“GREAT LOCATION, GREAT HOTEL”
Review of Hotel Henri IV

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Henri IV
Ranked #1,220 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Lawrence, Kansas
“GREAT LOCATION, GREAT HOTEL”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel was great! The staff was super friendly and helpful. I found the hotel room comfy. If you are one who is visiting Paris for the experience and not to sit inside a plush hotel, this your place. The location was amazing -- on Ile de Cite! Literally a 5 minute walk to Notre Dame.
Our window over looked a park with bocce courts -- with local Parisians partaking in the gorgeous summer weather. I was with a newbie to Paris, and I can't imagine a better location or a better introduction into Paris!!! This is my new go to hotel in Paris.

Room Tip: No pool or fitness center, but lugging suitcase to the top of the stairs can be quite the workout!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Amy435

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I could moan about how terrible this hotel was..
The megre breakfast.
Cold, Dirty and basic Bedroom.
Shower room in a cupboard.
Exposed Wires
Loose stair grips
Paper thin walls
Cleaner who smoked and banged about in the early hours of the morning.
BUT I WONT!!
There is plenty for the management to improve with a little effort, however most of this is well documented in the trip advisor reviews and should come as no suprise for visitors like us who seek value for money in a superb location.
This historic building is typical quintessential Paris, cramped, vertical and basic. Difficult to compare with modern expensive alternatives, but excellent value and true to character. Location, location, location, Paris grew from this little island to the metropolis of today, attractions on your doorstep only a stones throw away.
Personally we wish we'd had more choice of rooms, but with only ten available the Henri IV is often 'Complete' and you may have to take what you can get.
So in short, to visitors I'd say read the reviews to decide if you'd prefer to spend more elsewhere. Personally we'd book here again as we consider the good out weighs the bad. To the management if you read this review, I'd say fix the simple basics, especially the safety issues before its too late, I know your busy but please don't take us for granted and make your cleaner smoke outside like everyone else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Gorwydd
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are old and our private bathroom had a shower that had drainage issues. Bed and room was extremely old and uncomfortable. To top it all was the "excellent" french service - especially from the father; the son is definitely more friendly and spoke good English. Needless to say the location is convenient to Lourve, Pont Neuf Metro, Rivoli district, Seine River etc.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Sweeteners
Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We booked this hotel after a lot of searching on tripadvisor, reading all reviews, good and bad and decided to book this as we want a quiet location but in central Paris. We arrived at Gare de Nord [eurostar] and got a taxi to the hotel. It cost 20€ between the 4 of us. But beware, any normal taxi can only take maximum of 3 people and we were lucky to get a people's carrier. The hotel was as the shown on the picture and I recognised it straight away. We knew about the narrow stairs and the 5 floors to the top so when I booked, I have asked for somewhere on the 2nd floor. Our room was no.4 on the second floor and it was quite nice. Unfortunately, my stepson and his girlfriend's room was no.2 and it was on the first floor and their room was dark and small.

There is no TV, no internet in the room which is fine as I knew about this. There are no tea/coffee facilities in the room and it would have been nice if there is a small kettle in the room so that we can make a coffee or tea when we get back from a long day's walking. Our room has got only one small mirror in the bathroom so you will have to be quite confident in your ensemble before leaving your room. There is a nice space on the wall between the room door and the bedside cabinet and would have been perfect for a simple piece of mirror mounted onto the wall. There is also no hair dryer so bring your own.

The place is clean enough and the bed is firm and we slept well each night. The breakfast is simple with a capital "S". Large jug of coffee, milk, butter, jam and half a baguette is all you get. Perhaps it is too much to expect a little bit of ham, cheese and a yogurt for 95.5€ per night? I think adding a slice of cheese and ham and perhaps a small yogurt will not break their bank but would have made the breakfast so much better.

During our stay, the main light in our room was blown and I told the man on the desk but no new bulb was placed during our stay. This didn't bothered me too much. The place is clean and the staff are friendly enough, although one particular man on the desk [he was on duty one day during our stay] was more aloof and not as friendly as his colleagues.

But if you want a good night stay, this is the place for you. And only book if you are happy to accept those little things: small rooms in some cases, no hairdryers, no tea/coffees facilities, no lifts, and very little breakfast with no choice. But location is ace, you can't beat it, can walk to most places and the nearest metro is St Michel which is on line 4 and goes directly to Gare de Nord.

ps if you want a nice room, ask for room 4 on the second floor or room 9 on the floor above. The pictures from other reviewers do show room 4, the one with the purple beddings and green chair.

Room Tip: Room 2 is very small, got a long corridor and very dark, Room 4 is good, Room 9 is above room 4 and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank jwl81
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed February 16, 2013

It was my first time visiting Paris and I was alone for the first and last days of my trip so I wanted to be sure to be in a safe area. This hotel is situated in a courtyard right at the tip of an island in the Seine River. The room was cozy, clean, and a VERY good price. Everything I needed was just steps away, and I never once felt unsafe as I walked alone. I'll definitely go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Casey0101_12
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I just got back from a three night stay at this hotel. I was excited beyond belief to stay here - a hotel for this price in this location! The location is fantastic - perfect spot to go explore the city, and the square the hotel faces is what Paris dreams are made of. Once you enter the building, it all starts going downhill. The hotel has zero amenities, which is fine, but there is not even a telephone in your bedroom for reservations, and there is no internet to be had anywhere in the building. Yet we could have lived with this. The stairs are steep and winding, so if you are older, or traveling with much luggage, this could prove difficult. The bathroom in our room was a glorified closet - one had to have the door open to brush one's teeth, as there was not enough room to stand at the sink, and the shower was small, even by European standards. Again, we could have lived with this. What made the stay at this hotel truly horrible was the overwhelming stench of cigarette smoke that woke us each night, and the staff's complete and total nonchalance about the issue. Each of the three nights our room was encased with the smell of cigarette smoke, which is supposedly not permitted in the hotel, and each morning I complained at the reception. I received the reply, "What would you like me to do about it?" Even when I explained that it kept us up and that I have allergic reactions and would not have booked the room if I knew the staff permitted people to smoke in the hotel, they were unwilling to release me from the other nights without paying, and they were completely unhelpful and rude in handling the situation.
If you want a great location, but do not care for comfort, service, or all of your things to reek of cigarette smoke after the first night, this is the place for you. I do not usually write such long, or unfriendly, reviews, but was so appalled by this hotel, I had to take the time to write to warn other travelers who may have been as optimistic as I was just a few days ago!

Room Tip: The top floor has balconies looking out to the square.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
25 Thank JWKatz22

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Reviewed January 23, 2013

THis hotel is in a lovely square on Ile de la Cite by the Pont Neuf (new bridge) althogh it is infact the oldest bridge on the Seine!
The hotel is very good value but there are alot of stairs which are very narrow so you need to be fit. The double room I had was tiny but very nice with a lovely view of the square and decorated to a high standard. Lovely restaurants in the square and very central.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business