“Wow!! What an amazing place!”

Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux
Ranked #25 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
London
“Wow!! What an amazing place!”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We headed over to Paris for an overnight visit as were having dinner with some friends who live in the 15th. We wanted something a bit special with secure parking.

We were upgraded to a Junior Suite which was fantastic, gorgeous, stunning! I love interior design and was actually quite speechless for once. I was skipping around the room at one point!

As many have already pointed out the location was a 15 minute stroll from the Eiffel Tower which was perfect for us as we were only there overnight and weren’t on some crazy tourist trip. Perfect location if you drive over as you quite literally turn off the motorway into town, 10 mins in and you’re there. A very quiet affluent area.

It was probably the best night’s (hotel) sleep I’ve had in a long time in the biggest bed I’ve ever slept in although it was the attention to detail in the décor that quite astounded me.

If I’m going to be really picky I would have expected the concierge to be a bit quicker of the mark in coming down the steps to meet us. We were out of the car and taking our overnight bag in before anyone acknowledged we’d arrived (with the sound of our car’s exhaust you’d hear us a mile away).

We also had lunch in the Library bar however the service was quite slow. They brought us coffee when we’d ordered champagne and we waited 30 mins for our croque monsieur (I’d drunk my champagne by the time the food came).

Booked through Mr and Mrs Smith we had 2 x complimentary cocktails vouchers which was a nice touch.

Don’t ever like to go back to the same place twice but this would be worth it for a special romantic stay.

2 Thank Lovelylass38
YvesMonnin, Directeur général at Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for choosing to experience the Saint James Paris and for this extremely kind and enthusiastic review. We are happy to read that your liked our “crazy-chic” décor imagined by Bambi Sloan as well as the calm of the property. I am truly sorry that our valets were not able to meet you immediately as you pulled up and that you experienced a delay at the Library-bar. We have taken your comments into account and will do our very best to avoid such situations in the future.
Should you change your mind about not staying at the same place twice, we would be delighted to welcome you back.

Yves Monnin, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is walking distance a lots famous places for example Eiffel tower and Chams Elysee.Dekor was so modern.The food service and staff helped us .They were so kind thank you all.The library bar the decor and elegance makes you feel like at home in 1920s Paris definitely a place to go in paris and I think it was popular.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank marrachel
Dear guests,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your kind review. We are all glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the décor of our home. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The St.James was an obvious choice for a romantic honeymoon getaway for a couple of nights. The location is not quite central but still close to a lovely park and the Eiffel tower and easy enough for the metro.

The whole of the hotel has been finished to a marvelous standard, very opulent and chic without being ostentatious or pretentious - a difficult balance. The central staircase is simply amazing.

We stayed in the Pavillion D'Amour after a generous upgrade from a junior suite. It was one of the gatehouses to the property and was on 3 floors with a spa in the basement (with a steam room and the largest bath I've seen - even had a remote control). Everything else in the room was fantastic, period furniture, tasteful fabrics and silk wallpaper with a great bed.

My only grumbles were perhaps little things but when you are paying over £800 a night for a room, you might expect not to worry about? Room service was s l o w, sometimes I had to ring 3 times and wait half-an-hour to get a response, dirty plates and glasses were not cleared out of the room after room service had been in (and then not replaced when they were), the ironing board (when it did arrive) was older than the hotel (and then left for the duration of our stay despite being asked twice to have it removed). There were other things but I don't want to spoil the review - perhaps they were short staffed that weekend?

Definitely a place to go in Paris and I think it was popular judging by the hardware parked outside. Lovely ambiance and grounds - but be prepared to pay and wait a little time for room service!

4 Thank Alastair G
Dear Mr Gilchrist,

First of all, thank you very much for choosing the Saint James Paris for your honeymoon and for describing our house and the Pavillon d’Amour in such flattering terms. I would also like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered and to ensure you that these are by no means representative of the quality of service we offer and are recognized for. I am at your disposal should you wish to share the details of your experience with me. In any case, we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon for a truly perfect stay.

Maricopa, Arizona
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Iv'e stayed in Hotels all over the world and I always try to find something that is unique with great amenities and service. This Hotel just rose to the top of my list and is my favorite thus far.The location is in perfect walking distance to Eiffel Tower and Champs Elysee. It is decorated very traditional but whimsical and at the same time invokes the energy of a childrens party.You feel as though you are visiting a family member because of the coziness and warmth of the decor.The food, service and staff help was impeccable! I couldn't wait to get back to the Hotel at the end of the day, and here I am in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.This Hotel is a real treat and everyone should experience a Hotel like this one.

Room Tip: Staff will do it for you, they are amazing!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Nina D
Dear Ms D.,

Thank you so much for experiencing the Saint James Paris and for your praising review! Our whole team is delighted to read that we are on the top of your list, as we do our best to help our guests feel at home in our whimsical little chateau.
We look forward to becoming your personal address in the capital!

Gilbert
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights at the chateau. Its truly unique, beautiful and the staff is very helpful and pleasant. The location is very close to the Port Dauphine metro and a 20 min walk to the Eiffel Tower.

The library bar, the decor and the elegance makes you feel at home in 1920s Paris with all the modern day conveniences.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Ryan K
YvesMonnin, Directeur général at Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Mr K.,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for this very kind review! We all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Nice quiet location away from the maddening bustle of ten thousand tourists, yes. That is a plus.Walking distance to Arc de Triumphe, Champs Elysee etc, rue Victor Hugo and all that. Yes again. Great looking chateau from the street - tick - but, thats kind of where this ends.
On stepping inside this magnificent building, I am totally lost.
When it came to the bedroom - what were they thinking ? The room we stayed in was a unpalatable mix of Rob Roy meets Moulin Rouge. The leopard print fabric walls had all the aesthetic appeal of a night in a bordello but when combined with the scottish tartan bed fabrics and awnings, the faux oak parquetry 'carpets' , the metallic tiled bathroom, and bright red accents, I was left feeling decidedly tacky, and more like a late night out with a drunken 'famous french designer' in the midst of his kilt wearing phase..and 'experimental' at best. I cant see how any interior design team could tick this off as a good idea for a 5 star hotel..
The library bar was elegant and very pleasant, and the staff were helpful and polite, of this I compliment them. But to stay in Paris and want to desperately get out of my hotel room all the time, is not the romantic weekend I envisaged. And cheap throw blankets at the foot of the bed leave me always with a nagging cleanliness and hygene question, similarly dark corners and low lighting the same.
It may just be a matter of personal taste, for sure, but I want an elegant and luxurious feel to my Parisian hotel experiences - this one left me particularly uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Wear dark sunglasses at all times...and you may not notice the decor.
11 Thank EmaJayKay
Dear Madam,

Thank you for recognizing the service of our staff and the atmosphere of the library-bar in your review. I am sorry to read that you did not feel at ease in the “Last Queen of Scots”, inspired by Giles Foden’s novel “the Last King of Scotland”, especially since each room is unique. Had we received any notice during your stay that your room did not suit you, we would have been pleased to offer you another one.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is a very special hotel. The location is central as we were able to walk to the Arc de Triomphe and take cabs elsewhere at a decent price. The hotel itself is like a movie setting. It was the former residence of the President of France and still holds the grandeur and elegance of a fine chateau.Service was superb. My wife and I stayed there for 6 nights. Our dinner in the restaurant was the best that we had in Paris....and we ate at some darn good restaurants in town. Service was fabulous. The staff and concierge go out of their way to assist you and make you at home. Our room was splendidly decorated. We really couldn't have asked for more. We wouldn't stay anywhere else on our return to Pari.

2 Thank bell34
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much to your wife and you for choosing to stay with us and for this extremely kind review. We are truly glad you liked the décor of our little chateau, the cuisine by Virginie Basselot and the service of our teams. We all look forward to welcoming you back and to becoming your home in Paris.