“Surprisingly Excellent”

Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux
Ranked #18 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Double upgrade. Authentic staff, very responsive service, food was exceptional, exceeded expectations! quiet neighborhood, peaceful at night, easy access to du centre-ville.

I would stay here again anytime...

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank AndrewJohnHarrison
YvesMonnin, Directeur général at Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Mr Harrison,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for this very kind review. I am glad to read that our services actually exceeded your expectations. It will be our pleasure to welcoming you back anytime!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I had the privilege of spending one night at this lovely hotel recently. I was en route to Switzerland for work, and wanted somewhere to relax, splurge a little, and get pampered a bit. It was also Paris fashion week – so what better cause? The hotel staff were great, and I am particularly thankful for Nicolas Egloff for his hospitality and aid with booking. The location is a bit far, but given that I was only there for a short duration, I had taxis called to the hotel, which was quite convenient. Note: the Concierge also had ready-to-use tickets for most of the museums in Paris, which is fantastic, as it saves you loads of time by bypassing the long lines (a must for the experienced traveler!). I wish I had known this as I was attempting to purchase the tickets on my own upstairs… (Note: the hotel Wi-Fi can be a bit spotty). Upon my return, there was a lovely bottle of chilled white wine waiting for me in my suite. Pity I’m 16 weeks pregnant and cannot drink! In any case, the service was superb, and I was particularly impressed with the hotel’s room service (rates were also very reasonable).
As a fashion and lifestyle blogger, I often try and sample luxe lodgings around the world (http://www.rockshic.com/my-blog/luxe-lodgings), and I would definitely rank this place among the top!

For more details and photos, see my feature here on the St. James Hotel:

For more general travel tips on Paris:

Room Tip: I particularly liked my room (Room #306) -- great view and wonderful decor! I think the staff defin...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank RockShic

Dear Eva,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us during your short fashion & beauty stop-over. Nicolas and I also thank you for choosing to write a review on the Saint James Paris on your blog and for testifying about your stay with us on TripAdvisor. Be sure we will all be delighted to welcome you back with your family when you travel to Paris again.

With our best wishes,

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We spent 3 great nights in this simply beautiful accommodation, first time I think I can say we found nothing that we were unhappy with, from the location, room, people and service received were all of a high standard. This Accommodation has become our benchmark against which to judge all our future stays.

Next time we are in Paris there will be no checking on where we will be staying but will be heading directly to the Saint James Paris.

Room Tip: Their web site provides a good indication on room lay-out and position.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tony R

Dear guests,

Thank you very much for choosing us and for taking the time to post this very kind review! Our team is very proud you will use the Saint James Paris to compare you future stays in other properties. We look forward to welcoming you back regularly and to becoming your home in Paris.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is definitely the best hotel I have stayed at, ever.

My boyfriend surprise me with a weekend in Paris and my mouth drop when we arrive at the Saint james hotel. Just the building is amazing, the staff is very friendly and helpful.
And the rooms... We were lucky to be upgraded to a suite and it was beautiful. Split over two floors , with a sitting room downstairs and the bedroom and bathroom upstairs.
The bar and restaurant were really nice as well.
On Saturday my boyfriend proposed after having breakfast in our room, so as you can imagine i will never forget this hotel.
We will come back for sure, I can't wait.
It is an expensive hotel, but worth every penny.
The metro station is only 2 min walk from the hotel and you can walk to the Eiffel tower and Arc del triumph within 20 minutes, perfect!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrodri81

Dear guest,

Thank you very much to you and your boyfriend for staying with us and for this extremely kind review! We are very happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us to the point you think it was your best stay in a hotel, ever! We all look forward to welcoming you back regularly for further romantic escapades in the city of love.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have been saving this review for a while as I had a hard time composing words to describe my stay. Let's begin by saying, isn't it every girl's dream to stay in a castle/chateau? Well, this is exactly what my boyfriend did. He found the only chateau in the middle of Paris for us to stay. I was exceptionally happy when he surprised me as we arrived in Paris and pulled up to this magnificent property. Grand old chateau building, with a grand fountain in front. The hotel/chateau is gracefully decorated not to lose it's traditional charm, but also has some artistic touches. When walking in, the red, black and white majestic staircase make you feel as if you are truly royalty claiming a piece of Parisian history. My boyfriend, who is part of the reciprocal club was automatically upgraded to a jr suite, which was quite large. Huge bedroom, skylight, traditional bathroom and large lounge area (had a forest theme to it, but nicely done. Not tacky). Nice toiletries as they were Lanvin. We also were sent a complimentary bottle of white wine on ice. We also experienced the breakfast buffet in their restaurant dinning room, which was quite classy. Unfortunately, we did not have enough time to try out the spa, or have a drink in their library bar, which I did see though, and did look spectacular. The service was excellent, as the front desk was polite, and helpful. The general manager did email to follow up, which was nice of him. The chateau is renovated, but still has old charm, and very refined. I would recommend this hotel to everyone, and would love to come back again. On one last sentimental note...this is the place my boyfriend proposed to me... "every girl's dream to be proposed in a chateau/castle happened to me here." Thank you Saint James for the grand setting, by the staircase. When I think of Paris, I will always have the Saint James, and a memory of a lifetime as I felt like a princess living the life of renaissance royalty. My fiance, and I will be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jia24

Dear Jia,

Thank you very much for this very touching review! We are delighted you felt our setting and the atmosphere we provided were right for this very unique moment. We all send our wishes for a lifetime of happiness and look forward to welcoming you and your future husband back to celebrate the many anniversaries to come while treating yourselves at the Gemology spa, the library-bar or the restaurant by Virginie Basselot! Please consider the Saint James your home in Paris.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We spent a couple of nights here just after New Year and after having experimented with various Parisian hotels I can't believe I've only just around to staying at the Saint James. Driving through the gates (already an unusual phenomenon in central Paris) and parking slap bang in front of the door to have staff scurry around collecting your bags is a good start. The place has a cool history and the hot air balloon theme runs throughout the property as a subtle reminder. As we were staying with our young son, we had a two room suite somewhere high up and enjoyed having not only a lovely bathroom but also a second bath in the bedroom which was amusingly decorated by criss crossing bits of the "Eiffel Tower", it was a fun scene. The room albeit freshly renovated was, however, a bit stuffy, the ceiling was low and there wasn't an awful lot of natural light. The biblio bar, by contrast, was a great place to relax and enjoy a mini burger and a good G&T after a long drive to Paris. Staff were always charming and subtle and ever present in the background. Where some Parisian hotels are a bit snooty, this one was almost too relaxed, I was dismayed to see an arrogant looking businessman with his feet on the table and no one batting an eye. Otherwise, we loved staying here and will happily return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Château du P

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Saint James Paris with your family and for taking the time to post this very kind review. We are glad our décor and services were up to your expectations. I don't know if we are "the best" but be sure this is what we aim at and work for on a daily basis! For your next stay we will be glad to show you rooms on other floors, as each of them is unique. I am confident we will find the absolute perfect fit for you!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed at the Saint James on February 14 for a few days. As you enter the gates of the property you get impressed by the beauty of the building and the fabulous fountain in the front. The hotel is surrounded by a wall which makes it more exclusive and protected from the outside traffic. The residential location (16 district) was perfect for us since we did not want to be in the middle of the tourist areas. It was nice to experience Paris from a local point of view. Avenue Foch, home to many of the City's wealthy residents, elegant buildings, bakeries, shops, metro and taxi are walking distance from hotel.
The location is perfect as it is only a 20 minute walk to the Arc de Triumphe and Champs Elysees. The staff of the hotel was very kind to us. We were professionally greeted at the front desk. We were given an up grade for both of our rooms to 2 beautiful junior suites. My husband loved the Nespresso coffee in the room. The sheets, towels and toiletries are of top quality as the decor. The bathroom was large and very comfortable. It is a very intimate refined hotel. We did not miss any of the other more luxurious alternatives in Paris. The concierge was excellent giving us maps, booking dinners and calling for taxi cabs. The library is gorgeous and it is a great place to chill after dinner. We had great drinks every night until late hours. Even though we did not use it, the hotel has a great size gym and spa.
I sincerely recommend this hotel to anyone that appreciates antiques, refinement and an intimate atmosphere.

Antonella
Global Travel Int.
North Palm Beach - Florida

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank italiawithstyle

Dear Antonella,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for this great review. A true testimony by a luxury travel professional like you is very valuable for us. We all look forward to welcoming you and your husband back and are at your disposal should you choose to recommend our Relais & Châteaux property to your clients.