“Location & nice hotel”

Hotel Saint Germain des Pres
Ranked #681 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We stayed there with my daughter. Miss Dominique was a polite and helpfull lady. It is a classic small hotel, very close to metro and nice restaurants. our room (54) was upgraded and a nice & quite big room with a nice bath. ıt was clean and all staff were nice. only the bath and also room was smelling bad, early morning.

I can advise.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed here a month ago for our first visit in Paris.

We would not recommend it - mainly due to the poor service, plain breakfast and old mould-smelling rooms. The older reception man is rude and any requests we asked of him (such as calling our tour company to confirm we were going) he managed to huff and puff throughout the entire process.

The rooms are old and it smelt like the windows hadn't been open for weeks. The beds were uncomfortable. It seems as though the room decor had not changed for centuries, but if that's your thing then you may not mind.

The breakfast was very plain - your usual breakfast cereals and some cold shavings but nothing to be happy about.

We will not be returning to this hotel on our next visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LatinaTraveller
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This little treasure has the perfect location; it's clean, cozy and still has the charm if the old world. The rooms are very small, but The staff is friendly and helpful and you are in the heart of the Latin neighborhood. You can walk to Saint Michelle, la saint Chapelle and Notre Dame. The metro is half a block away from the hotel and Les demux Magots (famous cafe) it's 50 steps from the hotel's door.

Room Tip: All the rooms are small (I've stayed here 4 or 5 times), but it's better to upgrade for a bi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, on our first visit to Paris, and we loved it! So typically Parisian! It is located in Saint Germaine des Pres, which in my opinion, is the best area to stay. Lots of bistros, cafes, and shops! We will be in Paris, once again, in Sept, and plan to stay at this lovely hotel for 3 more nights!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jbialy
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is not my first visit to this Hotel. It is my hotel of choice when going to Paris - for business or pleasure - but it is popular so I cant always get in. Theres a reason for that popularity!

On this occasion - and the reason why I decided to write a review on Trip Advisor - I arrived at the hotel at 7.30am. I was tired, dishevelled and unwell - and way too early for the normal check in time of 1pm.

I was met by a gentleman who informed me of this check in time and that I couldnt check in earlier. This came as no surprise to me, its pretty normal, so I understood this completely. I was just negotiating leaving my baggage there while I found somewhere to eat/wait, when the receptionist - Dominique - arrived.

She could see my predicament and immediately found me a room I could check into straight away. She also offered me breakfast. I could have kissed her!

How BRILLIANT is that!? I defy you to get a better outcome at any hotel, anywhere - let alone in Paris!

Throughout my stay, Dominique proved to be just the most helpful receptionist I think I ever met! A real gem, a real professional - she truly did make a difference to my visit.

As far as the hotel itself is concerned - I know of no better from a location/cost/comfort point of view. This hotels rooms and, particularly, bathroom facilities - are the best I have found in any hotel of its type. I also found the standard of cleanliness to be excellent.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone - but if its your first trip to Paris, you need to set your expectations. Rooms are small in this kind of hotel. You wont be swinging any 'chats' in any of them! Here they are uniquely, elegantly decorated in a particular style which may not be to everyones taste, but they are clean and well maintained. Bathrooms are modern and I found them roomy by Paris standards - oh and the showers work really well all the time! The lift takes one person with baggage and no more.

As for location, on the doorstep you have the best of bistros, cafe's and resteraunts - including the Deux Magots, Cafe du Flore and cafe Bonaparte, the Brasserie Lipp is just across the Boulevard St Germain and Le Petite Zinc around the corner. The Seine and the Batobus stop, the Louvre and Musee D'orsay are just short walks away and yet the Hotel is quietly situated.

I had a great time. Again. And will be back, soon, I hope.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Diane M
Reviewed June 15, 2012

After just having stayed in this hotel for three nights, my cousin and I have both gone in and come away thoroughly impressed.

From arrival to departure, the staff consistently went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. We arrived last minute at the hotel and although there was no availability for that night, they aided us in finding another nearby location for that night, until a room became available the next day.
Throughout the stay they also happily helped us with printing multiple tickets for trains and tours etc, even offering to print train timetables for us and providing directions.

The room was spotless, not to mention beautifully renovated (17th century building, I recall!) and decorated, plus very comfortable. The bathroom - although a little small - was of special mention: definitely the nicest we've seen in Paris (and the UK)! We felt secure staying there, too.

The location is the best we could've hoped for - central, near attractions like the Notre Dame, within a couple minutes walk of two key metro stations and is immediately surrounded by cafés, restaurants and everything in between. There are also multitudes of little shops down the lanes, which we loved strolling in and out of. The area also feels very safe and alive, yet still peaceful.

Least to say, we loved our stay and will both be back!!

Other mentionables:
- A free breakfast was included (although nothing too fancy)
- The wifi connection was perfect - the best we had in Paris and the UK
- Staff came to chat with guests at breakfast time, and told stories / gave some history on the area, which was very interesting

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank lutesh
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Upon us arriving and checking in, we were greeted by a snooty and overwhelmed gentleman that was way over his head. It took almost 20 min to check in because they keep track of their rooms on one book! A book that he would erase and rewrite (in pencil) who was in each room. A step back in time to say the least....

When we got into our room, the air conditioning was broken and it was the first Hot day in Paris for the summer. We had to get out of the room. The only good thing about this hotel is it's location. Which I think is their saving grace.

That night we stayed out until 2 in the morning. When we arrived at the hotel, the doors were locked and you had to ring a door bell to be let in. There was another couple that had already been waiting for 10 min before we got there. They were not happy! They ran into the same issue the night before and the night manager sleeps on the job instead of letting guests into the hotel. After waiting for 15 minutes the other couple started banging on the door and ringing the bell. Someone finally came and had the nerve of giving us attitude. A JOKE!

When returning to our room there was a bag torn apart on the floor. We figured out that a mouse got into one of our protein bars. Disgusting!!! After that experience, we could not sleep the rest of our stay. Worst Hotel in Paris!!!!

We stayed at the Hotel Belle Juliette which is in the same area and it was fabulous! Employees, Location, Hotel as a whole, and Spa are wonderful and we will be returning there. Not this place!

Room Tip: If you want a good hotel at the same value Go to the Hotel Belle Juliette. We stayed there the week...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple