“We were treated like Royalty!”

Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux
Ranked #19 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights as part of our 10th anniversary trip . Like many other reviews, we were upgraded to a suite upon arrival with a bottle of wine waiting on Ice upon entering the room. We arrived very early on our flight from Rome and the hotel staff did a great job getting us into our room way before check in as we were exhausted and also needed to freshen up before we hit the Louvre.

The concierge Pascal was extremely helpful in securing dinner reservations. He was also able to get us into the Moulin Rouge on very short notice when I was told the show was sold out.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a Romantic Paris Getaway. Thanks again for the great hospitality, we hope to visit you again in the future!

6  Thank Docraf99
YvesMonnin, Directeur général at Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear guests,

Thank you very much for selecting our little chateau as part of your Anniversary trip!
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the services provided by our teams, especially our concierges Clefs d’Or. Thank you also for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor; we all look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Yves Monnin, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,254)

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Fortunately, this gem hasn't been discovered by celebrities yet. We spent the week of New Year's 2012 there.

In the past, my guy had stayed at Le Crillion which was as fancy but not as intimate as this hotel. Our upgraded suite was the perfect solution for us. Posh decor and a bi-level corner suite (rm 506) offered two TVs and two WCs plus Nespresso coffee, something we adored every morning as we prepared for another day in Paris. As Americans, we loved the temperature controls which were different for the bedroom, bathroom and living area. Antique fixtures and furniture are playfully accented by animal prints to create a welcoming ambiance

Christian, the concierge, secured reservations for ballet and for exclusive restaurants, obtaining best seats in advance, when I sent an email weeks ahead from the states. Christian also recommended a New Year's Eve dinner barge that was extraordinary. The exceptional service was evident in the library bar and in the reception area. Drinks are a bit pricey ($20 for a glass of wine, $20 for a martini) in the library bar so we went for other options.

Each night, we returned to the lovely estate with the uplights on the building and fountain, all which looked regal.

The location of this hotel is particularly nice, in a residential area of the 16th and near a Metro stop. Taxis can use the beltway (Peripherique) without delay. It was 30 minutes to CDG.

We are talking about our next trip already and wouldn't stay elsewhere due to the high level of service.

7  Thank Ginger W

Dear guests,

On behalf of our entire team, I thank you very much for staying with us and for publishing this detailed review about our property, its décor, services and location. Our aim is to offer our guests tailored services in an intimate atmosphere and to help them feel at home rather than in a hotel. Being both a Relais & Châteaux property and a private club helps us to keep this very special intimacy and I can assure you that the spirit of the Saint James will remain unchanged for your upcoming stays!
Looking forward to becoming your Paris hideway,

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed at this hotel during Christmas and was pleasantly surprised. Over exceeded my expectations and would certainly come back. Staff went the extra mile and we were upgraded From Junior suite to suite once they realised it was my wife and I's anniversary. First time overnight stay in Paris and love this city. Decor was tasteful and very clean. MThe only thing I will change next time is that we will come back for longer and at THIS HOTEL. Thank you.

Room Tip: Suite are to die for
2  Thank PeterPJ1958
YvesMonnin, Directeur général at Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Saint James Paris for your wife’s birthday and for taking the time to post this very kind review. We are all glad to read that we did - not only meet- but exceed your expectations. You absolutely need to come back for longer next time as there are so many places to discover! We will all be waiting for you at our little chateau that we hope will become your home in Paris.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at Saint James from 29th Dec – 1st Jan and I have to say it is the most wonderful hotel I have EVER stayed at. We were upgraded to a suite on arrival and it was just spectacular, like nothing else I have ever seen. The hotel is perfectly suited too, very close to all main attractions so much so that we walked everywhere during our stay.

Not only is this hotel breath-taking due to its fantastic décor but also because of the staff, reception are very friendly and helpful, the cleaning level is fantastic and most importantly the concierge service is second to none. The concierge staff were so helpful and knowledgeable, they booked fantastic restaurant’s for us during our stay and even managed to find us a place to eat on New Year’s Eve. If you are going to Paris you must stay at the hotel and if you have already booked your accommodation you must just go to sample the most amazing cocktails in the library bar.

We will be visiting this hotel again, words cannot describe how good it is.

2  Thank Zoe W

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to post this very enthusiastic review about our Relais & Châteaux property. Each of our guests is unique and deserves to be welcomed and served accordingly, so it is a great pleasure for us to read that we managed to beat all your previous experiences! Our Clefs d’Or concierge team, all our staff and I look forward to serving you again often in the future.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed at Saint James Paris on NYE and I have to say without question it is the best hotel I have stayed in. Everything from the amazing staff to the upgrade to a suite on arrival (suite 509 if you want something special), to the bottle of champagne waiting in a our room, the hotel was truly first class. I will definately be pushing this hotel to my clients for stays in Paris and will hopefully be back for a stay before 2013 is out...
Thank you again Saint James Paris u made our New Years Eve very very special....

2  Thank Mark B

Dear Mr B.,

On behalf of all the team, I would like to thank you very much for choosing the Saint James Paris for your stay and for posting this amazing review which makes us all very proud! We do our best to ensure each of our guests has an experience similar to yours and it will be our pleasure to have your clients stay with us.
We are all at your disposal anytime and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I am writing this review sitting in the hotel room at the Saint James in Paris. We still have a few more days left of our 5 day stay. I chose the Saint James because I wanted a fairly central hotel with a bit of glamour as it is our children's first visit to Europe from Australia.

The Chateau certainly has plenty of the "wow factor" that our kids love, the castle like features, lovely dining room, lovely library and good rooms especially if you choose a suite like we did, of course this all comes at a cost. The girls love having the baby grand in the room and it does add a touch of pinache, also the atrium was great especially as our chidren are young, 6 and 8 and we can put them to bed in the lounge room on the convertible couch and we then can have a curtained off casual room to ourselves without having to cram into the bedroom.

The suite (Room 510) is large at around 78sqm, but only a couple of small porthole windows (being on the top floor in the turret area), this is offset by the atrium which is completely glass and adds plenty of light, also the interior designer has used plenty of mirrors to also create a lighter feeling. There is a separate bathroom and toilet, large bedroom and very large lounge area with the baby grand piano, couch that then leads to the atrium with two small lounges table and chairs in wrought iron. The design focus seems to be quirky, french provincial hotel style, overall very attractive. Some of the finishes in the room I thought could have been completed to a higher standard, for example the main closet looks like painted particle board, not in keeping with the rest of the detail. I also found it very difficult to control the temperature, the rooms are quite warm and I have fiddled with the aircon controls but it feels like Sydney during a warm night. I did ask if someone could look at it, not sure anyone did but perhaps it is better, maybe the top floors accumulate the heat? NB: it is winter at the moment.

However, the most disappointing aspect of our room has been noise from neighbouring guests, mainly in the atrium and living area, but this is also where our daughters sleep. Just now I have been listening to the neighbours have loud conversations in a fairly normal way and I have been sitting here anxiously hoping the children won't wake up as it is very loud, almost like they are in the same room. I must say the way hotels deal with room noise is my number one weighting of a hotel experience. I am not sure how the girls can play the baby grand and not annoy the guests to the right as I can hear their TV and laughter. In a hotel like the Saint James this is my number one disappointment leading to quite a bit of anxiety as I would prefer a quiet cheap hotel rather than a noisy expensive one. That being said......

We've had dinner and breakfast in the main dining room a few times and overall it has been a pleasant experience, the waiting staff have always been pleasant and treated our two girls very nicely like little princesses. The girls have loved how the hotel cat Pilou wanders from room to room as though he owns the place, especially around the dining areas. The breakfast menu is straightforward and most of the time we have been happy with the selection of pastries that come to our table without having to ask for them (viennoiseries) without requiring to order anything else. The coffee I am still getting used to as I am more familiar with Italian style coffee and I am not sure what the equivalent French version is Latte versus caffe la creme. Either way the espresso extraction isn't quite there, but acceptable.

For dinner the girls dined with us in the dining room which takes on a more serious tone for lunch and dinner with a signature chef etc. We really appreciated that the girls could choose from the less expensive menu associated with the bar as they have food restrictions and the fine dining would have been a waste. Our food was very good, and it should have been as the prices are not cheap, beautifully presented fois gras in apple jelly and crab and passionfruit. The staff were very good and the maitre d and Cami the waitress in particular I thought did a great job. Our girls drew pictures for them in appreciation.

The location for us was great, went to Louvre today on the Metro very easy and only a few minutes walk to the station. Walked to the Eiffel Tower with the kids no problem at all. We like walking so it has been very convenient. and secluded at the same time. The concierge gave us plenty of information and helped us with tickets to the Louvre and Musee Dorsee.

Overall our experience has been good, significantly tainted with the noise issue, perhaps we have lucked out with the neighbouring guests? Hopefully the girls won't wake up and I won't be worrying through the night so we can have a few more good days, but 'at the end of the day' I really shouldn't have to worry about it!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Warwick N

Dear Mr N.,

We thank you very much for choosing the Saint James Paris and for this honest review. We truly value your taking the time to post a thorough description of our facilities and services and are glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and Pilou overall.
You are right: our guests should not have to worry about noise; this is the reason why we handled the situation right away.
The guests staying next door that night were extremely noisy and disrespectful. Sadly, this is not something we could have anticipated.
As you know, we went to see them right away to have the noise stopped and kept in touch with you all along. The next morning, we had these clients move to another suite and took 50% off your nightly rate to try to make up for the disturbance they had caused to you.
We are truly sorry that for a few hours you had abnormally loud neighbours.
We hope you had a safe trip back down under and look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Second visit to the St James and it was unbelievably good. Fantastic room with one of the most comfortable beds ever. Bar and restaurant were exceptional. Every member of staff from management to the cleaners are very polite and happy to be of service.

We shall definitely return for a 3rd time visit very soon!

Room Tip: At the front overlooking the fountain.
2  Thank Wol
YvesMonnin, General Manager at Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for staying with us again and for your enthusiastic review. We are truly glad you enjoyed your previous stays with us and look forward to serving you again soon in your Paris home.