“Nasty desk attendant w/attitude”

Best Western Premier Opera Opal
Ranked #491 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Kulpsville, Pennsylvania
“Nasty desk attendant w/attitude”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The night desk attendant refused to call the cab company that I requested for transportation to CDG. He took a short, condescending tone with me and insisted that he call another company for me and assured me that they would accept American Express for payment. This was important to me as I travel often for work and need to put all charges on my Amex for reporting purposes. He was there on Friday morning when I was picked up by the cab company and informed that they did not accept Amex and gave me a smug look and shrugged his shoulders. This was unacceptable and should never be tolerable behavior from an employee. I travel rather frequently for my job and will not consider the Best Western Opal hotel on my next visit to Paris. Other than this short, shaved head desk attendant, I found the staff and building agreeable and in a decent location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Chuck T
Nathalie D, Directeur général at Best Western Premier Opera Opal, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Mister William,
First of all I would like to thank you for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay in hotel Opal. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for the problem you encountered during your journey to go to the airport.
Our team indeed made two mistakes: We would never have to oblige one of our customers to order a transfer with the company we are working with, it is a transfer with a fix rate, and I reminded all my team that customers should always have the choice to order this transfer or a regular taxi.
Then, I am a bit surprised about the reaction of my employee when the taxi driver told you that they did not accept American express. He of course must have called another company which accept American express and cancelled the taxi he ordered for you before.
I wanted to underline that I will take a personal care about controlling that every single wish from our customers will be respected when they order a taxi.
Once again, please accept our apologies for this mistake. I sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us in the future and we will make sure to provide you a better service.
Warm regards,
Nathalie Dupont

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Most of th reception dont know how to smile. Except te young gentleman whom i checked in to on may 6. i got throom on 5th floor. The lift was so slow. On the secondday we can not get in.something wrong with the key. So we have togo down. On the day we checkout. May7, we let the reception. A girl with the glass that the lift was broken. She said. Yes I know. Then we asked if there somone can help us. We have big luggage. How togo down from the 5th floor. She said. no one. i can not help you. Because i am a woman what kind of answer isthat. What a bad experience.its not a 4 star. Its a minus star

Dear Sir or Madam,
First, I would like to thank you for completing the survey. It really helps us to improve our service.
We indeed had a problem with our lift on the 8th and the 9th of May, so I am a bit surprised that you encountered some problems with the elevator on the 7th of May. Both days were holiday in France, and we made our best to fix the problem quickly. As we really depend to the elevator company for maintenance, we have been constrained to wait their coming. We had to react and this is why we hired a baggage handler to take care of our customer’s luggage. It is possible that when you checked-out the baggage handler was not arrived yet and unfortunately you could not enjoy this service.
I hope you can understand that this is totally independent of our wish and that we made our best to react to this problem. I hope you will stay with us for your next stay in Paris !

Kind regards,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Good Value. First time travelers to Paris from illinois.

Id like to say that Im upidy and have discriminating taste. So when I advise you to sat at a best western it doesn't come without merit. Will agree the rooms are tiny but very clean and modern. Definitely a boutique hotel. The front desk was pleasant and though we never ate there - a restaurant was downstairs.

We were helped out with taxis and landmarks and the staff was always helpful. You cannot beat this location for the price and modernity (safety that hotel opal affords you).

The hotel locked their doors after dark and because of the nicer neighborhood I did see police patrolling the area. There were many shops right outside the hotel and a 10/ 15 min cab ride had you in the city center.

Things to remember:
Paris is not like the US where bigger is better. It's not necessarily super friendly to the larger individual. My husband has the former football build....The rooms in most hotels are smaller, showers are laughable, and elevators do not carry generally more than one person and one suitcase. We made 2 trips in elevator in since it was very slow one trip up the four flights of stairs.

Note the Parisians are never in a hurry about anything especially dining.

Restaurants have smaller chairs and try and pack in as many people as possible into an already cramped space.

This hotel room was smaller than a New York compact hotel but definitely did the trick. Remember your not there that much. Our room had a window, queen bed, 2 side tables, and a tv. A closet for hanging suits and dresses and our bags went by the side of the bed ( stepped over each morning).

The bathroom was spacious in comparison with all the modern fixtures. Very clean and decorated in all white. best feature real hot water. The shower was much bigger than past hotels and I would almost say it might have even fit two people -which is unheard of

Need an iron? Go to get it from the front desk because its not in your room. Not sure if its a matter of it not fitting or if it just isn't an item the French use much. Suggest bringing your own hand held steamer because its a hassles to get each time you need it.

All and all I wish I would have used this hotel my entire trip instead of using a new hotel closer to moulin rouge ( trying a new closer to town location) and feeling like I might get murdered for our two night stay.

Stay here. It's very beautiful, safe, English speaking and they take credit cards. It's very close to museums, sites, and awesome shopping ( H andM, Zara, Louis Vuitton, Dior, , ect)

Not sure if its 4 stars or not ( i mean its operated by best western which i would never even generally consider) but I was comfortable, the pictures didn't lie, and not only did we have a great time but moreover we weren't second guessing this decision to stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Nathalie D, Directeur général at Best Western Premier Opera Opal, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Sir or Madam,
First of all we would like to thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
Your feedback is very important for us and we use them to deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel, don’t hesitate to ask for a bigger room if you stay with us for your next visit in Paris! We offer a wide range of rooms to delight every single customer.
Regarding the steamer and the iron board, I think that our receptionist forgot to mention all services we can provide you in our hotel and we apologize for that. We have several amenities that you can use anytime when you need it, don’t hesitate to ask our receptionist for any question or need.
Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand and we are sincerely glad that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you as soon as possible in our hotel.
Yours sincerely,

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2013

hi i was stay for one night at the hotel friday 9 of jan .the reception cleark was friendly but barly understand basic english.buffe breakfast is realy exspencive 15 euros a person and we got unfresh milk .when we ask another coffee the waiter did sour face and also disapire the cereal milk to the kitchen.then i went to the toilet stomach problems so she was so rude she blame me that i was block the toilet pushee the loo.this is ashame to critise your guset like that.the room was realy dark but very clean and central.the reception was doing great effort for my wishes.i got good impersion even if it is tipical french paris atitude.i hope they do not stop pushee.

Room Tip: room was fine but the breakfast face blame the guset awful room was with great view to main chambar...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
NATDUP21, Directeur général at Best Western Premier Opera Opal, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations regarding the breakfast service and the fact that you have been offended by one of our employee. Maybe our employee misunderstood something and this is why her reaction seemed to be rude to you. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel during our last night in Europe after visiting Normandy. The stay was looking promising at check-in, but it didn't live up to our expectations. The front desk clerk was very helpful and spoke good English. We got our room key and headed to the elevator, or perhaps I should say coffin. My wife and I literally had to play twister to we could both fit in the car with our two bags. The room was clean and nicely appointed, but one of the shower doors was missing, there was only a half roll of toilet paper with no backup, and there were no tissues available. To end on a positive note, however, I will point out that our room did have a queen bed and the location is excellent.

We skipped breakfast in order to pack for our return to the U.S., so I have no food commentary for this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
We really apologize that one of the bathroom door was missing and the toilet paper as well it must be a lack of attention of our team. We will consider your feedback to make sure that this kind of careless mistake will not happen again in the future.
I hope that you will consider staying with us for your next trip in Paris so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed December 21, 2012

While it is ideal for a quick stop in paris, it is not if you are planning to try to feel the luxuries of optimal hospitality. It is centrally located between La Madeleine and the Opera Garnier, Blocks from the best shopping and Place Vendome. While the room is comfortable enough, and it has all the amenities It is probably the details that throw you off a little. There were two light bulbs out, the shower barrier leaked at the bottom and pretty much floods the bathroom floor if you are not careful, the bed was a little squeaky but I slept very well. The safe didn't work properly. I think that for the price it was good enough, they try. The small lobby is cozy with a modern fire place and a beverage offering. (not free)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for giving us your feedback regarding your last stay at our hotel.
We sincerely apologize that you encountered some problems due to a careless mistake. If you visit us next time don’t hesitate to ask our team if you need more information about how to use our amenities, for the safe for example. We will do all our best to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed for 5 days, and the rating is based on the price/quality , at 434 euro a night the hotel is extremely little for a heap of money. I got a room facing the noisy street, what was worse is that the metro trains caused the building to tremble! I had problems sleeping. Spacious room, and a large but dirty bathroom. The bistro in the hotel building is bad, but there is plenty of other places to eat nearby. Location is good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for giving us your feedback regarding your last stay at our hotel.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. If you visit us next time don’t hesitate to ask for a high floor and maybe a room facing the courtyard.