“Charming small but not cheap”

Hotel Mansart - Esprit de France
Ranked #209 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in several hotels in Paris and I know they are not cheap. Booked for me and paid for by a client I'm always keen that they get value for money, and as in Paris a hotel equals a lot of money, I expect a lot of value. Hotel Mansart has a good location near to L' Opera just off the Rue de Paix. Nice welcome at reception and up to the fifth floor to find a small cosy room very well apppointed. It is later I discover one of the smallest rooms, but it's nice nevertheless. Windows that open- a rare thing these days and a huge boon to a smoker such as myself. Big sliding door into a shower room. Nice tea tray, good strength and free Internet with the added bonus of a sensible password for each user. Your room number and a combination of letters from your name. Room service was a let down with what was described as a club sandwich with chips being a small sandwich on a plate with seven crisps. At €18 this was unforgiveable. €18 seems to be the in house price as breakfast is also the same price. Nice breakfast although on the second morning, the hot breakfast has been allowed to go cold, and I'm given a plate of microwaved sausage and bacon. Nice juices and selection of cold stuff though. I think my client paid around €400 for two nights. I accept this is Paris, but God that makes it expensive and it is a price that is hard to live up to when you add on the rip off room service. I'd stay there again if I went to Paris under my own steam, but not at that price. I'm sure deals are to be done so check out the Mansart on Web sites. If it's a good deal going, snap it up.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank claytoncast
DirectionMansart, Directeur général at Hotel Mansart - Esprit de France, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for this fully detailed comment about your last stay at the hotel Mansart.

I am happy to read that we met the most part of your expectations but will share your comments about the Club Sandwich with the management in charge of the Room Service. the service is outsourced, the provider has changed recently in order to improve the quality and the taste of the dishes proposed. regarding the breakfast I will recheck with the team that we respect the procedure by producing small quantities of eggs and sausages cooked "à la minute" but regularly.

We do usually receive good comments about the value for money in the house, but for sure depending on the season the prices are changing and I suggest like you did to check on our own website or the one of Esprit de France hôtels if there are special promotions or packages available.

Assuring you of our best care and attention at all times, we remain.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We just got back from our 14th trip to Paris and the Mansart. The hotel gets better each time we stay there. The staff is wonderful. They know their guests, and do everything they can to make each person's stay comfortable. The rooms are generously sized by Paris standards, and breakfast is better than most. If you like art and music you can not find a more convenient location. But the staff and manager are what sets the Mansart apart from other hotels.

Room Tip: Discuss your needs directly with the staff. Book early, this hotel is very popular with business tr...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

I am happy to read that you had a safe trip back home, I thank you very much for your very nice comment and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again before the end of the year. Best regards. Emmanuel Gamez

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Price was what you can expect to pay in a major city like Paris, London, New York.
Value was good. Well appointed, comfortable. Extremely well located at Place Vendome. Louvre, Concorde, Orangerie, etc, all easy walking distance. Pharmacy, post office, well stocked Monoprix, all easily walking. Entrance on a quiet small cross street. Friendly service at every level. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a level 2 room. Comfortable size. Small foyer area so you had 2 doors from the hallway. Faced...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your experience of the hotel Mansart on Tripadvisor, I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Located just next to place Vendome/rue de la Paix, it was the first time I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. The location is perfect and the lobby is nice and cosy.
I think I had one of the smallest room of the hotel. It is not a problem in Paris to have a small room when this one is well organised, clear,... which was not the case. Obviously, this kind of room would really need some refurbishment.
Then, regarding the service itself: the check-in was not particularly welcoming (it was my first time there and no explaination about the hotel, no little word ...); the staff for breakfast was apparently bored; the check-out was ok.
As usual in Paris, it is a four star hotel that could be great with small investment. But as usual in Paris, even small, the investment is rarely done.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
DirectionMansart, Directeur général at Hotel Mansart - Esprit de France, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your experience of the hotel Mansart.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed some points of your stay, regarding the check in, we do work regularly together with the team in order to improve the level of service.

We have in the house 5 different kind of rooms, the club rooms (the one you booked from what I can read on Tripadvisor) is usually more convenient for people who are coming for business and for short stays, the size is about 15 square meters in total. then we have classic rooms (about 25 square meters), Superior rooms (about 35 square meters) facing a larger courtyard or the small one way street of Capucines, also Deluxe rooms and Junior Suites facing the begining of place Vendôme.

I can assure you that we do work all the year long on light refurbishments and usually 4 rooms are completely refurbished in a year.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again soon in order to prove you that you made the right choice by booking the hotel Mansart.

Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was very accommodating. We had a nice spacious bathroom. View was not great. Request a view towards the street. The room was on the small side room 504. The TV was on top of the mini bar which was quite random. Fantastic location. Walking distance to many tourist areas

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Everything was perfectly adequate. The staff extremely friendly. My room was on the small side but nothing was missing including a kettle for the odd cup of coffe or tea. Ample good breakfast. the location could not be better, literally meters away from Place Vendôme with several interesting trendy restaurant a stone throw away. Rue du Faubourg Saint Honoré shopping, the Louvre and the Comédie are all accessible by foot. Many metro stations are to be found close by.

Room Tip: Ask to see several rooms before check-in. I saw a gentleman ask to see two or more so he could make...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Sixtine
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Nice hotel, in a nice part of Paris.

However room was hot, AC was too noisy. Internet was so bad, I could not VPN to get emails.

I have stayed in many hotels in Paris over the past 18 months.. This one was smart, but overpriced

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business