WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Updated since the last time I stayed there so a much better expereince” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Abbatial Saint Germain

Hotel Abbatial Saint Germain
Ranked #495 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
Vancouver, Canada
“Updated since the last time I stayed there so a much better expereince”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at the Abbatial Saint Germain two years ago and was not impressed -- thus I was not looking forward to a return visit, but my travel group wanted to. I was pleasently surprised, as in the two years since I was there they have updated the rooms and improved the quality of the beds and pillows and I think updated their air conditioning unit. A word of caution, each time the cleaners came in to make up the room they would turn the a/c off -- not impressed, as it was really hot in Paris (in the 30's) and we would come back to a stuffy hot room. As a paying guest, I expect to have a comfortable room at ALL TIMES -- if I leave the a/c on, they should NOT turn it off. Breakfast was served by the same Dragon Lady as it was two years ago -- she has a tendancy to make you wait for long periods of time, but the breakfast itself is pretty good. Our group (there were 7 of us) was also able to gather in the area next to the check in desk each night to enjoy a "pre dinner" bottle of wine, so it was nice to have a space to do that. Overall, I would go back again as I have changed my opinion from the first time I stayed there where given a choice I would not have returned.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Brit Abroad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was really pleased with this hotel - my room was a good size considering it was a single, and the staff were all very helpful. Also the location was great for sightseeing in Paris and meeting up with my friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I was effected by the air traffic control strikes in June 2013. I emailed the hotel and told them my flight might be cancelled. When it was, I told them that I couldn't make the first night of my reservation and would be arriving the next night at 11:30pm. I expressly asked them to confirm that my reservation would be held, and they replied "of course it would".

Guess what? I turned up at 11:30pm, as I said I would, and our room had been given away. A room that we had fully prepaid for. That is not what you need after the hassle of cancelled flights, detours and a late night arrival, particularly when you have done everything possible to ensure that exact situation did not arise.

We were relocated to the nearby and related Abbatial Agora. Even though it was close by, that is irrelevant. I was extremely let down by this absolute failure of basic reservation management.

I have a favorable review of Abbatial Agora though, so I'm not entirely miserable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank James D
Needham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

My sister and I were traveling and stayed here for 4 nights. The room was relatively small but it didn't feel cramped because we spent most of our time walking around the city. The concierges all spoke wonderful English and were all very eager to help us (with easy and convenient recommendations). The hotel is located near many of the tourist attractions and if the attractions were not near us (like Versailles), the metro stops are close to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

We found this hotel to be clean, and the staff courteous and helpful. Ask for a room off of the main street. Our room #12, although on the side street, was very quiet. Rooms are a bit small compared to US rooms, but quite reasonable for a moderately priced hotel in Paris. Location is one block from a Metro stop and walking distance from Notre Dame There is a very good, moderately priced restaurant to the right when facing the hotel entrance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off of Blvd. Saint Germain.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank robtlinda
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Great location near the Latin Quarter and steps to the Notre Dame. We stayed there for two nights and later in the week 3 nights. The first room #26 was very nice but a bit small. On our second stay, we stayed in room 22 which was perfect. We only had one issue which was a broken hot water carafe. We mentioned it at the front desk, and on our return, there was a new carafe waiting for us. Plenty of places to eat/shop close by. There's a produce store and supermarket right across the street. Very safe area to walk around even at night. Staff was great as well and spoke fluent English. If staying more than a couple of nights, upgrade the room. Hotel has a policy that they hold onto the key when you leave which was great for us as we didn't have to worry about losing the key while sight seeing. Wifi and safes in room. Bathrooms were modern and clean

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank JimboBos
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Booked the nonrefundable rate for deluxe room. Woke up after the 1st night to leaking water from the room above. Leaking on the night table next to the bed, near the wall lamp, on top of the closet which seeped onto the top shelf. Asked to have someone come fix it. Was told the plumber had quit. Asked if they could put us in a new room, but he had to check with the manager. Came back early evening and they had moved us into another room. I asked if they got everything out, she assured me they did but since the new people hadn't checked in she could let me go check. Our passports, cash and prescriptions were still in the safe. The new room I must say had a better view, but it was a comfort room, which is very, very tiny. While I would have preferred the larger room, it wasn't that big of a deal because we were out and about most of the time anyway. Upon check out we asked if we would be refunded on the difference of cost between the 2 rooms for the 2 nights we stayed. We were told it was a non refundable room and we asked for the change. That is all true, however, we didn't want an entire refund, just the amount of the difference between the rooms for the 2 nights. All I ask is to have a room in working order and to pay the price for the type of room I am in. I was told I needed to email the manager about it, which I did. Got a reply back today that said they would give me a good promotional rate and upgraded room on my next stay.
Now for the positives. The Hotel is in a really nice location, close to #10 metro and a short walking distance to the RER B. Only a block down the street and you are at the river and bridge that crossed to Notre Dame and Saint Chapelle, and the Batobus stop. Pantheon is also a short walk away. The rooms were clean and actually quiet considering the hotel is on a busy street. However, at night the traffic is minimal so noise is not a problem. The blonde lady at the front desk was very nice and always had a smile on her face and very willing to help with any questions. WiFi was free and worked well, it had a nice reading lounge and a couple of computers for guests to use.
Overall, this is a nice hotel, great location, but in my opinion not worth the price.

Room Tip: Avoid room 14 with the water leak.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple