“Charming and quirky”

Neighborhood: Montmartre
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Charming and quirky”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

After a week of eating rich/heavy French cuisine, it was great to find somewhere offering wholesome, healthy, fresh, simple, tasty cuisine. The owner is absolutely lovely and incredibly considerate, and we both thoroughly enjoyed the experience of dining in her restaurant. We'll definitely be going back.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank WaltMc

Melbourne, Australia
“Like eating in a friends kitchen!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

My boyfriend took me to Au Grain de Folie, we were the first to arrive and we sat nestled between paper bags full of tea, health/vegetarianism articles pinned to the walls and baskets full of ingredients. It was like being in a friend's kitchen.
The food was fresh and delicious, the price was low, and the desserts were absolutely perfect. After too many meals in French restaurants with very good, but very rich sauces, fats, meats, cheeses etc. It was so refreshing to eat a meal that was simple, fresh, delicious and made with love. The desserts were just like your Mum would make!
Also, while I was waiting before the meal, I found a great little vintage store just up the road, I bought a hand-knitted vest for 10e and the waitress in Au Grain de Folie complimented me on it.
Well worth it. I think I'll go back.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Kitchenetter
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Excellent - a perfect blend of food & entertainment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

If you’re looking for somewhere different, good vegetarian food and a fantastic night out in Paris then this is the place to be. It's small, friendly and full of atmosphere, the food is freshly prepared and delicious, which combined with the service contributes to a wonderful, cosy and entertaining evening. I wouldn’t visit Paris without spending an evening here. Madam Quirk, the proprietor, is a star.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Patrick H
Paris
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Truly terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I'm not sure I need to reiterate what others have said below, but it's all true. I entered the restaurant at 830 and was told to squeeze onto a table that already looked overfull, without the owner even asking the couple sitting there if it was ok. After 0 attention for 30 minutes, a menu was slapped down on my table, after which I received no more attention for another 30 minutes. After one hour (I kid you not), my order was taken. My food was slapped down on the table after approximately 1.5 hours; my drinks were forgotten, as were the drinks of the couple next to me, and the dessert of another couple, at a table behind me.

Need I reiterate how bad the food is. Literally an assortment of cold grated carrot, cold grated cabbage, cold undercooked rice, cold, completely tasteless potatoes (and no salt in sight) and a piece of bread in the centre of the plate with some low-quality "chevre" on it. Neither were the portions generous. After waiting almost two hours, and having been hungry when I walked in, I could still hardly finish the food. It was really that awful.

This is seriously the sort of restaurant that gives vegetarian, vegan, and bio food a bad name, the kind of thing I might have made for myself if I was twelve years old and there were no spices in the house.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Karen S
Seattle, Washington
“Good veggie restaurant in the 18th arrondissement Paris.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

I suggest going to this little restaurant before the dinner rush. It's small. Not many tables. But, it's charming. Ok, it has a hippie feel. Well, it is a veggie restaurant. I'm vegan. So, I love this place. It's within walking distance of the apartment I rent in Paris. But, even if I stayed in another arrondissement I'd probably still go to Au Grain de Folie. The menu isn't huge. And, in my experience it's just better for me to say to the woman working there: I'm vegan, what's available? She does this platter thing. It's tasty. Various things, lentils, shredded carrots, shredded cabbage and seitan..... It's good food. However, not gourmet. And, the wait time, to be seated, to be served, can be lengthy. Especially during the dinner rush. Go earlier. So, if you find yourself in Montmartre, and need some good veggie food, go to Au Grain de Folie. It's especially charming on a rainy afternoon........

• Visited April 2012