-site) and at 34 Euros a day it adds up pretty quickly.

1  Thank jkphillip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paris
Odeon / Saint-Michel
Holiday Inn Paris - Notre Dame
Bercy / Nation
Holiday Inn Paris Gare de Lyon Bastille
Best Western Issy Porte De Versa...
#8 of 12 in Issy-les-Moulineaux
Opera / Bourse
Holiday Inn Paris Opera-Grands Boulevards
Hotel Elysees 8
#296 of 1,809 in Paris

Been to Holiday Inn Paris Elysees? Share your experiences!